Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Question for the Ratings Auditor

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
    LMAO, are you kidding me? You honestly think a little certificate saying that you're over 2200 for 24 games means anything? If someone's actually a master, that kind of nonsense shouldn't affect whether they decide to "risk" their precious master rating in a local weekender. I didn't say anything was wrong with CFC and I don't denigrate anyone who would strive for lower ones. All I said is that it's truly lame to actually ask about the NM title, I don't even think it's a legitimate title - it's just something that people put over their names to make them seem stronger than they actually are. Also there's plenty wrong with the CM title besides the fact that the only people that get it are fringe masters with 2200 fide - 1) fide charges you and 2) FM title is already easy enough to get - just touch 2300 once, it's not rocket science.

P.S. Denigrate is a fancy word - I'll definitely use it in future english essays.
    Wow, what a truly condescending thing to say. I'm glad Carlsen at 20 doesn't publicly have that view of lower titles.

Unless you were just naturally talented (in which case it doesn't mean as much), I'm sure you had to work really hard to get to your FM title.

Not everyone has the ability to dedicate as much time and finances to chess. For those that have many other things to do, getting an NM title is still an accomplishment.

There is such a small percentage of chess players that ever make NM, much less CM or FM.

Good luck in your continued hard work toward higher titles such as IM and GM. I'll continue to work to hopefully reach the FM title that you currently have.

Denton

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
      I would imagine that a game-by-game basis would count, but it would be up to you to provide the math showing that the first game of your 4-round event didn't drop you below 2200. Assuming that you DID drop below 2200 after the event of course.
      If you feel a game-by-game basis would count then this hypothetical 2201 player could equally well lose round 1 dropping down and then goes 4-0 in the rest of the tournament (going back up) and should be denied his title. Might be a can of worms.

Comment

I think the qualification for the certificate should be event by event, the same way ratings are calculated.

How about this addition to the wording, in bold italics:

738. CFC Life Masters. The CFC will issue a "Certificate of Chess Master" for each player who achieves a CFC rating of 2200 or above in events totaling at least 24 consecutive regular tournament games.

Comment

The rule as it stands now clearly states "game by game" and Denton might already have qualified for the certificate by virtue of the last game played in the event that put him over 2200.
          Personally, I think he deserves the certificate if he achieves it in any one of the three ways being discussed.
          Paul Leblanc
          Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

I don't think anyone ever had an issue with Bruce Pandolfini using his NM title as his qualification to coach & write books.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
              The rule as it stands now clearly states "game by game" and Denton might already have qualified for the certificate by virtue of the last game played in the event that put him over 2200.
              Personally, I think he deserves the certificate if he achieves it in any one of the three ways being discussed.
              That's great news!

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
                I think the qualification for the certificate should be event by event, the same way ratings are calculated.

How about this addition to the wording, in bold italics:

738. CFC Life Masters. The CFC will issue a "Certificate of Chess Master" for each player who achieves a CFC rating of 2200 or above in events totaling at least 24 consecutive regular tournament games.
                There's no need for this change as we are hopefully replacing the whole section.
                Christopher Mallon
                FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Well, you could also say "Does a 100% in Grade 10 Math mean anything?"

In the grand scheme of things, no it doesn't open any doors for you, but it's still something to be proud about, that very VERY few Canadians ever achieve, and if someone wants to be proud of achieving something like this, who are YOU to say they shouldn't be?
                  To answer your question, a 100% in grade 10 math doesn't mean jack but congrats on that mark if you got it in grade 10. I've known so many kids who had 90%+ averages in high school and somehow managed to fail first year university or barely pass it. I really doubt the NM title is something to be proud of. Denton could easily just say he's NM and no one would dispute that fact seeing as he's been over 2200 for the past 5 events. You don't need a certificate claiming what you are if you've earned it. Lastly, why are You being such a hater? Sure you'll probably never get the famous NM title but that's ok, life goes on - one less possible NM in the world isn't going to harm anyone. When you say VERY VERY VERY few canadians do you mean the general population or tournament players? Cause I know a ton of tournament players who got to 2200 and are now "National Masters" even though they don't really deserve that title. With the inflation of CFC ratings I'm sure more and more people will get that opportunity to put that NM title besides their name and write a few children's books.

P.S. I haven't gotten free cfc membership yet, in fact mine doesn't expire until april 2012. Now I don't know if former cfc presidents gets life membership but if they do,
                  Shameless self-promotion on display here
                  http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

To answer your question, a 100% in grade 10 math doesn't mean jack.....
                    Cause I know a ton of tournament players who got to 2200 and are now "National Masters" even though they don't really deserve that title. With the inflation of CFC ratings I'm sure more and more people will get that opportunity to put that NM title besides their name and write a few children's books.

