2011 CYCC Reports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: To Chris Mallon re CYCC Prize distribution

I'm a "chess father" for 4 years and my son played in 3 CYCCs: Ottawa, Quebec City and Richmond Hill. I can tell you that this year CYCC was very well organized. Like the one from Ottawa it generated extra cash. Why should this cash go to the "black hole" named CFC. Did CFC explained to us what happened with the extra money they got from Ottawa's CYCC?

I don't know the details of the bid but according to CFC handbook :

(a) Canadian Youth Chess Championship (CYCC) is a qualifier to international youth chess competitions.

Top 3 finishers in each section are qualified to become official representatives for:

1) World Youth Chess Championship (WYCC);

2) Pan American Youth Chess Championship;

3) North American Youth Chess Championship.

So received the extra money the top 3 will use it toward these tournaments. Why is CFC crying after this money? To be the middle man and get his share?

Bob,
    I know you for a while and I believe you did a great job as CFC President. Please don't ruin everything in your last week as President. I expect CFC will present a full financial report at AGM next week. I'd like to see what happened with the extra money that CFC received from Ottawa's CYCC.

Victor,
    You and the other parents did a great job organizing this year CYCC. Thank you.

Rene Preotu

Comment

Anyways, if there is any extra money, why can't the CFC distribute it?
      Last edited by Jesse Wang; Sunday, 10th July, 2011, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Denton Cockburn View Post
        So it was the intention of the CFC that none of the players were to receive cash prizes. Considering the cost of playing in this tournament, that seems pretty cruel to me.

The CFC should fundraise to get the extra money they need.

Denton (biased coach of a prizewinner)
        Denton,

The CYCC is the fundraiser for the WYCC. The prize for winning the CYCC is to represent Canada at the WYCC. These funds are needed for their intended purpose, to cover travel costs to the WYCC. All the money will go into the CFC Youth fund, and returned to the kids to cover costs in international events. None of this money will ever be diverted to cover other CFC costs.

It is these renegade rookie organizers who are being cruel to the kids. None of the participants at the CYCC had any expectation of cash awards, they were happy to compete for national championship titles, and the right to enter the WYCC. Now these rogue organizers have made promises they had no authority to make. They are the ones being cruel.

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
          So received the extra money the top 3 will use it toward these tournaments. Why is CFC crying after this money? To be the middle man and get his share?
          Rene - The CFC get no cut or commission. All the funds go into the CFC Youth program and used to cover travel and other costs for our youth to participate in international events.

We are "crying after this money" because otherwise we will not have sufficient funds to send the kids to WYCC this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
            Denton,

The CYCC is the fundraiser for the WYCC. The prize for winning the CYCC is to represent Canada at the WYCC. These funds are needed for their intended purpose, to cover travel costs to the WYCC. All the money will go into the CFC Youth fund, and returned to the kids to cover costs in international events. None of this money will ever be diverted to cover other CFC costs.

It is these renegade rookie organizers who are being cruel to the kids. None of the participants at the CYCC had any expectation of cash awards, they were happy to compete for national championship titles, and the right to enter the WYCC. Now these rogue organizers have made promises they had no authority to make. They are the ones being cruel.
            The CFC intends for the CYCC to be a qualifier for the WYCC, but that's not the impression I get from parents who put their kids in the tournament. We had the previous CYCC in Windsor, and parents treated this as the national youth championships. It was the only chance they got to have their kids compete with players from all over the country.

Perhaps this could be seen as an opportunity though. It suggests there is an opening for a new tournament(s). Canada needs both a national youth championships, and a way to select players for the WYCC, with the necessary financial requirements met.

The naming of the CYCC is a misnomer to me. If the goal is to create players for the WYCC, then how about a separate tournament called the WYCC-Qualifier (or some such name).

I don't know how the CFC gets funds for all this, but I think collecting some fee from regional qualifiers would reduce the need to collect everything from the CYCC (WYCC-Qualifier).

Now, we should have a REAL national youth championships. With the goal being to determine the strongest kids from all over Canada in their respective groups. This tournament should have great prizes, and yes, some of the money could go to the CFC. It should have nothing to do with being a qualifier for another tournament.

I will say though that I understand the CFC's position here. A deal is a deal. Even if the deal is terrible, it should be honoured. This is now a really bad situation, as the money has already been distributed. The possible solution for the CFC would be that any player that will proceed to the WYCC will have the prize money they received from the CYCC deducted from the assistance that was to be provided by the CFC. As not all CYCC qualified players will want to continue to the WYCC, this doesn't seem such a bad idea. Those who didn't plan to continue get a fair prize amount, and those that do continue will count it as a part of their funding.

Denton

Comment

The CFC intends for the CYCC to be a qualifier for the WYCC, but that's not the impression I get from parents who put their kids in the tournament. We had the previous CYCC in Windsor, and parents treated this as the national youth championships. It was the only chance they got to have their kids compete with players from all over the country.
              The CYCC is the National Youth Championship, the winners are our National Champions. :)

Comment

The CYCC is the National Youth Championship, the winners are our National Champions. :)
                Then it should be really treated that way and not as a qualifier for a tournament that a lot of parents may have no interest in.

Again, I'm seeing this as an opportunity for the CFC. The money can be recouped from those continuing on to the WYCC.

