Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Canadian Open July 8-17 questions

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
    The Canadian Open should keep its traditional one-section format. The yo-yo effect can be resolved by using accelerated (or more exotic) pairing systems. Leave the multi-section tournaments for weekends when it's hard to get a single winner in a one-section (4-6 rounds) event. 9 (or 10) rounds is enough to eliminate multiple perfect scores at the end.
    Hugh Brodie has played in more Canadian Open tournaments than anyone in Canada.

He has decided not to play this year...food for thought...

Larry

Comment

32 Opens for me - Phil Haley might have more (does someone have a count?).

I balk at multi-section Opens, and what I feel are high entry fees. To future Open organizers - keep the entry fees "low" (i.e. $100 max - Quebec Open is $90 for the top "Open" section - FIDE rated), and use sponsor money for GM expenses and give priority to Canadian titled players (don't use player entry fees to subsidize the GM's). If the sponsor money is low - invite fewer GM's.

Some of us don't care about prize money, and want to play chess for the enjoyment of it - without paying an arm and a leg to do so.

Comment

The Canadian Open should keep its traditional one-section format. The yo-yo effect can be resolved by using accelerated (or more exotic) pairing systems. Leave the multi-section tournaments for weekends when it's hard to get a single winner in a one-section (4-6 rounds) event. 9 (or 10) rounds is enough to eliminate multiple perfect scores at the end.
        Hugh,

This year's tournament seems to me to be an excellent hybrid. Anyone can play in the Open section. Players U2000 and U1600 have their own sections if they wish. I think it provides the best of all worlds. I note also that most players who are U2000 are electing to go in their class sections.

I can't see why everyone wouldn't find this arrangement to be quite excellent. Complete freedom of choice. Open for those who feel so inclined. Classes for those others.

From my own perspective as a relatively weak player, I can't quite see the attraction of getting the snot kicked out of me in the open section. I really appreciate the opportunity to play in my own class (where I'm also likely to take some serious beatings but it will hopefully be more competitive).

Steve Karpik

Comment

32 Opens for me - Phil Haley might have more (does someone have a count?).

I balk at multi-section Opens, and what I feel are high entry fees. To future Open organizers - keep the entry fees "low" (i.e. $100 max - Quebec Open is $90 for the top "Open" section - FIDE rated), and use sponsor money for GM expenses and give priority to Canadian titled players (don't use player entry fees to subsidize the GM's). If the sponsor money is low - invite fewer GM's.

Some of us don't care about prize money, and want to play chess for the enjoyment of it - without paying an arm and a leg to do so.
          The entry fee is only a small component of the overall cost of the Canadian Open. An entry fee of $100 or $175 is not going to be the deal breaker when you have to deal with nine or ten days of hotel costs, gas costs and a pricey food tab in comparison to staying at home, not to mention the chess book cost.

I would be more likely to balk at a single section Open. I tend to prefer and support sectioned tournaments.

Comment

I have 2 questions for the organizers.
            1. It was my understanding that players may play up 1 section in the C.O. However, I notice that there are currently 3 players rated under 1600 that are playing in the Open section. Did I misunderstand the rules?

2. One of these players with a rating of 15(something) is listed as an FM yet has no FIDE rating listed. How is this possible?

Thanks
            Larry Castle

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Castle View Post
              2. One of these players with a rating of 15(something) is listed as an FM yet has no FIDE rating listed. How is this possible?
              It seems the FM title can be awarded, so I guess it is possible to get an FM title without even having much of a rating... (see FIDE handbook)

for a start: http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.ht...8&view=article
              Last edited by Kerry Liles; Wednesday, 22nd June, 2011, 03:49 PM. Reason: added a link
              ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by larry castle View Post
                2. One of these players with a rating of 15(something) is listed as an fm yet has no fide rating listed. How is this possible
                the person is the world champion. (u10)

Comment

I have 2 questions for the organizers.
                  1. It was my understanding that players may play up 1 section in the C.O. However, I notice that there are currently 3 players rated under 1600 that are playing in the Open section. Did I misunderstand the rules?

Thanks
                  Larry Castle
                  The Canadian Open website does not show current ratings. That FM with a rating of 1500 or so is actually CFC rated 1900+ (and let's not go into how he got so high so fast).

