Canadian Chess News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Chess News

I wonder why the CFC has not decided to publish its newsletter in book form once a year. Is it because its finances are in such good health that making some extra money has no appeal at all ?
    Clearly this is a no-brainer because there are very little risks involved here. A print run of say 300 copies would self-financed itself within weeks and then bring in clear profits.

Re: Canadian Chess News

I would buy a copy. I prefer hard-copy to electronic format.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
      I wonder why the CFC has not decided to publish its newsletter in book form once a year. Is it because its finances are in such good health that making some extra money has no appeal at all ?
      Clearly this is a no-brainer because there are very little risks involved here. A print run of say 300 copies would self-financed itself within weeks and then bring in clear profits.
      Especially if a trial run used print-on-demand systems like www.lulu.com ...
      (not necessarily recommending that site - I am sure there are many)

Jean, what method(s) do you use to publish your annual book?
      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
        Actually, this idea has occurred to me.

Are we talking about a "best of" annual edition, a complete hard copy print of all 12 issues, or something in between? We need to answer this question first.

It would be risk free if we could sell out enough copies to break even before we began work. So what would be our optimal selling price?

You're suggesting 300 copies is self financing, would you care to share the math with us? :D

Comment

I'd prefer a complete set although I would probably still purchase a "Best of..." if that was all that was on offer.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
            Actually, this idea has occurred to me.

Are we talking about a "best of" annual edition, a complete hard copy print of all 12 issues, or something in between? We need to answer this question first.

It would be risk free if we could sell out enough copies to break even before we began work. So what would be our optimal selling price?

You're suggesting 300 copies is self financing, would you care to share the math with us? :D
            I don't think the difference in price between "best of" and "all of" would be that much (unless there isn't much 'best of' - lol) Perhaps a compendium of the issues for the year could be edited to omit the advertisements/rating lists/ etc. that have a "best before date" and need not be in the annual issue at all...

First thing would be to figure out how much it might cost (ballpark) for an issue (having decided what an issue actually *is*) and then see if there is enough interest at that price point + small profit.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
              I'd prefer a complete set although I would probably still purchase a "Best of..." if that was all that was on offer.
              Interesting idea. Some things to consider would be to publish them with everything from each issue, or exclude things like the rating pages, coming events, ads, etc.

To me, it would make sense to publish all the articles and Across Canada. Such a book, if published yearly, would still be quite large, somewhere around 500 pages give or take a few.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                I don't think the difference in price between "best of" and "all of" would be that much (unless there isn't much 'best of' - lol) Perhaps a compendium of the issues for the year could be edited to omit the advertisements/rating lists/ etc. that have a "best before date" and need not be in the annual issue at all...

First thing would be to figure out how much it might cost (ballpark) for an issue (having decided what an issue actually *is*) and then see if there is enough interest at that price point + small profit.
                You beat me to the punch by 2 minutes!

You are exactly right. To find out our market, we could put a survey in a future issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Ficzere View Post
                  Interesting idea. Some things to consider would be to publish them with everything from each issue, or exclude things like the rating pages, coming events, ads, etc.

To me, it would make sense to publish all the articles and Across Canada. Such a book, if published yearly, would still be quite large, somewhere around 500 pages give or take a few.
                  I see we had a similar idea (to omit the dated stuff...), but to your point about 500 pages: I don't know if a significant reduction in pages could be had by reducing the overall font to that of printed books (perhaps the font is already that size?) or making diagrams/pictures smaller and reflowing the columns etc. That starts to sound like a serious amount of 'rework' though.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                    I see we had a similar idea (to omit the dated stuff...), but to your point about 500 pages: I don't know if a significant reduction in pages could be had by reducing the overall font to that of printed books (perhaps the font is already that size?) or making diagrams/pictures smaller and reflowing the columns etc. That starts to sound like a serious amount of 'rework' though.
                    Yes, reducing the font size would require an entire relayout, a bit of work for sure. However, if there is a market for it, I would do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
                      I would buy a copy. I prefer hard-copy to electronic format.
                      I would like to place my order for 1 copy of 2011 edition = hard bound.

Comment

How would it be marketed? Via message board and the CFC store?

I remember having CCCA stuff sitting here for years. Have you ever seen 150,000 chess postcards sitting on your basement floor? Lovely, just errrr... lovely. :)
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Ficzere View Post
                          You beat me to the punch by 2 minutes!

You are exactly right. To find out our market, we could put a survey in a future issue.

Ideal Price Point - $29.95 plus GST

We would pick up 30 copies if we get a respectible discount. I would say selling 100-150 copies is very doable. I would base my budget on selling 100 copies...with everything above that being just great Thank You :)....and that without much effort. If the CFC wants to sell more than 150 copies then...it will require work :)

Hébert's book sells for $36.95 (French books are more expensive than English books). His layout is A+. Analysis of games by an IM....and if he has takers in France...he should, with work, sell his 300 copies.

Neil Sullivan published a book of his best games. He worked hard on the book and worked hard at selling it. If he had not done the legwork for sales...it would not have sold. I don't know the final sales numbers (well...not final because it is still in print :)...maybe Neil can tell us more.

BTW, Chess'n Math is the publisher of the books for kids by Jeff Coakley. His best selling book "Winning Chess Strategy for Kids" is considered a must buy in the English language countries...and we have done extremely well with it.

Larry

Comment

We are talking about a big book here, the definitive collectors book for Canadian Chess activity for 2011. Hard cover, limited edition. Make it something extraordinary.

Price $75 - $150 :D

Profits go to the Olympic fund. :)

Let's break out of this cheap mode!
                            Am I crazy?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                              We are talking about a big book here, the definitive collectors book for Canadian Chess activity for 2011. Hard cover, limited edition. Make it something extraordinary.

Price $75 - $150 :D

Profits go to the Olympic fund. :)

Let's break out of this cheap mode!
                              Am I crazy?

You are allowed to dream...that is the beauty of life in Canada :)...at that price...you are looking at 50 - 75 copies sold...over the next 2 years :)

Larry

Comment

Working...
                              X