Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Canadian Chess News

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
    You are allowed to dream...that is the beauty of life in Canada :)...at that price...you are looking at 50 - 75 copies sold...over the next 2 years :)

Larry
    This should be a project for the Past President or Vice President to embark on next year. Shouldn't take any more than a month to determine the optimal selling point. Tony's quick estimate on the production cost rule out $29.99 as a selling point or probably even $39.99, if we're considering publishing all of the topical material.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Ficzere View Post
      Yes, reducing the font size would require an entire relayout, a bit of work for sure. However, if there is a market for it, I would do it.
      Probably the book should have black/white photos/diagrams to reduce costs. Thus it would require editing anyway :D

IMHO, the real annual volume would be better then a 1:1 collection. The CD/DVD may contain all issues. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
        This should be a project for the Past President or Vice President to embark on next year. Shouldn't take any more than a month to determine the optimal selling point. Tony's quick estimate on the production cost rule out $29.99 as a selling point or probably even $39.99, if we're considering publishing all of the topical material.
        Hi Fred,

You are correct...what do I know...I have only been in this business for 33 years...sell it for $100... (afterall it is available for free on the net) sounds awesome :)

Larry

Comment

Hi Fred,

You are correct...what do I know...I have only been in this business for 33 years...sell it for $100... (afterall it is available for free on the net) sounds awesome :)

Larry
          Larry

The whole idea is very unfocused at this point, but worth pursuing. When Tony gave us an estimate on the cost, I felt we could pare it down to a "best of", reducing the production costs - keeping a "reasonable" price. Bob has other ideas.;)

Comment

Ideal Price Point - $29.95 plus GST

We would pick up 30 copies if we get a respectible discount. I would say selling 100-150 copies is very doable. I would base my budget on selling 100 copies...with everything above that being just great Thank You :)....and that without much effort. If the CFC wants to sell more than 150 copies then...it will require work :)

Hébert's book sells for $36.95 (French books are more expensive than English books). His layout is A+. Analysis of games by an IM....and if he has takers in France...he should, with work, sell his 300 copies.

Neil Sullivan published a book of his best games. He worked hard on the book and worked hard at selling it. If he had not done the legwork for sales...it would not have sold. I don't know the final sales numbers (well...not final because it is still in print :)...maybe Neil can tell us more.

BTW, Chess'n Math is the publisher of the books for kids by Jeff Coakley. His best selling book "Winning Chess Strategy for Kids" is considered a must buy in the English language countries...and we have done extremely well with it.

Larry
            The book was available through CMA and remains so through lulu.com, amazon.com and direct from me. I can confirm that I have sold more than 300 hard copies and about 150 file downloads.

There is a market for quirky chess books and dedicated collectors who will hunt them down to acquire them. Of course, you do need to push to get yours noticed. Word of mouth is crucial.

In my opinion, no decent book can lose money if you only look at the production costs. That said, for most of us it needs to be a labor of love; one that won't pay minimum wage! :)

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
              Especially if a trial run used print-on-demand systems like www.lulu.com ...
              (not necessarily recommending that site - I am sure there are many)

Jean, what method(s) do you use to publish your annual book?
              I find a local printer whose price I like and then order. :) For CCN I would publish it as is, minus the replay links pages and possibly some ad pages that appear more than once. There is no point in redesigning the layout which is already very good.
              The critical decision is about the number of copies to be printed. But yearly volumes of CCN are likely to keep selling for a long time if not for ever. You just need a bit of storage space.

Comment

Could be more to add to my "storage space" (already about 36 shelf-feet of bound magazines, and another 16 shelf-feet for my Informants - still not enough room to shelve all my other chess books).

Comment

Hébert's book sells for $36.95 (French books are more expensive than English books). His layout is A+. Analysis of games by an IM....and if he has takers in France...he should, with work, sell his 300 copies.
                  I have conservatively printed only 100 copies and I now regret a little not to have proceeded sooner. As things stand in three months time I have sold or given away as gifts (9) about half of them, recouping all my (money not time)investment already.
                  Considering that CCN is in english and will draw interest from people from all continents, printing 200, 300 or even 500 copies is really a no-brainer. If I had the rights I would do it tomorrow morning without hesitation.

Comment

Would you be interested in acquiring the rights, Jean?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
                      Would you be interested in acquiring the rights, Jean?
                      I am mostly interested in seeing CCN in book form for the benefit of chess players and chess book lovers. At this point it would be premature to speculate whether or not the CFC is going to sell its rights.

Comment

BTW, Chess'n Math is the publisher of the books for kids by Jeff Coakley. His best selling book "Winning Chess Strategy for Kids" is considered a must buy in the English language countries...and we have done extremely well with it.

Larry
                        I think there is a broader market for Jeff's great work. His mate in one problems would be great for the kids' magazine "Owl" or in the free daily games paper "metroplay" put out by Metro (metroplay.ca). Puzzles distributed by King Features Syndicate, Inc., so maybe they should be the people contacted. Or try community newspapers. The master-level problems in the Star are discouraging for casual players. Solving Jeff's mate-in-ones will make them feel smarter.

Comment

A CFC newsletter in printed form is a good idea!! A small booklet is much more portable than a computer, and more affordable. Kids, at least, should love it!

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Bokhout View Post
                            A CFC newsletter in printed form is a good idea!! A small booklet is much more portable than a computer, and more affordable. Kids, at least, should love it!
                            Kids would love i- versions :D

Comment

Working...
                            X