Comment

To be a World Champion of Chess (or anything for that matter) is an outstanding achievment. I did not wish to imply that this person did not "deserve" to play in the open section. I am only 1700+ and I don't really "deserve" to play in the open section. I was only seeking clarification of the rules. I was also curious as to how someone can have an FM title without a FIDE rating or even a master rating (2200+).
                    Regards
                    Larry Castle

Comment

To be a World Champion of Chess (or anything for that matter) is an outstanding achievment. I did not wish to imply that this person did not "deserve" to play in the open section. I am only 1700+ and I don't really "deserve" to play in the open section. I was only seeking clarification of the rules. I was also curious as to how someone can have an FM title without a FIDE rating or even a master rating (2200+).
                      Regards
                      Larry Castle
                      he did not mean to rebuke you - he was giving the reason why the person has a FM title (automatically awarded to the winner of the U10 world championship) but perhaps that was not clear.

as to rating, the rating listed is out of date (presumably dating from when he entered). I guess you missed the thread that discussed the CFC decision to adjust his CFC rating to equal his FIDE rating (1915 provisional). He also now has a USCF rating of 2036 (also provisional) although there are people who feel his 1500 CFC rating should not have been adjusted.
                      Last edited by Roger Patterson; Wednesday, 22nd June, 2011, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Larry C.,

A player rated under 1600 or an unrated player can play in any section, not just 1 section up.

David

Comment

Thanks David, I quess I misunderstood the rule. Looking foward to a great Canadian Open.
                          Regards,
                          Larry Castle

Comment

To the Organizers: Since the closing for registration is the 30th and the first round is the ninth, is there any idea on what day the first round pairings will be posted? My apologies if this has already been stated elsewhere.
                            Regards
                            Larry Castle

Comment

To the Organizers: Since the closing for registration is the 30th and the first round is the ninth, is there any idea on what day the first round pairings will be posted? My apologies if this has already been stated elsewhere.
                              Regards
                              Larry Castle
                              I'm not an organizer but I'll point out that there are problems with advance pairings when people don't show up and there are many empty table forfeits. With computers it's fast to do the pairings after people have registered in person.

I made up fantasy dummy parings just to see how it divides. Note that I used FIDE ratings and unrateds, as FIDE does not recognize CFC ratings. There will also be first round byes and late entries from the World Open. Without acceleration the rating differences are lopsided but it's interesting that many of the rising juniors (A-class) get to play the top IMs. The 2000 to 2100 players get stuck with the unrateds which limits their ability to get IM norms (Playing one unrated counts as 2050, the second counts as 1200).

Mark's recent success has risen him to being the top FIDE-rated!

