Classical Match or 6-Person Double Round Robin...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classical Match or 6-Person Double Round Robin...

If you could make it happen, which two Canadian players/residents would you most like to see play a 12 game classical match?

How about the 6 people you would most like to see contest a double round robin tournament?

I would opt for Bluvshtein-Spraggett in the former and the same two plus Hansen, Hébert, Sambuev and Roussel-Roozmon in the tournament.

Noritsyn could be a pinch-hitter and Charbonneau is most likely out of practice.

No snubs intended, but, these would be the people I would enjoy watching play the most.

Re: Classical Match or 6-Person Double Round Robin...

For anyone who ever reads Kevin's blog it would be the Spraggett-Sambuev to settle the question of who is Canada's "true" top CFC rated (ever) player. Kevin would be giving 20 year odds from his peak performance level, but that would be countered by his 50+ point FIDE advantage. I'd pay good money to see that.

Everything else pales in comparison...........

Having said that, I do consider Mark to be our #1 player until proven otherwise.

Comment

Fred McKim wrote: I'd pay good money to see that.

Ken wonders if fred could define "good money". Has he just offered to be a match patron?

Comment

Kind of tells us who the "smart money" thinks are the best two players.
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

How about several matches:

Definitely, Spraggett - Sambuev
          also ........Bluvshtein - Kovalyov
          and:)......Hebert - Bindi Cheng

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
            Fred McKim wrote: I'd pay good money to see that.

Ken wonders if fred could define "good money". Has he just offered to be a match patron?
            Well, I just bought tickets to watch Meatloaf on July 2 here in Charlottetown, for about $50. So, I'd say $100 for a week's pass to Spraggett - Sambuev.

Comment

Originally posted by J. Ken MacDonald View Post
              If you could make it happen, which two Canadian players/residents would you most like to see play a 12 game classical match?

How about the 6 people you would most like to see contest a double round robin tournament?

I would opt for Bluvshtein-Spraggett in the former and the same two plus Hansen, Hébert, Sambuev and Roussel-Roozmon in the tournament.

Noritsyn could be a pinch-hitter and Charbonneau is most likely out of practice.

No snubs intended, but, these would be the people I would enjoy watching play the most.
              I would prefer 8 persons double round robin because several IMs are really deserving to make classical chess more of a fischer-random like style unlike the World Championship Match where the games are being played more on a because of massive home preparations based upon single opening repertoire. World Chess Championship match is very boring when same opening is played game after game (Slav again)?!.
              I want the Champion to beat the Best of the Best with varying styles and chess openings. Beat the BEST 7 not just one challenger. This is more challenging because in the information age, truth be told, a lower rated grandmaster can beat an (elite) GM. Grandmasters were born chess prodigies and age doesn't matter as proven time and again by The Great Viktor Korchnoi! Chess is not a physical sport than boxing that you can not fight the next day (round robin format) because of a swollen face. You are still the same person in the next round. There seems to be a conspiracy among the elite players that they do not participate in lower rated grandmaster participated by several super GM rated 2600 and above with the fear of losing rating points. Well, if I am an elite player , why should I participate in other tournament if i am putting my rating in jeopardy when I am guaranteed prestigious tournament invitation with appearance fees and free accommodations. Smart and wise decision but something is not right when FIDE slams the door that you do not belong here but I pity the lower rated GM but deserving! I don not believe in ratings because performance varies any single day!

Comment

Jack Yoos vs. Sylvain Barbeau, for instance.

Some decades ago, the BCCF proposed a match-elimination style Canadian Championship and Zonal, and also proposed to run it, in Vancouver. The CFC President (who was not a lawyer) declared the proposal out of order because it did not address the existing regulations (for example, "replace section 803 with" yadda). The BCCF President (who was a lawyer) was so annoyed with what he saw as obstructionism, that he withdrew the bid and put all the money that the BCCF had carefully collected over the years into a chess festival which included a Western Canadian Open, a RR Women's tournament, and a strong International.

The World Cup (the only non-correspondence FIDE elite event that Canadians as individuals regardless of age or gender can qualify for) is still a short-match-knockout. Yet we have scant experience of that method in Canada. Even a player as assured and savvy as Kevin Spraggett did not look confident in that format, for example when he played Yermo. This time we have two players, Bluvshtein via the Continental and Sambuev for winning the Canadian Closed Playoff (or will it be Hansen because of eligibility?). A secret match between the two standard-bearers, with games published after this year's World Cup ...?

Ken's 2 or 6 players is do-able with a low 5-figure budget. If one wants to make it more inclusive (say 8 players each from Ontario and Quebec, 4 each from BC and Alberta ...--or even an open event--) one might consider the initial matches to take place locally, the intermediate matches with strict supervision and broadcast delay via an internet server (e.g. ICC), and only the finals face-to-face again. Not saying that's the ideal format, just that it might be affordable.

Comment

How much would you pay to see me play against Fritz 12?

[Event "partie lente d'entrainement"]
                  [Site "?"]
                  [Date "2011.06.05"]
                  [Round "?"]
                  [White "Rivest, Jean-Michel"]
                  [Black "Fritz 12"]
                  [Result "1-0"]
                  [ECO "C68"]
                  [BlackElo "3115"]
                  [PlyCount "85"]

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5 a6 4. Bxc6 dxc6 5. O-O Qd6 6. Na3 Be6 7. Qe2 f6 8.Rd1 O-O-O 9. d4 Bg4 10. Be3 exd4 11. Rxd4 Qe7 12. Rxd8+ Qxd8 13. Rd1 Bd6 14.Nc4 Nh6 15. Bxh6 gxh6 16. Nxd6+ cxd6 17. h3 Bh5 18. Qd3 Re8 19. Qxd6 Qxd6 20.Rxd6 Rxe4 21. Rxf6 Bg6 22. Rd6 Re2 23. Rd2 Rxd2 24. Nxd2 Bxc2 25. g4 Kd7 26. f4 h5 27. Kf2 hxg4 28. hxg4 Ke7 29. Ke3 Bd1 30. Nf3 Kd6 31. f5 h6 32. Kf4 c5 33.Nd2 Bc2 34. Ne4+ Bxe4 35. Kxe4 b6 36. b3 b5 37. a3 b4 38. a4 a5 39. Kd3 Kd5 40.Ke3 Kc6 41. Ke2 Kd6 42. Kd2 Ke5 43. Ke3 1-0

Comment

Re : Classical Match or 6-Person Double Round Robin...

How many time did the engine have? My Fritz 12 could refute some of his moves in less than a second....

Comment

Re: Re : Classical Match or 6-Person Double Round Robin...

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
                      How many time did the engine have? My Fritz 12 could refute some of his moves in less than a second....
                      What are you talking about? Give me one mistake made in that game.

Comment

lucas vs noam
                        everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Working...
                        X