Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gelfand beats Grischuk in the Candidates

Originally posted by Mavros Whissell View Post
    Gelfand is one of the most unremarkable players of the top players.

I'm curious if anyone thinks he has one quality or another (or even several qualities?) that really should seperate him from the rest of those at the top. Of course the funny people out there will say... he wins.

Kortchnoi was at least remarkable with a certain style and tenacity. I have no issue with the age of the player, its just that Gelfand never struck me as brilliant.

He seems to know all lines incredibly deep however, for example in the Petroff and in the Catalan. A while ago when he played the Najdorf frequently he was not so bullet-proof, but now he seems to be.

Maybe that Gelfand is bullet-proof is remarkable in itself.
    He has remained an elite player for over 20 years. Of the modern-day players who other than Anand and Ivanchuk can say the same? I think Anand is a favourite in their match, but I don't think he's a heavy favourite.
    "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
      The worst possible outcome for FIDE and its World championship, and hopefully a good lesson. You just cannot setup a quick random formula and hope that the best player, or even one of the best will somehow emerge. It seems that Carlsen has been proven right to stay away from those short matches with unpredictable results. No Kramnik, no Topalov, no Aronian... not even a Kamsky. Weep...
      I just wonder, is a match of 20 games between, say Kramnik-Topalov or Aronian-Carlsen any more predictable than any match from the recent Candidates? I also wonder about when after a long(16-20 games) match one player defeats another by a margin of one point, do we really know who is stronger?

Comment

Anyway now, whoever likes predictable matches should be happy since they will get (in their eyes) perfectly predictable match Gelfand-Anand :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Yakov Vaingorten View Post
          I just wonder, is a match of 20 games between, say Kramnik-Topalov or Aronian-Carlsen any more predictable than any match from the recent Candidates?
          Such long matches are unpredictable mainly because the players are quite evenly matched. In the current cycle, results are unpredictable mainly because the matches are short and mostly decided by the first win. This seems to discourage risk taking and thus encourage colourless draws.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
            I think Anand is a favourite in their match, but I don't think he's a heavy favourite.
            As heavy a favorite as you will ever get in a World championship match. Of course Gelfand is a very strong GM who will not disgrace himself. For example he will do better than Short did vs Kasparov in 1993.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
              As heavy a favorite as you will ever get in a World championship match. Of course Gelfand is a very strong GM who will not disgrace himself. For example he will do better than Short did vs Kasparov in 1993.
              What makes you say that he's that much of a favorite. You said it yourself. The players are of similar strength. As far as I'm concerned, this match will be interesting. Gelfand as proved that he's able to play under heavy pressure with these controversial candidate matches. He's got time to prepare. His motivation is extraordinary. Anand may have more experience in these kind of matches but I don't think this will give him that much of an edge.

P.S. I still can't believe that the evil dollar kept us from having a world championship match between Kasparov and Shirov in 1998. That would have been some awesome "balls to the walls" fighting kind of chess.

Comment

It is worth noting that Short beat Gelfand (as well as Karpov) on his way to play Kasparov. On his recent visit to Ottawa, Nigel gave a highly entertaining lecture on thse two matches.

Comment

Originally posted by jean-michel rivest View Post
                  What makes you say that he's that much of a favorite. You said it yourself. The players are of similar strength. As far as I'm concerned, this match will be interesting.
                  If anyone knowledgeable had been asked a few weeks ago to name 5 players against whom Anand could lose a serious match (12 games or more), no one would have put Gelfand in that group. Carlsen, Kramnik, Topalov, Aronian, maybe Nakamura, but Gelfand ? No way.
                  It means that Gelfand is a heavy underdog, not necessarily to lose by four points (Anand is not Kasparov, he will be satisfied just to win), but to lose for sure. Can that match be interesting to some people ? Sure but for a larger public it will be pretty meaningless.

Comment

As I said in another thread, Gelfand will be 43, and is only # 16 on the May 1 FIDE rating list. I don't think next year's world championship match will get much coverage in the mainstream press.

Bob

Comment

I think that they should go back to the old format circa 1972 or some similar setup. Otherwise if we want excitement we can just spin a roulette wheel right at the beginning of the process to see who is the champion. It doesn't seem to me that such a process would be any more absurd than the present one.

Congratulations to Gelfand for emerging from the pack under this present FIDE process. He has shown more in these matches than many had supposed was available to him previously. Maybe he can come up with some surprises in the match against Anand.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                        As I said in another thread, Gelfand will be 43, and is only # 16 on the May 1 FIDE rating list. I don't think next year's world championship match will get much coverage in the mainstream press.

Bob
                        I don't think it would have got much coverage in any case. The mainstream press doesn't much care about chess unless they can show pictures of cute kids, pretty women or some kind of lunatic playing.

Comment

Topalov would not be a favourite to defeat Anand, in my opinion. In fact he has already lost to Anand and Kramnik.

I think Gelfand can win this. He is motivated and shows the desire to win. Unless something happens to change this before the start of the match, I think Gelfand will win.

Bob, a championship match will get plenty of mainstream press coverage in Europe and other continents. Us older guys love it! Age and guile over youth and exhuberance at the top echelons of chess. The youngsters fell by the wayside in the qualification matches.
                          Gary Ruben
                          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                            I think Gelfand can win this.
                            At least he has a lot of chances.
                            Ironically, Gelfand lost a single game during the WC'2007 tournament to Grischuk, no Grischuk lost to Gelfand :D

I hope these two guys -and will be not very greedy and the match will take place.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post

Bob
                              I think ratings are overrated. A stronger player can have a slightly lower rating because effort is a major factor. That Gelfand is only #16 doesn't mean he can't raise his game when sufficiently motivated. And he has the match-play experience.

Comment

Re : Re: Gelfand beats Grischuk in the Candidates

Originally posted by Mavros Whissell View Post
                                Gelfand is one of the most unremarkable players of the top players. I'm curious if anyone thinks he has one quality or another (or even several qualities?) that really should seperate him from the rest of those at the top.
                                It is true that most people don't seem to have anything good to say about the new challenger. But I like this dissenting opinion found on Kevin Spraggett's blog:

"Deep down I am pleased that Gelfand has won the right to play for the World Title! Chess is not about age. Boris has done it fairly and squarely. He has beaten players much younger than himself. I think that we must respect that. Sportsmanship applies to the fans as well....the fans should try to get over themselves!"

Comment

Working...
                                X