Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 0 rating points for a win??

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
    I expect at least one rating point for a win - otherwise whats the use in bothering?
    It is scared when a champion complains about rating points. Was it boring to draw other two games or even winning three in a row? Man, you are champion of the Twin City. Congratulations.

Comment

Ratings are overrated. If we didn't have them people would play more fearlessly, and wouldn't worry much about these match ups.

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
        I'm sure you could make a fairly strong case to the Ratings Auditor (or the Exec) to have your rating tossed entirely, or to have it changed to something around your correspondence rating.
        Remember back in your high school days and the teacher would say close
        your books and put away your notes, the test begins now and you had an hour to finish. Imagine if you had special powers and you were allowed to keep those textbooks open and take all day to finish the test. I would imagine you might perform well.

Gary has those special powers. If you think those with special powers should receive top academic awards well its an interesting theory. And I suppose in the course of decades of using those special powers, one might gain enough knowledge to compete with your top peers. But you have to close the books and do that hour first.

The granting of honorary ratings to inactive players is controversial to say the least, but certainly if this is the case I expect it will be an option available to all inactive players. We'll call it the "Chris Mallon motion". I look forward to the CFC debating your motion for a few years.

Might be simpler if Gary just played in otb events though.

ps Thanks for remembering to keep the CFC entertaining. The new Presidential candidate seems far too down to earth to continue the
        CFC tradition of entertainment.
        Last edited by Duncan Smith; Wednesday, 29th June, 2011, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
          Remember back in your high school days and the teacher would say close
          your books and put away your notes, the test begins now and you had an hour to finish. Imagine if you had special powers and you were allowed to keep those textbooks open and take all day to finish the test. I would imagine you might perform well.

Gary has those special powers. If you think those with special powers should receive top academic awards well its an interesting theory. And I suppose in the course of decades of using those special powers, one might gain enough knowledge to compete with your top peers. But you have to close the books and do that hour first.

The granting of honorary ratings to inactive players is controversial to say the least, but certainly if this is the case I expect it will be an option available to all inactive players. We'll call it the "Chris Mallon motion". I look forward to the CFC debating your motion for a few years.

Might be simpler if Gary just played in otb events though.

ps Thanks for remembering to keep the CFC entertaining. The new Presidential candidate seems far too down to earth to continue the
          CFC tradition of entertainment.

Why don't you F*CK OFF, Duncan. When I was in high school I was the provincial junior champion over the board.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Lucas Davies View Post
            Why does it matter if you get 1 point or 0? Like, it's 1 point. Who cares?
            I often found having a lower rating was far more lucrative then a higher one.
            Plus it let's you be a "surprise" sometimes even if you suck at chess. I'm willing to restart at a 300 rating after years of inactivity, and Ruben can have my 1000 points. Let's make the Olympiad choices harder next time :
            Charbonneau, Hanson, Ruben is a close race. Of course if Ruben is chosen, they'll be complaining about yet another Ontario player chosen over others.
            A lot of people might not know this, but Ruben is potentially Canada's next Korchnoi, and for god's sake people give the man a chance !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
              Why don't you F*CK OFF, Duncan. When I was in high school I was the provincial junior champion over the board.
              No worries Gary, I look forward to your nomination to the Olympiad team.
              As I said in another post, you could be Canada's Korchnoi, if only the buggers at the CFC would give you a chance.
              And we need to keep the CFC entertaining.

Comment

No worries Gary, I look forward to your nomination to the Olympiad team.
                As I said in another post, you could be Canada's Korchnoi, if only the buggers at the CFC would give you a chance.
                At least my parents weren't my biggest impediment.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

At least my parents weren't my biggest impediment.
                  Gary, one would think that someone with your history would be more respectful of other parents, but you took another route and you just seem angry all the time. You don't seem to be a very nice person.

