Difference between FIDE and CFC Ratings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Difference between FIDE and CFC Ratings

Grandmaster Bator Sambuev lives in Quebec, not in Ontario. A sample size of seven or eight is hardly likely to be useful in coming to any conclusions that are statistically significant.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
      Very good work !!

Here's what it means after a little algebraic rearranging:

FIDE = CFC - 43.6 - 1.3*G

In layman's terms it means that someone who didn't play any CFC games should have a FIDE rating 43.6 points lower. This discrepancy increases by 1.3 for every CFC game that is played.
      If any of my statistics professors had seen this analysis their heads would have exploded. GIGO.

FIDE = CFC -43.6 -7.5D

My formulation shows that FIDE rating is related to CFC rating by the above formula where D is digits (number of fingers and toes). Of course in most cases I have had to estimate the number of digits since most chessplayers wear shoes at tournaments. It might be safer to choose the relationship:

FIDE = CFC - 43.6 - 15F

where F stands for the the number of digits on each chess players hands (fingers and toes) which is more easily observed than the number of digits which includes toes.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
        If any of my statistics professors had seen this analysis their heads would have exploded. GIGO.

FIDE = CFC -43.6 -7.5D

My formulation shows that FIDE rating is related to CFC rating by the above formula where D is digits (number of fingers and toes). Of course in most cases I have had to estimate the number of digits since most chessplayers wear shoes at tournaments. It might be safer to choose the relationship:

FIDE = CFC - 43.6 - 15F

where F stands for the the number of digits on each chess players hands (fingers and toes) which is more easily observed than the number of digits which includes toes.
        Of course this observation is statistically significant but irrelevant as the number of fingers and toes has no relationship with CFC or FIDE ratings. Further adding to the murky thinking is that some of the names on the low end of the range of CFC games played had their initial CFC rating calculated from their FIDE rating for example Anton Kovalyov.

http://www.chess.ca/memberinfoSQL.asp?CFCN=142449

Hardly any CFC games played in the last two years and lo and behold his CFC and FIDE ratings are much closer together. Of course since they apparently took his FIDE rating as the starting point for his first CFC tournament we are looking at a statistical tautology. What does it mean? Nothing.

Players who spend a lot of time playing in FIDE pools and no time playing in CFC pools over the last two years show no difference between their FIDE and CFC rating. What does it mean? Nothing.

You create meaning out of nothing by making the erroneous assumption that there is some relationship and using a very small sample to arrive at your data points. Linear regression works only if the data points have some kind of meaning and relationship. The people who show no difference between FIDE and CFC ratings played no games and therefore the universe is in balance. Those dastardly individuals who ***GASP!!!!*** played in lots of CFC games have a huge gap when compared to those who played no CFC games. LETS ADJUST THE RATINGS AGAIN TO CORRECT THIS NON-EXISTENT ANOMALY!!!!!

I would accuse you of using similar statistical methods as those so called climate scientists but unfortunately I think their statistical constructions are even more flimsy than these.

You want to raise your FIDE rating? Play in Europe, New York, Chicago, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Jamaica, Brazil, Siberia, Dubai or Manila but NOT in Toronto, Guelph or Kitchener.

Comment

Of course this observation is statistically significant but irrelevant as the number of fingers and toes has no relationship with CFC or FIDE ratings.
          Players who spend a lot of time playing in FIDE pools and no time playing in CFC pools over the last two years show no difference between their FIDE and CFC rating. What does it mean? Nothing

Kitchener.
          starting with a hypothesis that the observed difference is related to an inflation on a per game basis, especially when per game bonus points have been awarded and testing that hypothesis is totally reasonable. Of course, it may be possible that the model is wrong and the regression is spurious but there is never any certainty about any model being right.

As to complaining about the number of data points not being enough for meaningful statistics, that's what t stats are for. Besides, the observation that Ontario ratings seem inflated has been made before in other older posts with different data. How much analysis do you need? Or do you insist on claiming a 2700 rating is either real or just within acceptable statistical variation?

Comment

FIDE = CFC -43.6 -7.5D

FIDE = CFC - 43.6 - 15F

Vlad:

I am merely trying to explore some ideas for looking at differences between FIDe and CFC ratings.

1) I was trying to establish a reasonable difference between the two at the top end of the CFC rating spectrum.

2) I was trying to explore Roger's suggestion of bringing the number of games played as a possible variable. A statistical analysis was presented by a poster and I interpreted it based on the variables it contained.

Correct in both cases I only used 20 cases.

Your over the top dismissal of the information hardly proves or disproves anything. If there was a mistake made, please share it.

