Team Championship of Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Team Championship of Canada

Of course, you would have the usual time zone problems - a Maritimes vs BC match would be a four-hour difference (add 30 mins. for Nfld.). That would probably limit such matches to weekends - but two five-hour sessions (and a one-hour break) on one day would mean an early start (e.g. 9 am) for one side and a late finish (e.g. midnight) for the other.

"Active" time controls would be another option - but still almost eliminates weeknights for teams far apart from each other.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Rekhson View Post
      How about 2200 maximum rating with players over 2400 counting as 2400 to allow for teams to use the highest rated players (in US Chess League players over 2590 count as 2590 for the same reason).
      I'm confused.

Do you mean 2200 MINIMUM rating? If 2200 is the maximum rating, how do the 2400+ players come into it?

Comment

Team Championship of Canada

Just to be clear, I would like to help a Team Championship of Canada take place, but, I am not interested in running it, setting any rules or stuff like that. Also, (sorry, Larry!) I am not interested in helping get a junior event going. I would like to be able to watch an adult event.

Fred, I did read most of the rules from the US and I am astounded at the complexity of something I assumed was simple. Not that I think we have to follow all those complex rules, but some things that struck me from the rules and posts here on CT are as follows:

1) There has to be a rating limit of some sort, e.g., a minimum rating or minimum average rating and minimum rating per individual. I doubt Yoos from the West Coast would want to play against a team put together with 1200 rated players who joined on a lark!
        2) Clock time rules, probably the ICC/FICS time has to be the master clock, else bad info goes to the opponent who can’t see a clock at the other end.
        3) Play can be on a physical board, but moves are made on the server.
        4) Would it be match points or game points that determine the winner at the end of the “season?”
        5) Board order would require some rules so that an 1800 player can’t be sacrificed on board 1 and everyone else play down (again, no fun for a player like Barbeau!)
        6) What ratings would be used? CFC, but at some point in time or absolutely current if someone had just finished and had reported a tournament?
        7) When should line-ups be publicized?
        8) What to do regarding an obvious mouse slip?
        9) TDs/Referees will be required at each site.
        10) There will have to be someone running the overall event and he/she will have the last say on everything not covered in whatever rules are determined.
        These are some of the things that quickly come to mind from the posts here and reading the US rules.
        I look forward to more comments.

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
          I'm confused.

Do you mean 2200 MINIMUM rating? If 2200 is the maximum rating, how do the 2400+ players come into it?
          The 2200 maximum would be the average of a team, assuming that 4 board teams would be used. For rating average purpose I suggested that players over 2400 would count as 2400. This follows the US Chess League format but instead of making the average rating limit 2400 I am suggesting making it 2200.

Comment

I think this is a wonderful initiative, Ken. Thank you for making it.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Rekhson View Post
              The 2200 maximum would be the average of a team, assuming that 4 board teams would be used. For rating average purpose I suggested that players over 2400 would count as 2400. This follows the US Chess League format but instead of making the average rating limit 2400 I am suggesting making it 2200.
              Yes, I think in general that would be a good equivalent to the USCF model. You could have 4 or 5 2400+ players registered as players for the team (if registration was even required), but for a single match you could use 3 players over 2400 and you would have to have a 1600 player or below on board 4.

A team registration limit of 8 or 10 like the USCF model would be good as it provides a bit of an equalizer for the smaller cities so Toronto (for example) would have to carefully select the 10 players they might want to employ over the season.

Probably a good idea to stick with 6 teams the first time around. Simply the 6 highest rated (Top 4/5 average 'legitimate - -ie active and resident in the city' 'legitimate - players) teams that register. For picking the qualifying teams deduct 25 points from a second team from the same province, 50 from the 3rd etc. to try and give a bit of a National flavour.

In a second year it could be expanded to two divisions, etc. I know in just the Maritimes if there was interest, each of Saint John, Fredericton, Halifax and Charlottetown could put together teams with average ratings of 2000-2100, but would have "short benches" if top guns were missing.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Ficzere View Post
                Grande Prairie used their public library for the match with Calgary when they clobbered us. Worked better at their end then it did at ours. We also used FICS.