I actually think this should be the norm if you don't want another tournament. Give winners their prizes and recoup it later if they continue on.

Denton

Comment

I will say though that I understand the CFC's position here. A deal is a deal. Even if the deal is terrible, it should be honoured. This is now a really bad situation, as the money has already been distributed.
                  Denton
                  Fortunately, the money has not been distributed yet. Chief Organizer Anna Jin correctly refused to sign the cheques. So as you see, this prize distribution was not approved by the entire committee, nor was it approved by the TD Patrick McDonald. The money need to go towards its intended purpose, funding the WYCC trip. The bid contract must be honoured.

The tournament was great. But now a few rookie organizers have ruined it.

Comment

Another idea: The CFC should try to over-raise funds for these tournaments. That way it doesn't risk everything if there is one bad year.

Comment

Another idea: The CFC should try to over-raise funds for these tournaments. That way it doesn't risk everything if there is one bad year.
                      The objective is always to raise as much as possible. Any extra is carried forward to the next year. It is all accounted for properly in the CFC financial statements which is public knowledge on our website.

Comment

A lot of people are missing the point here. People like Denton Cockburn - debate all you want about the future of the program. That has nothing to do with this case.

The fact is that it is the CFC's money and Victor Itkine is not allowed to spend it however he wishes no matter how many "organizing committee votes" he has to back him up.
                        Christopher Mallon
                        FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
                          A lot of people are missing the point here. People like Denton Cockburn - debate all you want about the future of the program. That has nothing to do with this case.

The fact is that it is the CFC's money and Victor Itkine is not allowed to spend it however he wishes no matter how many "organizing committee votes" he has to back him up.
                          Hi Chris,

Note that I did say this:

I will say though that I understand the CFC's position here. A deal is a deal. Even if the deal is terrible, it should be honoured.
                          Denton
                          I even put forward an idea for how the CFC could recoup the money if it was already distributed, which fortunately I guess, it isn't.

Yes though, I do think the way it's done isn't best for the players and should be changed for the future.

Denton

Comment

The prize fund distribution proposed by Victor violates the terms of the CYCC bid accepted by the CFC. According to the bid, the first $20,000 goes towards the WYCC, and the $18,200 surplus goes towards the WYCC, NAYCC, and PanAm games. These funds, $38,200 are to be turned over to the CFC Youth fund, then awarded to our players at these three international events. This is clearly stated in the bid document. No mention is made of any cash distribution to winners at the CYCC.

Victor has been invited to the AGM on monday to explain his actions.
                            Here is the quote from 2011 CYCC Richmond Hill bid:

"We guarantee the CFC a minimum of $15,000 from the entry fees, and a maximum of $20,000. This protects the CFC in case of a low turnout, and if there is an above-average attendance, the surplus will distribute to WYCC, PanAM, NYCC entrants."

I am surprised and shocked with Bob Gillanders' interpretation of this Paragraph.

I'll bring the original bid at the AGM on Monday.

Also, please note that at the time when our bid was presented to CFC (November, 2010) the terms of 2011 NAYCC and 2011 PanAmYCC were not known yet. Unfortunately, these tournaments were scheduled prior to the 2011 CYCC.

Comment

Originally posted by Jin Daxin View Post
                              Committee members asked me sign 36 checks on closing ceremony to players directly yesterday and I refused.
                              At the CYCC Organizing Committee's Meeting prior to the CYCC the decision was made (by the vote of majority) to distribute all the surplus to CYCC prize-winners at the Closing Ceremony. I will bring the Original of the Minutes of this Meeting to AGM on Monday. These Minutes have been signrd by Daxin Jin as well (even though she did not vote for all the decisions made on the Meeting, she had accepted the decision of the majority).

On July 9 at the last second Daxin Jin have changed her mind to sign the cheques for the children and proposed to pay part of the money to the volunteers (mostly her friends) to TD (Extra bonus) and to the members of the Organizing Committee to compencate the entry fees paid by their own children.

Originally posted by Jin Daxin View Post
                              Unbelievable Victor Itkin took all money 20,000, 18,200, 1764 from 2011cycc account yesterday by himself without my permission. I will investigate with bank about this. All money should directly pay from 2011CYCC to CFC, not someone can take bank draft doing what he want.
                              Hope Everyone appreciate what I did in 2011CYCC for all players. Pls understand this is internal CFC decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Itkine View Post
                                Here is the quote from 2011 CYCC Richmond Hill bid:

"We guarantee the CFC a minimum of $15,000 from the entry fees, and a maximum of $20,000. This protects the CFC in case of a low turnout, and if there is an above-average attendance, the surplus will distribute to WYCC, PanAM, NYCC entrants."

I am surprised and shocked with Bob Gillanders' interpretation of this Paragraph.

I'll bring the original bid at the AGM on Monday.

Also, please note that at the time when our bid was presented to CFC (November, 2010) the terms of 2011 NAYCC and 2011 PanAmYCC were not known yet. Unfortunately, these tournaments were scheduled prior to the 2011 CYCC.
                                Oh snap!

That's a good counter.
                                This is turning into some good theatre.

I'm an expert at reading contract law, so I figure I'll be seeing some really nice contract/agreement language in the next little bit.

By the way, that is some pretty nicely written language.

Denton

Comment

Working...
                                X