Certainly there is no interest on anyone at the CFC's on adjusting the ratings of CFC members. There is interest (at least by me) in seeing the effect of the performance bonus on member's ratings.

Comment

You create meaning out of nothing by making the erroneous assumption that there is some relationship and using a very small sample to arrive at your data points.
              After removing some "nothings", the R.P. idea still holds: there is a strong relationship of the ratings difference (FIDE-CFC) on the top of the CFC list.

Code:
              1	Samb.	2725	2497	107	-228	http://www.chess.ca/memberinfoSQL.asp?CFCN=146462
              2	Gerz.	2629	2497	44	-132	http://www.chess.ca/memberinfoSQL.asp?CFCN=142916
              3	Char.	2585	2511	15	-74	http://www.chess.ca/memberinfoSQL.asp?CFCN=108065
              4	Sams.	2576	2402	86	-174	http://www.chess.ca/memberinfoSQL.asp?CFCN=146305
              5	Nori.	2556	2408	99	-148	http://www.chess.ca/memberinfoSQL.asp?CFCN=132534
              6	Hans.	2537	2412	69	-125	http://www.chess.ca/memberinfoSQL.asp?CFCN=132475
              7	Porp.	2517	2437	44	-80	http://www.chess.ca/memberinfoSQL.asp?CFCN=136955
              8	Chen.	2485	2376	45	-109	http://www.chess.ca/memberinfoSQL.asp?CFCN=141968
              9	Krna.	2470	2390	16	-80	http://www.chess.ca/memberinfoSQL.asp?CFCN=132215
              10	Cumm.	2456	2369	51	-87	http://www.chess.ca/memberinfoSQL.asp?CFCN=123161
              11	Hart.	2453	2392	36	-61	http://www.chess.ca/memberinfoSQL.asp?CFCN=102700
              12	Yoos.	2452	2382	40	-70	http://www.chess.ca/memberinfoSQL.asp?CFCN=107994
              13	O'Don.	2451	2358	36	-93	http://www.chess.ca/memberinfoSQL.asp?CFCN=106245
              14	Panj.	2450	2416	18	-34	http://www.chess.ca/memberinfoSQL.asp?CFCN=121202

correlation	-0.884349586				
              	intercept	-29.74532214				
              	linest	-1.527713159	-29.74532214			
              	average	-106.7857143

Comment

As there are not a lot of Active tournaments at this level, I doubt that would make a big difference to these figures.

So my plan is:

1) try to factor out performance bonuses and see what we get.

2) bring the study 6 months ahead to just before the long weekend (up to and including the Can Closed kind of thing - which data I can get from FIDE site) or wait until the June FIDE ratings, depending on how much time I have to work on this.
                I worked through players results from the end of Nov up to and including this past weekend (as FIDE has the results for both the Ontario Open and the Keres).

If anybody wants the raw line by line data let me know. Otherwise here are some findings.

Total # of CFC games played = 242
                Total # of CFC rating points gained = 155

So 0.64 rating points gained per game is considerably less than the 1.3 the CFC vs FIDE data was suggesting yesterday. Of course the number of games chosen for the dataset yesterday was a bit arbitrary.

Compare to the FIDE games

Total # of FIDE games played = 368
                Total # of FIDE rating points gained = 41
                So 0.11 rating points gained per game. This seems reasonable.

I tried to factor out the performance bonuses. The bonuses can be taken at face value if achieved in the most recent event, after that they are reduced by a factor correlated to the percentage of the current rating the older tournament data represents. I can explain this in more detail, if anybody wants to know.

I calculated 79 performance bonus points were present from the raw 105 bonus points, in the last 6 months data.

Number of CFC games played = 242
                Approximate number of points gained (excluding performance bonus) = 76
                This brings the CFC rating points per game increase down to 0.31. Is this an acceptable number ?

I decided to split the group up into 3 sub-groups by age

1) 25 and under
                2) 26-40
                3) over 40

Using the adjusted (without performance bonus) CFC gains

1) 136 games played +64 rating points = + 0.47 per game
                2) 46 games played +6 rating points = + 0.13 per game
                3) 60 games played +6 rating points = + 0.10 per game

Using the FIDE gains

1) 213 games played +26 rating points = + 0.12 per game
                2) 38 games played +37 rating points = + 0.97 per game
                -I suppose this apparent anomaly is mostly explained by Sambuev bringing his FIDE rating up to his playing strength at an accelerated rate
                3) 117 games played -22 rating points = - 0.19 per game

Using only the raw performance bonus

1) 70 points approximately 23 tournaments = + 3.0 per tournament
                2) 30 points approximately 6 tournaments = + 5.0 per tournament
                3) 5 points approximately 10 tournaments = + 0.5 per tournament

I have made a recent recommendation to the rest of the Executive that the performance bonus no longer be applied to players over 2000.

