Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Surprised the CFC ratings not updated yet

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
    You can get tournaments rated "out of order" for certain individuals if (for example) someone plays in a 5-round one-game-a-week event, and plays in a couple of weekend Swisses during that time. His 5-rounder won't be rated until its completion; meanwhile, the Swisses have been rated.

Is the CFC's rating program sophisticated enough to rate games/tournaments like these in exact chronological order?
    I asked that very question some time ago - I don't recall the exact answer, but it seems like the answer was "maybe". What I gathered was that out-of-sequence items could be 'inserted' into the proper place but only by going back and restarting the rating grinder and that wasn't something that was fun or popular to do... I think it may have involved restoring backups, then "resubmitting" the events with the rogue event now included... hardly counts as sophistication.

Perhaps my impressions of how it works are wrong; I have yet to meet, talk to, or even hear about anyone who really knows! (if they do, they can jump into this thread)
    Last edited by Kerry Liles; Thursday, 25th August, 2011, 09:37 PM. Reason: typos
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Larry, can you expand on the "Victoria-Vancouver philosophy"?
      I guess you are aware that as the new Rating Auditor I've been trying hard to enforce the CFC rules regarding time controls for Regular Rated events.
      Paul Leblanc
      Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
        Larry, can you expand on the "Victoria-Vancouver philosophy"?
        I guess you are aware that as the new Rating Auditor I've been trying hard to enforce the CFC rules regarding time controls for Regular Rated events.
        Paul, no doubt you will find much to keep you occupied as rating auditor, but you may want to look into the 'procedures' and processes too (I am not implying there is - or ever was - anything sinister going on, just the possibility for some problems). In particular, I don't know if there is an established procedure for handling events that are submitted:

- out of order (presumably because the report is late, delayed because the fees were wrong or short, delayed to make corrections etc)

- incorrectly (you have already encountered this: active versus regular or vice-versa)

- way too late (not sure what 'too late means')

etc

as I suggested in a previous post, I have no idea what collection of software/manual procedures/tweaks the CFC uses to produce ratings... perhaps a careful analysis of that would reveal opportunities to streamline and solidify the process.

;)

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
          I asked that very question some time ago - I don't recall the exact answer, but it seems like the answer was "maybe". What I gathered was that out-of-sequence items could be 'inserted' into the proper place but only by going back and restarting the rating grinder and that wasn't something that was fun or popular to do... I think it may have involved restoring backups, then "resubmitting" the events with the rogue event now included... hardly counts as sophistication.

Perhaps my impressions of how it works are wrong; I have yet to meet, talk to, or even hear about anyone who really knows! (if they do, they can jump into this thread)
          Kerry - that is basically correct. Gerry will keep several weeks in a temporary batch so that each week the program will rerate them thus maintaining chronological order. Once he is confident he has them all, he can "close off" a period of time by moving them into the permanent database. So if a tournament is submitted "too late", it will be out of chronological order.

FYI - all games in a tournament are rated as of the tournament finish date. :)

When I was ED I didn't bother taking this extra step. Each weeks rating was permanent, so there were more "out of order" tournaments. IMHO, the rating error is small and not worth the extra effort to rerate. I guess Gerry isn't as lazy as me. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
            Is that a reference to the long standing Victoria - Vancouver philosophy regarding this question? Or is this something of which I am not aware :)
            Perhaps you are reading too much into what I wrote. Simply, there have been a number of tournaments that were played under active time controls and incorrectly rated as regular. See Paul's post elsewhere on this.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
              Kerry - that is basically correct. Gerry will keep several weeks in a temporary batch so that each week the program will rerate them thus maintaining chronological order. Once he is confident he has them all, he can "close off" a period of time by moving them into the permanent database. So if a tournament is submitted "too late", it will be out of chronological order.

FYI - all games in a tournament are rated as of the tournament finish date. :)

When I was ED I didn't bother taking this extra step. Each weeks rating was permanent, so there were more "out of order" tournaments. IMHO, the rating error is small and not worth the extra effort to rerate. I guess Gerry isn't as lazy as me. :)
              Go to know how the process works Bob - thanks. I would agree that the potential difference caused by rating a tournament out of sequence is likely small, but it seems some people are quite obsessed with their rating (and I could see that if I was 1 point away from being a GM)

Comment

Go to know how the process works Bob - thanks. I would agree that the potential difference caused by rating a tournament out of sequence is likely small, but it seems some people are quite obsessed with their rating (and I could see that if I was 1 point away from being a GM)
                Perhaps we should start listing ratings including basis points as we do with interest rates.

