Question for the Ratings Auditor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for the Ratings Auditor

The regulations for the NM title says the player must stay over 2200 for 25 games.

Now here's what I want to know:

If a player has played 24 games, and is at 2201, and then plays a tournament of 5 games, wins the first game, then loses the next 4, with the final result being that their rating drops to 2180 or so, would the player have met the rules for the 25 games?

(on game 25 they still stayed above 2200, but on game 26 they drop below, and end up below at the end of the event).

I want to know because I've got 23 games and a 4 round tournament coming up on Saturday.

Denton

Re: Question for the Ratings Auditor

Denton, to save me searching can you tell me where you found the quote?

It seems to me that you would qualify if you stayed in the zone one more game as opposed to an entire tournament and I would certainly support you if that is what happens, however, let me read the article you reference first.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

http://chess.ca/section-7

738. CFC Life Masters. The CFC will issue a "Certificate of Chess Master" for each player who achieves a CFC rating of 2200 or above for 24 consecutive regular tournament games. Players who have achieved this performance in the past can request their certificate from the CFC business office, by providing satisfactory evidence of their performance to the CFC business office. [see Motion 2003-01; 02-03GL3, December 2002]

Comment

I would imagine that a game-by-game basis would count, but it would be up to you to provide the math showing that the first game of your 4-round event didn't drop you below 2200. Assuming that you DID drop below 2200 after the event of course.
        Christopher Mallon
        FIDE Arbiter

Comment

A similar question was asked in the latest Arbiter's Corner on Chess Cafe. In this case it was regarding reaching 2300 for the FM title.

Anyway, it's up to Paul to rule on this one.

One other factor is whether the tournament that put you up to 2200+ counts in the number of games.

Comment

I didn't count the games from the tournament that put me over 2200.
            I've played 23 games since that tournament.

I'm +2.2 over my expected rating, so I mathematically can't go below 2200 in my next 2 games, I'm just wondering if I'd be ineligible for the NM title if I lose all 4 games of the 4 game tournament (which would be a terrible day indeed), as I'd then drop below 2200.

It matters because logically if it's the event that counts (instead of the games), then it would be better to withdraw from the tournament after losing the first 2 games.

It's an interesting topic because I figure it may come up again for someone else.

Denton

Comment

This is why my proposed new rules only count event norms, not a certain number of games - it avoids grey areas.
              Christopher Mallon
              FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Denton Cockburn View Post
                I didn't count the games from the tournament that put me over 2200.
                I've played 23 games since that tournament.

I'm +2.2 over my expected rating, so I mathematically can't go below 2200 in my next 2 games, I'm just wondering if I'd be ineligible for the NM title if I lose all 4 games of the 4 game tournament (which would be a terrible day indeed), as I'd then drop below 2200.

It matters because logically if it's the event that counts (instead of the games), then it would be better to withdraw from the tournament after losing the first 2 games.

It's an interesting topic because I figure it may come up again for someone else.

Denton
                Good luck and let's hope you don't have to call Vlad Drk. (who administers the program) on Monday :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
                  This is why my proposed new rules only count event norms, not a certain number of games - it avoids grey areas.
                  I'm already a full supporter of your proposals. Good luck with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
                    Good luck and let's hope you don't have to call Vlad Drk. (who administers the program) on Monday :-)
                    Thanks! He'll be in the tournament too funnily enough.

Comment

the NM title sounds useless, why would anyone go to the trouble of having a cfc masters title, it's like paying fide to get a candidate master title besides your name except worse since the national master title is only recognized in canada
                      Shameless self-promotion on display here
                      http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
                        the NM title sounds useless, why would anyone go to the trouble of having a cfc masters title, it's like paying fide to get a candidate master title besides your name except worse since the national master title is only recognized in canada
                        ... really? seriously?

Just because you had the opportunity to achieve higher titles doesn't mean you should denigrate those who would strive for lower ones.

After all, the CFC would not be able to do pretty much anything to help all you internationally titled players (who get free CFC membership, by the way) if it didn't get income from people like Denton and myself.

And before someone decides to post any idiocy about how the CFC doesn't do anything for them, look up how much the CFC pays FIDE every year for title applications, not to mention simply being a member of FIDE.

P.S. The only thing wrong with the FIDE CM title is that they charge you for it, and the fee is more than nominal.
                        Christopher Mallon
                        FIDE Arbiter

Comment

... really? seriously?

Just because you had the opportunity to achieve higher titles doesn't mean you should denigrate those who would strive for lower ones.

After all, the CFC would not be able to do pretty much anything to help all you internationally titled players (who get free CFC membership, by the way) if it didn't get income from people like Denton and myself.

And before someone decides to post any idiocy about how the CFC doesn't do anything for them, look up how much the CFC pays FIDE every year for title applications, not to mention simply being a member of FIDE.

P.S. The only thing wrong with the FIDE CM title is that they charge you for it, and the fee is more than nominal.

LMAO, are you kidding me? You honestly think a little certificate saying that you're over 2200 for 24 games means anything? If someone's actually a master, that kind of nonsense shouldn't affect whether they decide to "risk" their precious master rating in a local weekender. I didn't say anything was wrong with CFC and I don't denigrate anyone who would strive for lower ones. All I said is that it's truly lame to actually ask about the NM title, I don't even think it's a legitimate title - it's just something that people put over their names to make them seem stronger than they actually are. Also there's plenty wrong with the CM title besides the fact that the only people that get it are fringe masters with 2200 fide - 1) fide charges you and 2) FM title is already easy enough to get - just touch 2300 once, it's not rocket science.

P.S. Denigrate is a fancy word - I'll definitely use it in future english essays.
                          Shameless self-promotion on display here
                          http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
                            LMAO, are you kidding me? You honestly think a little certificate saying that you're over 2200 for 24 games means anything?
                            Well, you could also say "Does a 100% in Grade 10 Math mean anything?"

In the grand scheme of things, no it doesn't open any doors for you, but it's still something to be proud about, that very VERY few Canadians ever achieve, and if someone wants to be proud of achieving something like this, who are YOU to say they shouldn't be?
                            Christopher Mallon
                            FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Well, you could also say "Does a 100% in Grade 10 Math mean anything?"

In the grand scheme of things, no it doesn't open any doors for you, but it's still something to be proud about, that very VERY few Canadians ever achieve, and if someone wants to be proud of achieving something like this, who are YOU to say they shouldn't be?
                              It gives you an upgraded membership on chess.com for free I'm told and also gets you into certain tournaments for free.

Comment

Working...
                              X