Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: To Chris Mallon re CYCC Prize distribution

Originally posted by Jin Daxin View Post
    Committee members asked me sign 36 checks on closing ceremony to players directly yesterday and I refused.
    At the CYCC Organizing Committee's Meeting prior to the CYCC the decision was made (by the vote of the majority) to distribute all the surplus to CYCC prize-winners at the Closing Ceremony. I will bring the Original of the Minutes of this Meeting to AGM on Monday. These Minutes have been signed by Daxin Jin as well (even though she did not vote for all the decisions made on the Meeting, she had accepted the decision of the majority).

On July 9 at the last second Daxin Jin have changed her mind to sign the cheques for the children and proposed to pay part of the money to the volunteers (mostly her friends) to TD (Extra bonus) and to the members of the Organizing Committee to compensate the entry fees paid by their own children.

Originally posted by Jin Daxin View Post

Unbelievable Victor Itkin took all money 20,000, 18,200, 1764 from 2011cycc account yesterday by himself without my permission. I will investigate with bank about this. All money should directly pay from 2011CYCC to CFC, not someone can take bank draft doing what he want.
    1. I did not need Daxin's permition to issue the Bank Drafts, because I was acting on the majority decision of the CYCC Organizing Committee, and because I have the authority on the 2011 CYCC bank account.

2. All three Bank Drafts signed by me ($20,000; $1,764 and $18,200) are payable to "Chess Federation of Canada (CFC)".

3. All the details and documents will be provided at AGM on Monday.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Itkine View Post
      At the CYCC Organizing Committee's Meeting prior to the CYCC the decision was made (by the vote of majority) to distribute all the surplus to CYCC prize-winners at the Closing Ceremony. I will bring the Original of the Minutes of this Meeting to AGM on Monday. These Minutes have been signrd by Daxin Jin as well (even though she did not vote for all the decisions made on the Meeting, she had accepted the decision of the majority).

On July 9 at the last second Daxin Jin have changed her mind to sign the cheques for the children and proposed to pay part of the money to the volunteers (mostly her friends) to TD (Extra bonus) and to the members of the Organizing Committee to compencate the entry fees paid by their own children.
      This is getting better. I'm not used to chess drama. Here I thought chess players were all stodgy nerds (myself included).

Comment

At the CYCC Organizing Committee's Meeting prior to the CYCC the decision was made (by the vote of the majority) to distribute all the surplus to CYCC prize-winners at the Closing Ceremony. I will bring the Original of the Minutes of this Meeting to AGM on Monday. These Minutes have been signed by Daxin Jin as well (even though she did not vote for all the decisions made on the Meeting, she had accepted the decision of the majority).

On July 9 at the last second Daxin Jin have changed her mind to sign the cheques for the children and proposed to pay part of the money to the volunteers (mostly her friends) to TD (Extra bonus) and to the members of the Organizing Committee to compensate the entry fees paid by their own children.

1. I did not need Daxin's permition to issue the Bank Drafts, because I was acting on the majority decision of the CYCC Organizing Committee, and because I have the authority on the 2011 CYCC bank account.

2. All three Bank Drafts signed by me ($20,000; $1,764 and $18,200) are payable to "Chess Federation of Canada (CFC)".

3. All the details and documents will be provided at AGM on Monday.
        Victor: If you had a bank draft for $18,200 already made out to the CFC, how were you going to write 36 cheques on the account for this same amount ? - I'm confused about this.

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
          A lot of people are missing the point here. People like Denton Cockburn - debate all you want about the future of the program. That has nothing to do with this case.

The fact is that it is the CFC's money and Victor Itkine is not allowed to spend it however he wishes no matter how many "organizing committee votes" he has to back him up.
          Once again, CFC has already received their money ($20,000 according to the bid) plus $1,764 (membership fees collected at site prior to the CYCC).

Here is a guote from 2011 CYCC Richmond Hill bid one more time:

"We guarantee the CFC a minimum of $15,000 from the entry fees, and a maximum of $20,000. This protects the CFC in case of a low turnout, and if there is an above-average attendance, the surplus will distribute to WYCC, PanAM, NYCC entrants."

Comment

Thank you Rene,
            I agree that the tournament was well organized and from my part as the "hired help" (read Chief Arbiter) everything went very smoothly.

Denton,
            The CYCC has always been the National Youth Championships.
            It has also acted, secondarily, as the qualifier for the WYCC and along with that a fund-raiser to send kids to the WYCC.
            Even more recently, it has had a third purpose of qualfying players to the Pan American and North American YCC tournaments.
            In the past, the CFC has often operated in the negative with this event funding the airfare 100% for the top finisher from each section.
            A few years ago, it was agreed to change this to a $1000 towards airfare for the top place finisher from each section. The intention was to give realistic expectations to the players and families, while leaving the door open to enable paying more of the cost in years when it was affordable.