The biggest problem with such a tournament will be how to control possible cheating. The only way I can see is to have a TD for each team onsite during the rounds. When money is involved, people will do silly things. Hey, they don't even need money to cheat on game servers, just an internet connection.
                Correct me if I'm wrong but I tried one public library here in Mississauga to play chess at chess.com but didn't allow me from my personal laptop. The advantage of playing in public libraries using their own system is that they set limitations as to the type of application you can run and information you can access. Some libraries have some system secluded as quite rooms which are ideal for this competition. We can request the library administrator to allow special access to FICS/ICC through our library cards just for this purpose, at least, we have eliminated a possible chess program playing in the background but the major issue must be that offline chess programs installed on portable devices (such as ipod touch/phone etc) as external resources/assistance can still be easily accessible (usually used in toilets as frequently published cheating scandal). Total control of not allowing portable devices that can run chess programs must and never be allowed in playing sites accompanied with harsh penalty such as lifetime ban. We should be ourselves when playing online chess tournaments. That's the reason why most internet chess games are played from 1 to 3 minutes TC to prevent chess program assistance nowadays.

Comment

I have already started the planning!

I have already started to plan a championship like this. Actually, I started over a year ago, but I got sidetracked. I will have rules and sign up info in 2 weeks time for everyone to look at here. We can start play in September. I have a number of rules planned for things like people have mentioned - mouse slips and the like. As for a minimum rating, I propose that we let anyone enter a team that wants to. The top 8 teams, regardless of location, will play a round robin for the Div 1 championship, the next 8 for the Div 2 and so on. In this way we promote chess and let anyone play who wants to.

If you have any other ideas or suggestions, just let me know here.

Brian Profit

Comment

Re: I have already started the planning!

Originally posted by Brian Profit View Post
                    I have already started to plan a championship like this. Actually, I started over a year ago, but I got sidetracked. I will have rules and sign up info in 2 weeks time for everyone to look at here. We can start play in September. I have a number of rules planned for things like people have mentioned - mouse slips and the like. As for a minimum rating, I propose that we let anyone enter a team that wants to. The top 8 teams, regardless of location, will play a round robin for the Div 1 championship, the next 8 for the Div 2 and so on. In this way we promote chess and let anyone play who wants to.

Brian Profit
                    How many members per team and how many reserves?

Comment

4 people play in a match. I think I had up to 7 on a team, but to play in the playoffs, you must play in a minimum number of matches. Sorry, I looked at my rules a long time ago, but that is what I think I remember.

Comment

4 people play in a match. I think I had up to 7 on a team, but to play in the playoffs, you must play in a minimum number of matches. Sorry, I looked at my rules a long time ago, but that is what I think I remember.
                        Great initiative, Brian. Looks like you've done most of the groundwork.

I would think that the number of players on a team would depend on the number of rounds and the duration of the event. I think they allow 10 in the US League.

If you were allowing multiple divisions then a minimum rating might not be required, but players in general still want to play people within that 200 point band.

Unfortunately in Canada winter season tends to be bad for weather (as opposed to many parts of the US) and this could be a bit of a problem, but nothing ventured nothing gained.

Comment

It's nice to see the brainstorming in here. I've been bugging the USCL to include Toronto for a couple years as they could easily field a strong enough team. But it would be even better if Canada was able to produce some sort of national league that is competitive.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
                            but players in general still want to play people within that 200 point band.
                            As they would be team matches, all (8-10) players would like to play at least some games. Thus, a captain may sign only those who would still win but not too strong to bore players. If the team's main goal is to win 100% then they should not complain about weak players :D

A mouse-slip - treat as touch-move - a player's problem. The percentage of touch-move at a higher level is very very low, as mouse slips for internet gamers.

use KISS

Comment

I have already started the planning!

Brian Profit
                              Great news! I will step aside while you bring your plans to fruition. I look forward to watching some games in September or whenever it gets going!

Best of luck,

Ken

Comment

Thanks, Ken!

Comment

Working...
                                X