Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Difference between FIDE and CFC Ratings

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
    Kevin Spraggett seems to suggest that it was your and Peter Stockhausen's motion that established it, so presumably, the governors did vote on it then and their vote would thus be required to rescind it unless we have become a dictatorship in the interim.
    I think Kevin named Lyle Craver as Stockhausen's motion partner, not Kerry Liles. In any event, why is this stuff important? We're a small chess community here in Canada, effectively made even smaller by virtue of fragmentation via geography and politics, and there are bound to be anomalies, inequities, blah-blah-blah, in our ratings. My question: so what?
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
    "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Any analysis which goes back only 18 months and tries to calculate a regression analysis on the FIDE vs CFC rating differential based on games played is deeply flawed and incorrect. You need to look at when the results bonus was added. You have to go back to the CFC rating boon which happened before 2007 and factor in participation points. I believe that the CFC and FIDE differential was about 50 points before all these manipulations took place.
      A number of games is not a cause of the problem (should we forbid to play to get CFC=FIDE or smth else? ) The bonus points (performance and participation) were implemented to decrease a deflation, and IMHO without much thoughts what they could do for several strong-players ratings. Is it a problem? Probably not a big deal. It might be an issue for CAN players playing in US (they might be placed in higher sections). Some issues with an Olympic team members selection based on FIDE and CFC ratings.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
        I think Kevin named Lyle Craver as Stockhausen's motion partner, not Kerry Liles. In any event, why is this stuff important? We're a small chess community here in Canada, effectively made even smaller by virtue of fragmentation via geography and politics, and there are bound to be anomalies, inequities, blah-blah-blah, in our ratings. My question: so what?
        Thanks Peter, for the clarification. I couldn't imagine I would have even seconded such a motion...
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
          Thanks Peter, for the clarification. I couldn't imagine I would have even seconded such a motion...
          Better to clear it up now than to go for a job interview in two years and get this: "Wait a minute! Are you that dirty %@#%% that seconded the Stockhausen motion??" :)
          "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
          "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
          "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
            A number of games is not a cause of the problem (should we forbid to play to get CFC=FIDE or smth else? ) The bonus points (performance and participation) were implemented to decrease a deflation, and IMHO without much thoughts what they could do for several strong-players ratings. Is it a problem? Probably not a big deal. It might be an issue for CAN players playing in US (they might be placed in higher sections). Some issues with an Olympic team members selection based on FIDE and CFC ratings.
            I think one of the biggest issues would be if there was a bias towards making the Olympic team because you play in a CFC Open Swiss every weekend.

CFC ratings were also used to invite players to be the "Official" Americas Continental reps. As it turned out only Mark was interested.

For players under 2400 it probably doesn't make too big a difference.

In the "old" days players over 2000 weren't even eligble for bonus points. I always assumed that it just wasn't stated on paper, but was implemented so that players over 2000 weren't getting these points.

Comment

Is that something that would have to be voted on by the governors?
              I think the President would decide if this was a tweak to the rules or a major change.

A tweak would be approved by the Executive.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
                It wasn't my original idea to do a regression. I only interpreted the results.

Today I presented some evidence that would indicate yesterday's results weren't exactly correct, as we were worried about the size of the slope of the line. The slope might be only half the size of what yesterday suggested.
                Typically for a Ontario Open type tournament of 20 people there will be only one or two people who get a results bonus. In a six round tournament you have to get 4 to have a shot at 5 bonus points, 4.5 to have a shot at 10 bonus points and 5.5 points to have a shot at 15 points. On top of that you have to get a performance rating above your best ever rating.

Realistically result bonus points are almost impossible in an open tournament where a 1200 player gets to rub shoulders with and play against a grandmaster.

For players let's say 2400+ (pretty well the group the study was done on)there would seem to be a good liklihood that these guys are picking up performance bonuses at a good clip. The results of the Ontario Open show just that.

The analysis could be completely different if we look at the group of players between 2200 and 2400.
                There would probably be some bonus results points in tournaments where the GMs, IMs and senior masters would be unlikely to compete.

Comment

I think one of the biggest issues would be if there was a bias towards making the Olympic team because you play in a CFC Open Swiss every weekend.
                  I don't mind the bias at all. I would rather cheer for a team made up of the best of Canadian chess players, and not a team of players too elite to play in weekend tournaments or even show up to the closed.

In any case, presumably those top players whose cfc ratings are not in the 2550+ area either a) haven't played enough cfc events to get it there or b) are incapable of getting it there... personally I would not hesitate to exclude them from the team based on either of these counts.

The discussion in this thread seems to imply a problem which rests soley within the cfc system, but I would suggest that those players being used as examples here who play regularly in weekenders are also significantly underrated on the fide side, especially Sambuev.

Comment

Typically for a Ontario Open type tournament of 20 people there will be only one or two people who get a results bonus. In a six round tournament you have to get 4 to have a shot at 5 bonus points, 4.5 to have a shot at 10 bonus points and 5.5 points to have a shot at 15 points. On top of that you have to get a performance rating above your best ever rating.

Realistically result bonus points are almost impossible in an open tournament where a 1200 player gets to rub shoulders with and play against a grandmaster.

There would probably be some bonus results points in tournaments where the GMs, IMs and senior masters would be unlikely to compete.
                    It's my opinion that this rule has unintentionally given an advantage to CFC players competing in Open sections of large swisses in the general Ontario area, but more specifically Toronto.

There are about 4 players who have benefitted from this rule since it has been invoked (in fact they would have over 50% of performance points earned from these Toronto area opens).

In other areas of the country, there wouldn't be enough players rated 2200+ in an event so that players of this level could get these points.

Comment

It was very satisfying to pillage Ontario and redistribute the points to the players in the Calgary International. But you know something might be wrong when I'm losing 16 CFC and gaining 4 fide in the same tournament. Normally this would be considered a relatively good tournament, but then when you consider that they value CFC the same as FIDE when it comes to Olympiad Selection you start to wonder...
                      Last edited by Eric Hansen; Thursday, 26th May, 2011, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Hansen View Post
                        It was very satisfying to pillage Ontario and redistribute the points to the players in the Calgary International....
                        back in the day when I used to go to tournaments with Brian Hartman, his attitude was that proper behaviour was to go farming for points away from home for redistribution back in Hamilton. Of course, we were pillaging Toronto back then.

Refreshing to see the same point of view still carries on :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
                          Oops my bad. Post tournament senility syndrome perhaps.

Comment

Oops my bad. Post tournament senility syndrome perhaps.
                            Local warming ... :-)
                            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

I worked through players results from the end of Nov up to and including this past weekend (as FIDE has the results for both the Ontario Open and the Keres).

I have made a recent recommendation to the rest of the Executive that the performance bonus no longer be applied to players over 2000.
                              Very impressive use of statistics for such a small group of players.

If the Executive is going to vote on rating changes then maybe they should resolve the other rating problem discussed here last December:

http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/show...ighlight=Jason

If you're going to fix the 1% overrated at the top, when is the CFC going to have a transparent, publicly annnounced system of dealing with the !% of underrated coached juniors.

I think part of the problem is that they can get an established rating of 800 and then it takes a while to get up to 1300, wheras in the past (without rated school beginner tournaments) they would get to 1300 after 1 or 2 weekend swisses.

Has there been any progress made? Can any of you stat wizards come up with a solution?

Comment

I think changes to the rating system are the Governors' prerogative.

Comment

Working...
                                X