Comment

but it seems some people are quite obsessed with their rating
                  No. Say it isn't so! :D:D

You should just take the attitude, easy come, easy go. :D
                  It works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                    You should just take the attitude, easy come, easy go. :D
                    It works for me.
                    It doesn't work for high rated players or correspondence players. Lose rating points and losing invitations follow. Anyone organizing an international correspondence category 12 event doesn't want players with category 10 (as an example) rating. I'd assume it's the same for over the board.
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                      It doesn't work for high rated players or correspondence players. Lose rating points and losing invitations follow. Anyone organizing an international correspondence category 12 event doesn't want players with category 10 (as an example) rating. I'd assume it's the same for over the board.
                      The only Canadian player to receive invitations to International (ie out of country) Invitationals recently is Mark Bluvshtein, at least as far as I know.

That is clearly an advantage to correspondence. Geography is not a barrier. Also by the very nature of the game, swiss tournaments don't exist.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post

That is clearly an advantage to correspondence. Geography is not a barrier. Also by the very nature of the game, swiss tournaments don't exist.
                        That's not exactly correct. Large events with over 100 players in one section are paired in correspondence chess using the Silli system. It's usually used in a qualification event like the world cup where maybe 10 players go to the next round. I played in it once and qualified for the semi final of the world cup, before there was computer chess programs, and I directed one such large section with over 100 players in a postal event.

Each player had 10 opponents, 5 with the white pieces and 5 with the black pieces. It was a nightmare to direct. The event was for the ICCF Jubilee tournament and the entries were free. So there were silent dropouts and I had to write to all a players opponents to inform them they had won after I tried to find the silent player who often didn't reply to me.

I guess if you have 1200 players you could have 10 preliminary sections with the top 10 going to the final round and the final placings from that.

Part of the secret of getting invitations is to be a character who becomes well known. That helps to get in IF a person can also play.

Some nations organizers look for old titled players well past their prime, who still have their rating so it will be easier for their players to obtain titles. They need players from 3 different nations so a Canadian is a natural. This would also work well for over the board organizers trying to get titles for our players.

Maybe I should tell you why I declined my invtiation to play on the upcoming Pan Am correspondence team. The invitation made a mistake the CFC seems to make when they invite players, if I'm understanding the invitation process properly.
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                          That's not exactly correct. Large events with over 100 players in one section are paired in correspondence chess using the Silli system. It's usually used in a qualification event like the world cup where maybe 10 players go to the next round. I played in it once and qualified for the semi final of the world cup, before there was computer chess programs, and I directed one such large section with over 100 players in a postal event.

Each player had 10 opponents, 5 with the white pieces and 5 with the black pieces. It was a nightmare to direct. The event was for the ICCF Jubilee tournament and the entries were free. So there were silent dropouts and I had to write to all a players opponents to inform them they had won after I tried to find the silent player who often didn't reply to me.

I guess if you have 1200 players you could have 10 preliminary sections with the top 10 going to the final round and the final placings from that.

Part of the secret of getting invitations is to be a character who becomes well known. That helps to get in IF a person can also play.

Some nations organizers look for old titled players well past their prime, who still have their rating so it will be easier for their players to obtain titles. They need players from 3 different nations so a Canadian is a natural. This would also work well for over the board organizers trying to get titles for our players.

Maybe I should tell you why I declined my invtiation to play on the upcoming Pan Am correspondence team. The invitation made a mistake the CFC seems to make when they invite players, if I'm understanding the invitation process properly.
                          I mean no disrespect Gary, but we're talking about CFC otb ratings and not correspondence chess and Fred is right in that Mark is probably the only one recently who actually plays in Canada to get invitations to good tournaments. I don't know how correspondence invitation rating works but I assume most of the readers on chesstalk only care about otb ratings and otb invitations. Therefore, it doesn't really make much of a difference if a certain tournament was rated a bit late seeing as how it has no effect on their overall standing unless they want to say that for the current tournament period they are National Masters. I personally don't care that Gerry is a bit late, I still remember the days when ratings were updated 3x slower than now on a Wednesday and sometimes they weren't even updated properly.
                          Shameless self-promotion on display here
                          http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Fred was a bit misinformed about pariing systems in CC and the importance of international ratings.

Although I think the CFC going to national titles is a good move, is anyone getting international invitations based on Canadian ratings?

Anyhow, we're on the eve of the World Cup and I'm rooting for both our representatives so don't want to get into who gets invitations and that sort of thing. I was writing generally and not specific to anyone.
                            Gary Ruben
                            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                            X