Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Byes at the Closed

Originally posted by Pierre Denommee View Post
    This motion would be very dangerous. The extra player is nice, but he has to enter the tournament in round one and he must be paired as a normal player. The effect is the same as a filler, risk free.
    Pierre - see my later post. It satisfies all the conditions you state here. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Stuart Brammall View Post
      Presumably you would also have to dissallow requested byes so that you maintain that even number.
      According to FIDE Swiss Rule, half a point byes are always disallowed. There is one European country in which any TD caught giving a half-point bye is at risk for a lifetime suspension from directing . Neddless to say, they have about 1 400 certified TD, 31 IA and 30 FA. They can afford to loose a few :p.

They are strictly enforcing this FIDE Swiss Dutch rule F.5
      Players who withdraw from the tournament will no longer be paired. Players known in advance not to play in a particular round are not paired in that round and score 0.

http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.ht...3&view=article

This is no sporting sense in getting the credit for a draw without playing.

Comment

According to FIDE Swiss Rule, half a point byes are always disallowed. There is one European country in which any TD caught giving a half-point bye is at risk for a lifetime suspension from directing . Neddless to say, they have about 1 400 certified TD, 31 IA and 30 FA. They can afford to loose a few :p.

They are strictly enforcing this FIDE Swiss Dutch rule F.5
        Players who withdraw from the tournament will no longer be paired. Players known in advance not to play in a particular round are not paired in that round and score 0.

http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.ht...3&view=article

This is no sporting sense in getting the credit for a draw without playing.
        I was not commenting specifically on half point byes, but rather noting that any requested bye (whether worth 1/2 or 0) would make an even pairing pool odd (and vice versa).

However since you brought it up....

I abosolutely do not subscribe to the idea that European is better
        Further, you can use any pairing system you want for a FIDE event as you will see in FIDE handbook section C.06.9.e-f and so it seems any arbiters who have been suspended have strong grounds for appeal.

Personally, I am all for leaving it up to the organizers which system to use...

Comment

So what this really means is you have a tournament with an even number of players... with one player perhaps being below the qualification standards?

Presumably you would also have to dissallow requested byes so that you maintain that even number.

You would likly also have to prevent people from withdrawing from the tournament.

Suddenly this is not so simple...
          I emailed Stewart Reuben, who didn't have any trouble answering the main question. However, he also forwarded it to the even-more-senior-in-FIDE guy Mikko Markkula. I'll let y'all see the two replies, when I receive the second one. Hint: if Markkula agrees with Reuben, all of these worries will be as nothing.

Comment

There are four different Swiss parings systems endorsed by FIDE: Dutch, Lim, Dubov and Burstein. Although FIDE accepts all of them, France has decided that only the Dutch system is acceptable in France.

I like to use the Dubov system when the conditions are right. I am also in favor of keeping the option to use any pairing systems endorsed by FIDE.

In order to improve the pairing system, arbiters are allowed to experiment new pairing methods.

I abosolutely do not subscribe to the idea that European is better

Further, you can use any pairing system you want for a FIDE event as you will see in FIDE handbook section C.06.9.e-f and so it seems any arbiters who have been suspended have strong grounds for appeal.

Personally, I am all for leaving it up to the organizers which system to use...

Comment

Guert Gijssen on Chess Cafe was against half-point byes because they can be used to manipulate the pairing system.

One of the hardest problem faced by a norm seeker in a Swiss tournament is to get the required mix of opponents. It is feared that by taking a bye, a player could favour another player by granting him the opponent that he need for a norm. Furthermore, if a tournament has more then 9 rounds, the norm seeker himself could take a bye to increase his change to met a required opponents.

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
              I emailed Stewart Reuben, who didn't have any trouble answering the main question. However, he also forwarded it to the even-more-senior-in-FIDE guy Mikko Markkula. I'll let y'all see the two replies, when I receive the second one. Hint: if Markkula agrees with Reuben, all of these worries will be as nothing.
              Last edited by Pierre Denommee; Monday, 16th May, 2011, 07:53 PM.

Comment

There are four different Swiss parings systems endorsed by FIDE: Dutch, Lim, Dubov and Burstein. Although FIDE accepts all of them, France has decided that only the Dutch system is acceptable in France.

I like to use the Dubov system when the conditions are right. I am also in favor of keeping the option to use any pairing systems endorsed by FIDE.

In order to improve the pairing system, arbiters are allowed to experiment new pairing methods.
                FIDE does allow some space for variance, but not hand-pairing favouritism of the past. Computer-programmed pairings are verifiable. Interesting that FIDE doesn't recognize the CFC's SwissSys8 which has occasionally produced buggy pairings like last year's Canadian Open, yet they will rate our tournaments.

Below is the list of FIDE endorsed programmes (supported by Microsoft Windows) and their respective capabilities:
                a. SWISS MASTER (Koninklijke Nederlandse Schaakbond NED) Dutch System
                b. SWISS MANAGER (Heinz Herzog AUT) Dutch System
                c. WINSWISS (Franz-Josef Weber GER) Dutch System
                d. VEGA (Luigi Forlano ITA) Dubov System
                e. TURNERING SERVICE (Harald Heggelund NOR) Dutch System
                f. Tournament Director (Neil Hayward ENG) Dutch System

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
                  FIDE does allow some space for variance, but not hand-pairing favouritism of the past. Computer-programmed pairings are verifiable. Interesting that FIDE doesn't recognize the CFC's SwissSys8 which has occasionally produced buggy pairings like last year's Canadian Open, yet they will rate our tournaments.

Below is the list of FIDE endorsed programmes (supported by Microsoft Windows) and their respective capabilities:
                  Is it known what pairing system was used for the closed? I presume it was the CFC-endorsed SwissSys (try saying that more than once fast). Was the computer-pairing system used in all cases, or were there tweaks applied?

If tweaks are applied, is it customary to note that on submissions to FIDE? For that matter, when submitting a tournament for rating, is it customary or required to indicate how the pairings were made; ie: what program, what version, what adjustments[if any]
                  ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Vega is also available on Linux. It is free on Linux, but it must be bought on Windows. It cost a mere 50$, which is the least expensive of the lot. The latest version of Vega also offer FIDE Dutch pairings but this addition to the software has not yet been approved by FIDE. It looks like FIDE has withdrawn endorsement from DOS pairing software.

You should try those pairing programs before buying them because many cannot handle half-point byes. This is not a requirement for endorsement by FIDE.

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
                    Last edited by Pierre Denommee; Tuesday, 17th May, 2011, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X