Comment

Just getting back to Hans' situation, I had a look at the tournament and agree with Roger that the only anomaly in Hans' result was the lack of reward for defeating Garrett Forsyth. I don't know Garrett but it appears quite possible that he is seriously under-rated. He has been inactive for eight years and although formerly a 1200-1300 player, his performance rating of 1919 in the K-W event tells me he has been doing something in the interim to improve his game (internet chess, for example).
                    I have been discussing various options for addressing under-rated juniors (I suppose there are under-rated adults such as Garrett as well) with the CFC Executive. One option that could be explored is that when a player's performance rating is significantly higher than his/her actual pre-tournament rating, then use the under-rated player's performance rating to calculate the gain or loss of rating points of his/her opponent.
                    Admittedly, this may not have helped Hans gain any points from his win against Garrett since even using Garrett's performance rating of 1919 leaves Hans almost 400 points higher than Garrett.
                    I would however, be interested in whether anyone feels my suggestion is worth further study.
                    Paul Leblanc
                    Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
                      Just getting back to Hans' situation, I had a look at the tournament and agree with Roger that the only anomaly in Hans' result was the lack of reward for defeating Garrett Forsyth. I don't know Garrett but it appears quite possible that he is seriously under-rated. He has been inactive for eight years and although formerly a 1200-1300 player, his performance rating of 1919 in the K-W event tells me he has been doing something in the interim to improve his game (internet chess, for example).
                      I have been discussing various options for addressing under-rated juniors (I suppose there are under-rated adults such as Garrett as well) with the CFC Executive. One option that could be explored is that when a player's performance rating is significantly higher than his/her actual pre-tournament rating, then use the under-rated player's performance rating to calculate the gain or loss of rating points of his/her opponent.
                      Admittedly, this may not have helped Hans gain any points from his win against Garrett since even using Garrett's performance rating of 1919 leaves Hans almost 400 points higher than Garrett.
                      I would however, be interested in whether anyone feels my suggestion is worth further study.
                      The rating system is going to be extremely inefficient for a while because of the two sets of rule changes and the greater number of skilled players on the sidelines or playing very infrequently.

Ten years ago chess was extremely challenging rating wise locally; then the rule changes and points were easy for a while. Now anyone who returns to chess is going to be underrated compared to the recent regulars. Not sure if this matters, but I suspect if enough players come back ( say after university ), there will be some give back of points.

A fast track rule for improving players is in my opinion important given that events like Olympiad will be unfair for the next 4-6 years for anyone who skipped the boom. Otherwise, people won't bother trying.

Comment

Duncan, did you grow up in London and attend Oakridge Secondary?
                        "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                        "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                        "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Gary, one would think that someone with your history would be more respectful of other parents, but you took another route and you just seem angry all the time. You don't seem to be a very nice person.
                          Yes, the history. Check under Junior. I played only the one time. Irwin was trying for 3 in a row.

Click Here...

You should really take some time to inform yourself before you throw your insults.
                          Gary Ruben
                          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Yes, the history. Check under Junior. I played only the one time. Irwin was trying for 3 in a row.

Click Here...

You should really take some time to inform yourself before you throw your insults.

Gary: You should consider playing in the World Senior sometime. Hal runs the Canadian Senior on the August long weekend and raises money for the winner's airfare.

To put your rough equity with Lipnowski (ca.1961) in perspective, two years later he came 6th in the Canadian Closed ahead of Suttles, Witt, Vaitonis, and Allan. His CFC high was 2400+ and could probably still be 2300+, if he was active.

Comment

Thanks everybody for your replies, Stephen thanks for the clarification. Erwin I sympathize with you however you apparently had a lack of information about provisional ratings. I know several players in the past who cared about high ratings and were very selective of tournaments when they were still provisonally rated - I was one and had a very high active rating when active ratings first came out (provisionally around 2400) - and at one time you could cancel your rating and start again with a provisional rating - a few masters took advantage of that opportunity. Vlad I think I agree with you - I need to be selective about playing in tournaments and avoid playing more than two levels below me.

Comment

hm, i notice there's an irwin lipnowski and then some years later a sam lipnowski pops up

am i to infer that sam lipnowski is... son of fm irwin lipnowski????????
                                everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Working...
                                X