Team Championship of Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Team Championship of Canada

FIDE grant us the right to achieve norms without having any foreign players in a national team Championship. It should be played over the board to take advantage of this rule. There would be no automatic IM and FM title for 2/3 and 50% result because it is not a zonal, but norms could be realised by playing the required mix of opponent regardless of the fact that they are all from one Federation which is a huge advantage.

I know the rules for the France teams championship and I could help in writing the rules.

The number of players per team should be even in order to insure that every team gets an equal number of Whites and Blacks.

Comment

What a terrific idea! The Kitchener-Waterloo chess club would be interested in having a team in the Team Championship of Canada. We attempted to have a match with Calgary during the winter but securing a location proved to be difficult. i.e., the main library would allow us to use 4 of their computers but for only a 2-hour time limit. However, since then, I'm assured that we can play at William's coffee shop if we pay them a fee for use of their premises. So, yes, if teams are being organized, we would definitely be interested. In fact, both the executive and members of the club are eager to participate.
      Ralph Deline
      KW Chess Club Director

Comment

A flurry of posts saying "Hey, great idea".... and then silence.

This isn't the first time someone has suggested team matches, not even the second, and every time the same thing happens. We even have a generous benefactor this time who would step up with his own cash to finance this, but once again..... crickets chirping.

It's frustrating, because I know that my club in Kanata would love to be in something like this. The biggest problem seems to be getting local people on the ground in each club to step up and talk to each other--actually follow through and Just Do It.

Just in this thread, there is something that *sounds* like a commitment from Vancouver, Toronto, Kitchener, the Maritimes. Calgary has had a standing offer for ages now. I'll throw our hat in the ring too, although we're all club patzers. Now, will anyone follow through..???

I feel like a fit of craziness is coming over me, but I want to see this happen. If you are serious and can put up a team, DM me and I will be a central clearing house for city reps. I will keep you in touch with each other and will try to egg you on. At work I do something similar with utility companies who all have to show up together to service new housing developments. Total herding-cats-o-rama!

Er... ahem.. Sorry if that comes across as foaming at the mouth! But I just think it's a damned good idea, and a shame that it never actually comes to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Myron Samsin View Post

This isn't the first time someone has suggested team matches, not even the second, and every time the same thing happens. We even have a generous benefactor this time who would step up with his own cash to finance this, but once again..... crickets chirping.
          A different person stepped up and said he already had the idea and concept covered.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
            A different person stepped up and said he already had the idea and concept covered.
            Yeah, maybe I got a little carried away there. We'll see what Brian comes up with. But the offer to help co-ordinate still stands if he wants it.

Comment

Re: I have already started the planning!

Originally posted by Brian Profit View Post
              Thanks, Ken!
              Brian:

I see where Neil Frarey is supposed to announce a Canadian Chess League (no details yet, except for a T-shirt logo). Is this in co-operation with you or competition with you ?

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
                Brian:

I see where Neil Frarey is supposed to announce a Canadian Chess League (no details yet, except for a T-shirt logo). Is this in co-operation with you or competition with you ?
                Brian is expected to announce at the Canadian Open tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                  Brian is expected to announce at the Canadian Open tonight.
                  So I guess that means in co-operation. However, Neil's stated plan seems (?) to be exclusive of CFC involvement, which wasn't necessarily the case when we were originally discussing this.

In any event, sounds exciting.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
                    So I guess that means in co-operation. However, Neil's stated plan seems (?) to be exclusive of CFC involvement, which wasn't necessarily the case when we were originally discussing this.

In any event, sounds exciting.
                    Any news about that issue yet!??

Comment

There were flyers with a link: www.canadianchessleague.ca
                      The website is not yet setup.

The flyer gives these details: 120$ EF, 4 players, ICC league accounts, league division by rating; 7 rounds + playoffs, one round per month, starts in September.

Comment

We had a number of problems with the website but it should be corrected in the next 2 days. I am going to post the info in a new post now.

Comment

Working...
                        X