1 GM Bluvshtein, Mark 2611 - Aird, Ian 2020
                              2 GM Golod, Vitali 2582 - Willis, Bradley 2019
                              3 GM Kacheishvili, Giorgi 2582 - Lacau-Rodean, Iulia 2018
                              4 GM Shabalov, Alexander 2577 - Rachar, Sean 2012
                              5 GM Rozentalis, Eduardas 2571 - Wang, Jesse B. 2007
                              6 GM Mikhalevski, Victor 2569 - Peev, Pavel 2006
                              7 GM Benjamin, Joel 2553 - Chernik, Dmitry 2004
                              8 GM Bojkov, Dejan 2544 - Abrahams, Daniel 2002
                              9 GM Perelshteyn, Eugene 2534 - Drkulec, Vladimir 2002
                              10 GM Sambuev, Bator 2528 - Cohen, Lawrence 2001
                              11 IM Krush, Irina 2487 - Chan, James 1988
                              12 IM Gerzhoy, Leonid 2483 - Pedersen, Rick 1988
                              13 GM Arencibia, Walter 2476 - Pitre, Hanniegn 1974
                              14 GM Fedorowicz, John 2454 - Preotu, Razvan 1974
                              15 IM Noritsyn, Nikolay 2425 - Inigo, Aquino 1962
                              16 IM Meszaros, Michal 2418 - Knox, Christopher 1951
                              17 IM Hébert, Jean 2414 - Botez, Alexandra 1950
                              18 IM Mulyar, Michael 2410 - Roy, Myriam 1935
                              19 IM Macak, Stefan 2391 - Ivanov, Mike 1934
                              20 IM Krnan, Tomas 2390 - Orlova, Yelizaveta 1934
                              21 Cheng, Bindi 2385 - Gladstone, Simon 1933
                              22 IM Samsonkin, Artiom 2378 - Nicholson, Matthew 1933
                              23 Yoos, Jack 2373 - Florea, Alexandru 1930
                              24 IM Cummings, David 2350 - Cao, Jason 1925
                              25 Thavandiran, Shiyam 2320 - Razzaq, Ali 1920
                              26 Pechenkin, Vladimir 2297 - Grecu, Veaceslav 1900
                              27 Sapozhnikov, Roman 2295 - Bzikot, Robert 1882
                              28 IM Kaufman, Raymond 2293 - Wiebe, Daniel 1877
                              29 Milicevic, Goran 2288 - Xu, Haizhou 1875
                              30 Melekhina, Alisa 2263 - Deline, Ralph 1865
                              31 IM Day, Lawrence 2251 - Baumgartner, Christopher 1864
                              32 Calugar, Arthur 2247 - Kagramanov, Dalia 1862
                              33 Birarov, Vladimir 2246 - Peng, Jackie 1853
                              34 Plotkin, Victor 2243 - Posaratnanathan, Juliaan 1838
                              35 Wang, Richard 2240 - Bellissimo, Joseph 1831
                              36 Castaneda, Nelson 2229 - Serbanescu, Natasa 1829
                              37 Zenyuk, Iryna 2222 - Plotkin, Mark 1788
                              38 Kleinman, Michael 2221 - Pieri, Enzo 1734
                              39 Dougherty, Michael 2217 - Zhang, Yuanchen 1725
                              40 Yee, Lorne 2210 - Agbabishvili, Lali unrated
                              41 Hambleton, Aman 2206 - Ang, Alan
                              42 Barron, Michael 2171 - Assenov, Alexandre
                              43 Campbell, Brett 2166 - Back, Jeff
                              44 Renteria, Rolando 2165 - Castle, Larry
                              45 Caire, François 2150 - Chidley-Hill, John
                              46 Henry, Liam 2150 - Chiku-Ratté, Olivier Kenta
                              47 Reshef, Omer 2145 - Derraugh, Geordie
                              48 Patterson, Roger 2141 - Fan, Brendan
                              49 Ibrahim, Ismail 2136 - Finlay, Ian
                              50 Guo, Josh 2129 - Gulati, Ashish (Justin)
                              51 Humphreys, Michael 2111 - Karmalkar, Vilas
                              52 Kagramanov, Dina 2100 - Le, Ken
                              53 Demmery, Steve 2092 - Lin, Tony (JunTao)
                              54 Southam, David 2090 - Loadman, Ian
                              55 Fiedler, Brian 2086 - Longo, Tyler
                              56 Larochelle, Martial 2086 - Manalo, Pepin
                              57 Gusev, Nikita 2071 - McTavish, Dale
                              58 Kong, Dezheng 2069 - Miller, David
                              59 Song, Michael2065 - Morabito, Matthew
                              60 Acosta, Mariano 2059 - Nasir, Pi
                              61 Frilles, Ruperto 2057 - Olden-Cooligan, Ben
                              62 Purewal, Sardul 2056 - Picana, Andrew
                              63 Fairbairn, Stephen 2053 - Sharpe, Michael
                              64 Fu, James 2051 - Ugodnikov, Arkadiy
                              65 Tot, Nandor 2047 - Ye, Stephen
                              66 Shebetah, Wajdy 2046 - Yun, Chang
                              67 Sohal, Tanraj 2032 - Zhao, Yue Tong (Davy)
                              68 Itkin, David 2025 - Zotkin, Daniel

Comment

29 fide-class players went to the top section. They choose getting chess lessons from masters over going for the $1,000 U-2000 prize. Only 7 fide-class players entered the under 2000 section so it's unlikely for any unrated player in that section to start getting a FIDE rating. For one's first tournament, they have to get a score of 1 out of 3 games.

If one already has some fide-ratable games, and need more to get to 9 games, the number needed to get a FIDE-rating, they should be playing in the top section. Maybe snipe a point away from those fide-class players, although that's not needed as even all loses will still count if they already have that 1 out of 3 (and a performance rating above 1200).

Comment

Working...
                                X