P.S. I haven't gotten free cfc membership yet, in fact mine doesn't expire until april 2012. Now I don't know if former cfc presidents gets life membership but if they do,
                    wow....such hostility!
                    ......okay now, who has been pissing in Bindi's corn flakes? :D

but I do like your idea about life memberships for ex presidents! :)

Comment

To answer your question, a 100% in grade 10 math doesn't mean jack but congrats on that mark if you got it in grade 10. I've known so many kids who had 90%+ averages in high school and somehow managed to fail first year university or barely pass it. I really doubt the NM title is something to be proud of. Denton could easily just say he's NM and no one would dispute that fact seeing as he's been over 2200 for the past 5 events. You don't need a certificate claiming what you are if you've earned it. Lastly, why are You being such a hater? Sure you'll probably never get the famous NM title but that's ok, life goes on - one less possible NM in the world isn't going to harm anyone. When you say VERY VERY VERY few canadians do you mean the general population or tournament players? Cause I know a ton of tournament players who got to 2200 and are now "National Masters" even though they don't really deserve that title. With the inflation of CFC ratings I'm sure more and more people will get that opportunity to put that NM title besides their name and write a few children's books.

Umm. Wow. Who's being the hater, exactly?

I don't really see that there's any point in continuing this conversation until you have a chance to grow up. Perhaps we'll try again in a few years.
                      Christopher Mallon
                      FIDE Arbiter

Comment

A 100% on the University of Waterloo grade 10 math competition would mean quite a bit.

Comment

Umm. Wow. Who's being the hater, exactly?

I don't really see that there's any point in continuing this conversation until you have a chance to grow up. Perhaps we'll try again in a few years.
                          All I did was answer all your concerns with legitimate answers. I really don't see where you get the notion I have to grow up. You should get with the times, name calling is so last year.
                          All joking aside, I just want to summarize that self-made titles are not useful at judging a player's strength. If you look at the uscf system , theres NM - 2200, candidate master - 2000, first category - 1800 and so on all the way down to 1200. Imagine if at every tournament, there's always someone saying wow I'm a 2nd category player as I just broke 1600. Wouldn't that be just a little bit annoying like awarding trophies to a 8-man race where all 8 racers gets a trophy? I'm confused as to why so many individuals seem to be offended by my statements when I'm merely speaking the truth.

Comment

All joking aside, I just want to summarize that self-made titles are not useful at judging a player's strength. If you look at the uscf system , theres NM - 2200, candidate master - 2000, first category - 1800 and so on all the way down to 1200.
                            The National Master and Candidates Master titles were used in correspondence chess in Canada for decades now. They call it the CCCA Master title. Players do work toward them and it was/is a decent incentive for players to continue.

The criteria are as follows.

"The title CCCA Master is a permanent title which can only be achieved by fulfilling one of the 9 requirements below:

1. Win the Canadian Closed CC Championship. (K-series)

2. Finish 2nd or 3rd twice in the Canadian Closed CC Championship ("K").

3. Achieve an international CC title. (IM or GM).

4. Win an 11-man ICCF Master Class Tournament.

5. Finish 2nd or 3rd twice in an 11-man ICCF Master Class Tournament.

6. Score 50% or better when playing for Canada in a CC Olympiad.

7. Score the IM norm requirement in an ICCF Master Norm Tournament (regular or email).

8. Score the IM norm less 1 point in an ICCF Master Norm tournament (regular or email) and earn a half norm for the CCCA Master title.

9. Win a CCCA Candidate Master Challenge "M" tournament. Half norms are also available in this tournament but requirements can vary from year to year and are determined by the number of participants and the average rating of the tournament participants."

Much of the criteria is tied to international play and norms, except for 1, 2, and 9. Such a title should be difficult to achieve.

The Candidate master title is easier to obtain. The details are here for anyone who might be interested.

Click Here...
                            Gary Ruben
                            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

All I did was answer all your concerns with legitimate answers. I really don't see where you get the notion I have to grow up. You should get with the times, name calling is so last year.
                              All joking aside, I just want to summarize that self-made titles are not useful at judging a player's strength. If you look at the uscf system , theres NM - 2200, candidate master - 2000, first category - 1800 and so on all the way down to 1200. Imagine if at every tournament, there's always someone saying wow I'm a 2nd category player as I just broke 1600. Wouldn't that be just a little bit annoying like awarding trophies to a 8-man race where all 8 racers gets a trophy? I'm confused as to why so many individuals seem to be offended by my statements when I'm merely speaking the truth.
                              In terms of growing up, you are too young to remember, not being born at the time, but the general reaction to FM titles when they were introduced was much the same as your reaction to NM titles. Useless! Weak! yada yada yada. Still, they seem to be accepted now. And I fondly remember breaking 1600 myself.

In any case, what skin off your nose is it that someone gets a title? If it works for them, it's not your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
                                In terms of growing up, you are too young to remember, not being born at the time, but the general reaction to FM titles when they were introduced was much the same as your reaction to NM titles. Useless! Weak! yada yada yada. Still, they seem to be accepted now. And I fondly remember breaking 1600 myself.

In any case, what skin off your nose is it that someone gets a title? If it works for them, it's not your problem.
                                I don't think FM is as accepted as you may think, for one ICC doesn't even offer free membership to them :(
                                As I've said, I don't mean to offend anyone in pursuit of a nationally recognized title, I just think if you're going to aim for that, why not slightly higher and be internationally recognized

Comment

Working...
                                X