Clear All

• Chessbase report on Canadian Closed

On Chessbase, there is a report of the Canadian Closed, with pix and videos

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=7223

Re: Chessbase report on Canadian Closed

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
    On Chessbase, there is a report of the Canadian Closed, with pix and videos

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=7223
    I noticed in the preamble (on the front page) it points out that Sambuev is "2750 on the Canadian rating scale (2513 FIDE)" but in the actual report under his picture it simply says "The winner on tiebreak: GM Bator Sambuev, rated 2750" - unintentionally misleading...

Of course, it is great to see coverage of CFC events...

I also wondered about this sentence:

"The tournament, housed in the University Centre’s Peter Clark Hall, played host to 29 of the best Canada has to offer, topped by Grandmaster Bator Sambuev."

with ratings ranging from 2020 (CFC) to 2750 (CFC), that seems like a rather simplistic statement (although I am sure it was intended to highlight the relative strength of the event).
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
      I noticed in the preamble (on the front page) it points out that Sambuev is "2750 on the Canadian rating scale (2513 FIDE)" but in the actual report under his picture it simply says "The winner on tiebreak: GM Bator Sambuev, rated 2750" - unintentionally misleading...

Of course, it is great to see coverage of CFC events...

I also wondered about this sentence:

"The tournament, housed in the University Centre’s Peter Clark Hall, played host to 29 of the best Canada has to offer, topped by Grandmaster Bator Sambuev."

with ratings ranging from 2020 (CFC) to 2750 (CFC), that seems like a rather simplistic statement (although I am sure it was intended to highlight the relative strength of the event).
      It never ceases to astound me how far folks sometimes go to be critical. In this case, I believe the criticism is quite wrongheaded. :( The ChessBase report is, of course, entirely accurate. It did not say "the 29 best Canada has to offer" but rather "29 of the best" which is undoubtedly correct. As for Sambuev, it beats me why any Canadian would dispute the use of his CFC rating as he has earned it at the expense of his fellow Canadians!:)

Comment

Good job putting together the report von Keitz!

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
          It never ceases to astound me how far folks sometimes go to be critical. In this case, I believe the criticism is quite wrongheaded. :( The ChessBase report is, of course, entirely accurate. It did not say "the 29 best Canada has to offer" but rather "29 of the best" which is undoubtedly correct. As for Sambuev, it beats me why any Canadian would dispute the use of his CFC rating as he has earned it at the expense of his fellow Canadians!:)
          Relax. I thought it was curiously worded - that is all... I believe I mentioned that I understood the intent! AND, the point is that ChessBase should be smart enough to quote ONLY FIDE ratings unless the rating is attributed to a federation; eg: "rating is 2750" means a FIDE rating, whereas "rating is 2750(Cdn) or 2750(USCF)" is clearer. No need to be astounded.
          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Good work, Michael von Keitz.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
              Relax. I thought it was curiously worded - that is all... I believe I mentioned that I understood the intent! AND, the point is that ChessBase should be smart enough to quote ONLY FIDE ratings unless the rating is attributed to a federation; eg: "rating is 2750" means a FIDE rating, whereas "rating is 2750(Cdn) or 2750(USCF)" is clearer. No need to be astounded.
              Making a comment that can in any way be interpreted as criticism (constructive or not does not matter) is totally unacceptable, especially on a message board. :) If a tournament gets a report on Chessbase.com it must mean it was perfect, ratings and all.

Comment

123456790 :)
                Last edited by Jean Hébert; Wednesday, 18th May, 2011, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                  Making a comment that can in any way be interpreted as criticism (constructive or not does not matter) is totally unacceptable, especially on a message board. :) If a tournament gets a report on Chessbase.com it must mean it was perfect, ratings and all.
                  we got it the first time!

Comment

There's a typo in the second sentence. This is quite perturbing.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucas Davies View Post
                      There's a typo in the second sentence. This is quite perturbing.
                      Yes. However, one can not miss the suggestion CFC ratings are 200 or more points higher than FIDE ratings. A Canadian rating minus 200 points being a fair estimation of playing strength in the worldwide player pool.

Possibly others see the use of the term "Canadian rating scale" differently. I thought it was pointed.
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

CFC Rating " Inflation "?

Hi Gary:

This disparity is now causing domestic problems.

Our Olympiad Team members chosen by rating are judged on their average of highest CFC and highest FIDE ratings. Here's where the CFC " inflation " comes in. Someone playing often in Canada has raised their CFC rating, though they have an ordinary FIDE rating, 200 pts. lower. Another Can. has a higher FIDE rating, playing more on the international circuit, but has a low CFC rating, relatively speaking, because they have not been playing much in Canada. When the averages are compared the one with the higher CFC rating comes in first. Is s/he really better? Or is an " inflated " CFC rating skewering the judging system ability to determine the stronger?

Bob

Comment

Would there be a way to have all master vs master games rated by FIDE in addition to CFC? I suppose rules demand either the entire tourney be so, or none.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Baljeu View Post
                            Would there be a way to have all master vs master games rated by FIDE in addition to CFC? I suppose rules demand either the entire tourney be so, or none.
                            Also I believe that you can submit your FIDE rated games played outside Canada to CFC to be rated under Canadian rating sistem.

Here is an example.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                              Yes. However, one can not miss the suggestion CFC ratings are 200 or more points higher than FIDE ratings. A Canadian rating minus 200 points being a fair estimation of playing strength in the worldwide player pool.

Possibly others see the use of the term "Canadian rating scale" differently. I thought it was pointed.
                              Sorry Gary:

Your quoted difference of 200 points is way off the mark. I worked this out about 4 months ago, and I think it's about 90 points for the top 20 active players, which is what we're more interested in. I'll look up the spreadsheet when I get back to the computer it's on next week.

Comment

Working...
                              X