Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retrograde Analysis Chess Problem

Analyzing backward...

What was White's last move? Composed by Bernd Schwarzkopf, taken from a recent issue of Die Schwalbe, a German problem magazine that has existed continuously since 1924.

A little summer fun!

Re: Retrograde Analysis Chess Problem

Originally posted by J. Ken MacDonald View Post
    Analyzing backward...

What was White's last move? Composed by Bernd Schwarzkopf, taken from a recent issue of Die Schwalbe, a German problem magazine that has existed continuously since 1924.

A little summer fun!
    The first thing I thought of was: g7 x Nh8(Q) and the Black N could have previously been moved to h8 from f7 or g6... (being a Knight, that would make the position legal?)
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

A little summer fun!
      Can we post a solution? (does not mean it is a right one)

Comment

First thing I thought of was pawn g7 x grasshopper h8 = queen. Obviously, I've been thinking too much about ferry chess and vermin.
        Last edited by Jonathan Berry; Saturday, 23rd July, 2011, 01:21 PM. Reason: add link

Comment

Retrograde Analysis Chess Problem

Kerry has it correct. The "obvious" (wrong) try is g7-g8(B), but then, one would have to prove that Black had a previous move. There isn't one.

Heck, Kerry, could you at least allow the ink to dry on my next diagram? :)

Comment

Kerry has it correct. The "obvious" (wrong) try is g7-g8(B), but then, one would have to prove that Black had a previous move. There isn't one.

Heck, Kerry, could you at least allow the ink to dry on my next diagram? :)
            Sorry... I just wandered by and saw it and...

I hesitated (!) because I thought allowing the N to be on either of two squares was like a "dual", but I couldn't think of anything better.
            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
              Sorry... I just wandered by and saw it and...

I hesitated (!) because I thought allowing the N to be on either of two squares was like a "dual", but I couldn't think of anything better.
              I wondered the same thing, but, it does seem that ether could have been played. I searched some definitions to determine if "duals" were a consideration in Retrograde Analysis problems. I could not find reference material either way and doubt it applies.

Comment

Analyzing backward...

A little summer fun!

2 g5-g6 Nf7
                3 g7 Nh8
                4 gxh8 Q

Ng5-f7 impossible as the white pawn occupied that square
                so N came from another square

Comment

Originally posted by Gilles Groleau View Post
                  2 g5-g6 Nf7
                  3 g7 Nh8
                  4 gxh8 Q

Ng5-f7 impossible as the white pawn occupied that square
                  so N came from another square
                  If the WP had been on g7 and simply stayed there while B played his Kt and White played his B around the board, there would be no reason for any P moves in the solution, e.g., could, as an example, the previous 5 moves have been...
                  1.Bb3 Nd6
                  2.Bc4 Nc8
                  3.Bb3 Nd6
                  4.Bc4 Nf7
                  5.Bg8 Nh8

just as an example.

I am doing this in my head, so, hopefully, I haven't got any sequence or square wrong.

Comment

Working...
                  X