CFC Presidential Election (from Fees thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CFC Presidential Election (from Fees thread)

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    As a potential program item of the future prez.
    I sure hope not. :(

Prize distribution should be left to the organizers. The CFC has no business in the bedrooms, hmm...... I mean wallets of the organizers! :)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
      I sure hope not. :(

Prize distribution should be left to the organizers. The CFC has no business in the bedrooms, hmm...... I mean wallets of the organizers! :)
      I think the CFC recommended that the prize fund should be at least ~70% of collected EFs for CFC rated events. Thus the CFC is near a keyhole :D

Anyway, as the Outgoing President, and you have been a ED and a Treasurer:
      Do you think that the CFC is an efficient organization?

Comment

Define "efficient".

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
          Do you think that the CFC is an efficient organization?
          Do you? Of course not. :D
          The very nature and structure of the CFC works against it being efficient. I have argued many times that the CFC is a most difficult organization to govern. If you disagree, I invite you to run for an executive position next month, and become educated.

Nevertheless, efficiency, accountability, transparency, etc etc should remain our goals, and we do the best we can. :)

Those who served with me on the executive this year have my respect and appreciation for their service, warts and all. :D

Comment

The very nature and structure of the CFC works against it being efficient."
            Yes and no.
            (the further comment went to your Private inbox)

Comment

The very nature and structure of the CFC works against it being efficient. I have argued many times that the CFC is a most difficult organization to govern. If you disagree, I invite you to run for an executive position next month, and become educated.
              The president isn't, or maybe I should write should not be, governing the organization.

By the time the annual meeting ends, the course for the year should have been agreed to by the governors. Then those with the tasks, including the president, should work to implement the programs. New resolution passed by the governors during the term should be implemented at the start of the next presidents term.

If you're trying to listen to all the governors during the term it must sound like stero. Your ears would have to multi task.

Will the new web site be finished before the end of your term?
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                Will the new web site be finished before the end of your term?
                Gary: I sure hope so. We're putting in a lot of time getting all of the little bugs out of it. I think people will enjoy it, when it's done....well it'll never be completely done because we will now have the ability to add all sorts of things (and not be afraid of breakage).

Comment

KS has just posted on his blog that Serge Archambaut will be seeking the presidency.

Comment

Kevin is mistaken when he writes the Serge "could become the first non-anglophone to occupy that position".

A quick search of my archives shows that Ephrem Brisebois was CFC president in 1935 and Charles Robillard in 1945. There could be other Francophones (how about Yves Farges?)

I'm sure there were other CFC presidents with neither English nor French as their mother tongues ("allophones").

Comment

Hi Hugh:

You and Richard Keep are the current 2 Quebec CFC Governors.

Has Serge been in contact with either of you about whether he wants to run for one of the Quebec CFC Governorships for 2011-2 at the Toronto AGM?

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                        Hi Hugh:

You and Richard Keep are the current 2 Quebec CFC Governors.

Has Serge been in contact with either of you about whether he wants to run for one of the Quebec CFC Governorships for 2011-2 at the Toronto AGM?

Bob
                        Kevin has supported most of those who became CFC Presidents over the last couple of decades...only to change his mind after the fact.

Serge was asked to leave as the CFC Executive Director about a decade ago...the problem in Canada is that we have short memories...as I have always said...the CFC is its own worse enemy...HELLO!

There are good people at the CFC (regardless of what you may read elsewhere).

Bob Gillanders has been great...David Lavin did what had to be done to save the ship from sinking...

This is not easy...especially for volunteers...chess in this country has had many awesome folks step forward...it is easy to criticize...but at the end of the day...I think we are back on the right track...let's not screw things up!

Larry
                        Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                          There are good people at the CFC (regardless of what you may read elsewhere).
                          Thanks Larry. You are absolutely correct.
                          Good people at the CMA too! :D

Comment

Hi Larry:

As one of the elephants in the zoo ( long memory ), was Serge ever a governor?

Thanks.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                              Hi Larry:

As one of the elephants in the zoo ( long memory ), was Serge ever a governor?

Thanks.

Bob
                              Hi Bob,

Serge was a CFC employee (when we share a beer...that is a good story)...he also worked for the CMA and the FQE...he was Gerry Lichfield's boss...ask him for details :)

Larry

Comment

Three-way race between Serge, Pierre and Neil?
                                Christopher Mallon
                                FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Working...
                                X