Families going to the CYCC have never expected cash awards.

If we are in a surplus year, we should operate with the process of helping the families that are going to these international events.
            These have always been the purposes of the CYCC.
            (1st National Championship, 2nd qualify and offer financial support to attend WYCC, 3rd qualify and offer financial support to attend PanAm and North American YCCs)
            ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
            Patrick McDonald

:D********;)

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick McDonald View Post
              Thank you Rene,
              I agree that the tournament was well organized and from my part as the "hired help" (read Chief Arbiter) everything went very smoothly.

Denton,
              The CYCC has always been the National Youth Championships.
              It has also acted, secondarily, as the qualifier for the WYCC and along with that a fund-raiser to send kids to the WYCC.
              Even more recently, it has had a third purpose of qualfying players to the Pan American and North American YCC tournaments.
              In the past, the CFC has often operated in the negative with this event funding the airfare 100% for the top finisher from each section.
              A few years ago, it was agreed to change this to a $1000 towards airfare for the top place finisher from each section. The intention was to give realistic expectations to the players and families, while leaving the door open to enable paying more of the cost in years when it was affordable.

Families going to the CYCC have never expected cash awards.

If we are in a surplus year, we should operate with the process of helping the families that are going to these international events.
              These have always been the purposes of the CYCC.
              (1st National Championship, 2nd qualify and offer financial support to attend WYCC, 3rd qualify and offer financial support to attend PanAm and North American YCCs)
              Yeah, this is all pretty clear to me now.
              I'm just saying it kind of sucks for parents/players.

It's an expensive tournament, and unless you're planning to go on to one of the bigger tournaments, you stand to gain nothing. If you do want to go on...you get help towards going, but not necessarily enough to get you there.

I would love to see a national youth championships that actually gives prizes (and not promises of future financial assistance) to the position holders.

If it works for you guys though, as it seems to, then there isn't really a reason to change anything. I just like throwing out ideas :)

Denton

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
                Victor: If you had a bank draft for $18,200 already made out to the CFC, how were you going to write 36 cheques on the account for this same amount ? - I'm confused about this.
                Fred,

This Bank Draft is in possession of 2011 CYCC treasurer and will be demonstrated at the AGM on Monday.

I signed this Bank Draft according to the Organizing Committee's majority decision for the purpose not to allow Daxin Jin to spend this money to the volunteers, to her friends, etc.

We (all other four members of the Organizing Committee) will try to convince CFC Governors at the AGM to distribute this money to the CYCC winners.

If we will be successfull, we will put this Bank Draft back to 2011 CYCC account and distribute the money.

If we will be not successfull, I'll consider the option to pay all 36 winners from my personal money according to the table which I have posted at the ChessTalk yesterday.

Sincerely,

Victor.

Comment

Fred,

This Bank Draft is in possession of 2011 CYCC treasurer and will be demonstrated at the AGM on Monday.

I signed this Bank Draft according to the Organizing Committee's majority decision for the purpose not to allow Daxin Jin to spend this money to the volunteers, to her friends, etc.

We (all other four members of the Organizing Committee) will try to convince CFC Governors at the AGM to distribute this money to the CYCC winners.

If we will be successfull, we will put this Bank Draft back to 2011 CYCC account and distribute the money.

If we will be not successfull, I'll consider the option to pay all 36 winners from my personal money according to the table which I have posted at the ChessTalk yesterday.

Sincerely,

Victor.
                  Victor: Thanks for the explanation on that point. And to think I was expecting Monday to be a quick day at the AGM (I'm attending remotely - technology willing).

Comment

Have the agendas for the meetings been posted and do you know at about what time this issue will be discussed

Comment

CYCC Surplus Dispute - Process & Substance

The Cooperative Chess Coalition ( CCC ) understands that there is no constitution for the CYCC organizing committee, and that it has functioned on an " as evolving " basis. As such, the CCC takes the position, that the organizing committee is operating on a " collegial " basis - by majority vote of the committee. The Chair in such a situation is not a dictator, deciding everything. The Chair has one equal vote, and no right of veto over majority decisions. So we have no problem with the process being followed here by the " rebellious " organizing committee majority, over-riding the Chair, as long as they are not doing anything illegal ( though CFC argues they are in breach of contract ). And from one of Victor's earlier posts, it seems that there is precedent in earlier meetings, for the majority vote rule.

Having said that, the issue of what happens to any CYCC surplus, above that contractually promised in the contract term being posted by Victor ( spokesperson for the majority ), seems a bit murky. But there are words in the contract that would seem to support the CFC interpretation. As well, it may be some type of precedent that the 2007 Ottawa organizing committee, gave the surplus ( I don't remember the exact amount, but it was substantial ( maybe Gord Ritchie can enlighten us ) ) to the CFC for the Youth program ( and I believe specifically to defray expenses of Canadian reps to the Pan-American and North-American YCC's ).

