Canadian Chess League

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Canadian Chess League

So far there has been no cheating! Why don't we wait and see!
    NO CHEATING AT ALL!

Comment

Yes, it must be a common location.

Comment

The games will be CFC rated, so they must be members.

ICC league memberships are free but are only for our games.

Finally, who is to say that the top players can't all come out and play in the top division. don't most tournaments have amateur sections also? The USCL has them all play from the same location. I don't see how the CCL is different from teh US model at all, except for ours being more inclusive.

Comment

As I posted under Mr. Berry's post, I don't see why the top players can't come out and play in this format. The CCL is just like the USCL.
          The weaker players would be playing against people with similar ratings. It is ok if everyone gets to play, even if they are not masters, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Profit View Post
            So far there has been no cheating! Why don't we wait and see!
            NO CHEATING AT ALL!
            Yes, but there haven't been any games have there? or did I miss something?
            Don't you think there might be some value in discussing the possibilities before hand?

By the way, I absolutely agree that it should be tried despite concerns about cheating, but suggestions to have trial run(s) and recommendations to avoid any cheating should at least be considered.
            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
              I'm also inclined to agree, broadly, with Jean's other points. With regard to cheating, ICC and USCL have oodles of experience, why not follow that, in detail? I'm not a computer maven, but I'd think that the ideal interface would be a bootable CD/DVD/USB stick which would not have access to the hard drive at all. It would be a CCL-UI, with only specified apps running during the matches (that's why a VM would be slightly less ideal). OTOH, if we're talking public space and computers, aren't we therefore talking public libraries, which in this area at least means Linux machines? Librarians have reservations about users installing any kind of software on their machines, just like Vlado does.

Two basic questions: will each player as an individual be required to join CFC? ICC?
              The public libraries around here use Windows XP the last time I looked. It would not be a huge problem for me to set up a computer or even four that would be used solely for this purpose so I am not ruling out installing any software, I am only ruling it out on any of my normal workhorse desktop/notebook/netbook computers. The hardware for this application could be rather basic. I would be willing to use my own notebook computer if the requirements remained the same as those described to me by Brian.

CFC membership will be required. There will be a special ICC account set up for free for each team so all team members have to play from the same location.

With all due respect to Jean Hebert there is no reason to delay the implementation of this idea. People are playing in such team leagues all over the place. If there is a huge amount of interest we may eventually see numbers like we had in Detroit in the 1970s and 1980s and even through the 1990s where several hundreds of people played in a dozen or more leagues on one Friday per month with the teams organized on the simple idea that the top eight teams by rating made up the first league. The next eight teams by rating were the second league and so on down to teams that had an average rating of 1200 or less. There was a similar travelling SWOCL league that I played in briefly in the late 1970s so the idea is not totally foreign here either.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Baljeu View Post
                Where could people go to get exclusive access to 4 computers with internet for 4 hours straight? Libraries don't offer that length usually. Universities restrict access to students. 16h of cafe time could be expensive.
                I'd have no problem hooking 4 laptop computers into my wireless network at home.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

For CFC rated events as this hopes to be, I would think having a certified arbiter at each location would be best.

As for the whole "well there is software that can monitor what is active on your computer!" .... my cell phone plays at almost GM strength, how about yours?
                  Christopher Mallon
                  FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
                    my cell phone plays at almost GM strength, how about yours?
                    What phone are you using? I'm kind of looking around for one.
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Blackberry 9780
                      Christopher Mallon
                      FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
                        Blackberry 9780
                        Thanks. I'm kind of waiting for the Torch 2 to arrive.
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Profit View Post
                          The CCL is just like the USCL.
                          I wasn't looking forward to making a line-by-line comparison of the CCL rules with the USCL rules. With the assurance that they are the same, I'm satisfied that reasonable safeguards against cheating will be in place in the CCL. I think that the identity between CCL computer rules and those of the USCL would be a good point to highlight when recruiting players and teams.

If the CCL is to start in September, it doesn't seem unreasonable to have a trial run or three in the next six weeks. If only to wear in the Commissioner of Chess.

Comment

A certified artiter at each location would immediately exclude a vast majority of players all across Canada from playing. Again, our solution is to have teams play in a public place and all play from the same location. If you can convince 4 people to cheat, you can convince a fifth. If someone can tell me about cheating under this set up, I would love to listen.
                            And by the way, Chris, I am still waiting for access to the CFC board. I applied last week.

Comment

I would love to have a trial match up. We have some sponsorship in the works, but the first teams that sign up will get their homepage on the CCL website set up immediately and I will try to get them to play some warmup matches.

Comment

This CCL: Great idea Brian!

Comment

Working...
                                X