Comment

I tried to factor out the performance bonuses. The bonuses can be taken at face value if achieved in the most recent event, after that they are reduced by a factor correlated to the percentage of the current rating the older tournament data represents. I can explain this in more detail, if anybody wants to know.
                  I can hardly wait.

Let's not lose track that while the amount of points per game might be small, the rating difference over a period of years tends to multiply and inflate the rating system in relation to the FIDE system.

The integrity of the rating system must take priority over complaints of rating deflation. Trying to rationalize the result of changes, where there may have been unintended consequences of the changes, is not an ideal situation.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Ontario Open.
                    The Open section brought +24 points into the CFC rating pool (sum(New-Old)), and removed -4 from FIDE (sum(K*change)).

CFC http://chess.ca/xtableSQL.asp?TNum=201105048
                    FIDE http://ratings.fide.com/tournament_r...?event16=58011

Other sections
                    U2000 +35
                    U1600 -60. This section have 2 new members (not included into a sum), and two non-established (included; -25 & -92).

that the performance bonus no longer be applied to players over 2000.
                    and the "16" should be reduce to "10" for higher ratings (2400 or 2500).
                    I think that the CFC rating and FIDE should almost match for the top CAN players.

Comment

Lets look at the Ontario Closed top section.

There was a total net gain of 24 points. Twenty points was from results bonuses of ten points each for Leonid Gerzhoy and Nikolay Noritsyn. Four points were created because the masters lost 4 points and the under 2200s gained 8 points because of the different rating multipliers (I suspect).

If there is anything to your analysis of activity and rating differential it is this. Players who play more have more chances to obtain a results bonus. The top players tend to win more tournaments and cash in more results bonuses.

Any analysis which goes back only 18 months and tries to calculate a regression analysis on the FIDE vs CFC rating differential based on games played is deeply flawed and incorrect. You need to look at when the results bonus was added. You have to go back to the CFC rating boon which happened before 2007 and factor in participation points. I believe that the CFC and FIDE differential was about 50 points before all these manipulations took place.

Comment

I have made a recent recommendation to the rest of the Executive that the performance bonus no longer be applied to players over 2000.
                        Is that something that would have to be voted on by the governors?

Comment

Lets look at the Ontario Closed top section.

There was a total net gain of 24 points. Twenty points was from results bonuses of ten points each for Leonid Gerzhoy and Nikolay Noritsyn. Four points were created because the masters lost 4 points and the under 2200s gained 8 points because of the different rating multipliers (I suspect).

If there is anything to your analysis of activity and rating differential it is this. Players who play more have more chances to obtain a results bonus. The top players tend to win more tournaments and cash in more results bonuses.

Any analysis which goes back only 18 months and tries to calculate a regression analysis on the FIDE vs CFC rating differential based on games played is deeply flawed and incorrect. You need to look at when the results bonus was added. You have to go back to the CFC rating boon which happened before 2007 and factor in participation points. I believe that the CFC and FIDE differential was about 50 points before all these manipulations took place.
                          It wasn't my original idea to do a regression. I only interpreted the results.

Today I presented some evidence that would indicate yesterday's results weren't exactly correct, as we were worried about the size of the slope of the line. The slope might be only half the size of what yesterday suggested.

For players let's say 2400+ (pretty well the group the study was done on)there would seem to be a good liklihood that these guys are picking up performance bonuses at a good clip. The results of the Ontario Open show just that.

The analysis could be completely different if we look at the group of players between 2200 and 2400.

Comment

Is that something that would have to be voted on by the governors?
                            Did the Governors vote on the implementation of the scheme in the first place?
                            I really don't recall... I'm just saying.
                            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                              Did the Governors vote on the implementation of the scheme in the first place?
                              I really don't recall... I'm just saying.
                              Kevin Spraggett seems to suggest that it was your and Peter Stockhausen's motion that established it, so presumably, the governors did vote on it then and their vote would thus be required to rescind it unless we have become a dictatorship in the interim.

Comment

Kevin Spraggett seems to suggest that it was your and Peter Stockhausen's motion that established it, so presumably, the governors did vote on it then and their vote would thus be required to rescind it unless we have become a dictatorship in the interim.
                                Wow. I don't recall that at all...

Do you have a link to Spraggett's post about that? I will have to search all the old GLs I suppose...
                                ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Working...
                                X