But we are going to wait 'til the Monday AGM presentations, and hear the contract interpretation argument from both sides. To get directly involved in the substantive issue itself, may be straying a bit from our general mandate, but we will see if we feel we should take a position, once all the arguments are in.

Bob, CCC Coordinator
                      Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Sunday, 10th July, 2011, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Once again, CFC has already received their money ($20,000 according to the bid) plus $1,764 (membership fees collected at site prior to the CYCC).

Here is a guote from 2011 CYCC Richmond Hill bid one more time:

"We guarantee the CFC a minimum of $15,000 from the entry fees, and a maximum of $20,000. This protects the CFC in case of a low turnout, and if there is an above-average attendance, the surplus will distribute to WYCC, PanAM, NYCC entrants."
                        The surplus going to WYCC PanAM and NYCC entrants is far different than awarding a prize fund on a grid, I'm sure you can see.
                        Christopher Mallon
                        FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
                          The surplus going to WYCC PanAM and NYCC entrants is far different than awarding a prize fund on a grid, I'm sure you can see.
                          On a legal reading of this:

It says distributed to those 3 groups, it doesn't mention how the distribution is to be done. As that isn't specified, the organizing committee would be in its rights to determine how to divide the amount.

Victor has stated his intention to let the CFC decide the matter, but that's a funny way of deciding contract disputes; allowing one party to make the final decision.

As was said, an agreement is an agreement. If it was poorly written in a way that disadvantages the CFC, then it is still just as valid.

Denton

Comment

Re: CYCC Surplus Dispute - Process & Substance

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                            The Cooperative Chess Coalition ( CCC ) understands that there is no constitution for the CYCC organizing committee, and that it has functioned on an " as evolving " basis. As such, the CCC takes the position, that the organizing committee is operating on a " collegial " basis - by majority vote of the committee.
                            That may or may not be so. The question is, who was assuming the downside risk? If it is the committee as a whole then it is reasonable to assume that they all had a vote in disposition of funds. If it was the chairperson then we would have a different interpretation.

Also the qualifiers for these tournaments are the same kids who would be getting the payments from the "rogue" organizers, are they not?

The Chair in such a situation is not a dictator, deciding everything. The Chair has one equal vote, and no right of veto over majority decisions. So we have no problem with the process being followed here by the " rebellious " organizing committee majority, over-riding the Chair, as long as they are not doing anything illegal ( though CFC argues they are in breach of contract ). And from one of Victor's earlier posts, it seems that there is precedent in earlier meetings, for the majority vote rule.
                            I think that we may have a poorly worded contract here. On the one hand it clearly states that the CFC was to receive a minimum of $15k and a maximum of $20k. There is a further indication that if there is an exceptionally good turnout the surplus would go to various tournament participants who are the same kids that would get the cash. At what point though is this surplus determined? I would guess once all the tournament expenses are calculated. The distributions might be reasonably argued as having occurred before the surplus is calculated.

I don't want to make any judgement until I have heard all the arguments and seen the contract language in total. Hopefully we will get to hear from the members of the 2011 CYCC committee as well (who did a wonderful job from what I saw over the two days that I visited the site).

Comment

Re: 2011 CYCC Reports

I am going to mention here a point for people to think about before the meeting tomorrow ...

If the contract states that the surplus is to be distributed to the WYCC, Pan Am and NAYCC entrants, how can we be sure that after a player that finishes top 3 receives this money, they will indeed attend any of these events?

The only way I can see with dealing with this is that the CFC should put the money into the Youth account and distribute once the teams are made up that will go to these events.
                              (And this should not be retroactive, but the events coming up).
                              ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
                              Patrick McDonald

:D********;)

Comment

Re: 2011 CYCC Reports

Originally posted by Patrick McDonald View Post
                                I am going to mention here a point for people to think about before the meeting tomorrow ...

If the contract states that the surplus is to be distributed to the WYCC, Pan Am and NAYCC entrants, how can we be sure that after a player that finishes top 3 receives this money, they will indeed attend any of these events?

The only way I can see with dealing with this is that the CFC should put the money into the Youth account and distribute once the teams are made up that will go to these events.
                                (And this should not be retroactive, but the events coming up).
                                It might be argued that the surplus referred to is the extra $5000 over and above the minimum promised payment. Painful as it may be to certain members of the CFC executive and governors perhaps the CFC does not have the right to interfere in this decision. Further, interfering could open the CFC to legal liability that would be much more costly than the amounts involved. Of course I will wait until I have heard all the facts before making up my mind.

Comment

Working...
                                X