2011 Fall Governors' On-line Meeting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 Fall Governors' On-line Meeting

It started Saturday, Oct. 1, and runs to Saturday, Oct. 8. 58% of the Governors are in attendance ( 32/55 ).

Voting on Motions started last night.

Motions/ results are to be posted before the end of the meeting on the members' CFC Chess Chat Forum:

CFC Handbook, Section 2, Rules and Regulations, Article 1, paragraph. 22A:

(5) Vote Results: As soon after the close of voting on motions as possible, the Posting Secretary will post the results of all motions, giving the names of governors and their vote, and confirm whether the motion passed or failed (e.g. whether constitutional amendments achieved the 2/3 majority needed ), on the Governors’ Discussion Board and the members’ CFC Chess Forum.

Bob A, CFC Public Relations Coordinator

Re: 2011 Fall Governors' On-line Meeting

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
    It started Saturday, Oct. 1, and runs to Saturday, Oct. 8. 58% of the Governors are in attendance ( 32/55 ).

Wow....58%. I guess this really is democracy in action. KB{l}
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
    "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
      Wow....58%. I guess this really is democracy in action. KB{l}
      I think what's more important is the fact that we have 32 people who believe in the CFC and are willing to take several hours out of their busy week to attend the on-line happenings and have an effect on the course of events.

It doesn't really matter about those that are not attending, they are the perennial deadwood. Some provinces just don't have enough caring people, some of our "mandatory" governors have served their time.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
        ... some of our "mandatory" governors have served their time.
        I figure most will show up to vote against that.

By the way, around 3.5% of the members being honourary members seems a bit high to me. You should be charging. It's not like the organization is a charity.
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Participation Has Improved

Hi Peter:

I also would like to see less " deadwood " among the governors - it makes me wonder why someone becomes a governor who does not intend to carry out a key function - going to the quarterly/AGM meetings ( can go by internet or by proxy if can't attend personally ).

But it must also be seen in context - under the old Governors' Letters voting system, we used to get about 25- 35% participation! So we have encouraged more governors to participate with our modern stream-lined cyber-space meetings over the course of a full week.

So it is a significant group of volunteer governors doing the actual running of the CFC.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
            I think what's more important is the fact that we have 32 people who believe in the CFC and are willing to take several hours out of their busy week to attend the on-line happenings and have an effect on the course of events. ...
            You're right, Fred. I'm turning into a grumpy old fart. :) I like your glass-is-half-full approach.
            "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
            "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
            "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

And we had some fireworks. A code of conduct for a Governors was suggested by a former executive member and a current executive member suggested I should do the federation a favour and resign as Governor. I wonder if all of the discussions held at the CFC AGM would pass the litmus test of a code of conduct.

Comment

In CFC World, you know you are doing good work when the entrenched want you to quit. ;-)
                "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

That was my conclusion as well, Tom.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
                    And we had some fireworks. A code of conduct for a Governors was suggested by a former executive member and a current executive member suggested I should do the federation a favour and resign as Governor. I wonder if all of the discussions held at the CFC AGM would pass the litmus test of a code of conduct.
                    That is depressing to hear Ken. I hope you consider the source before worrying about the suggestion.
                    I cannot say I always agree with everything you write, but I absolutely respect your opinion and advice and I believe you *care*.

best regards.
                    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                      That is depressing to hear Ken. I hope you consider the source before worrying about the suggestion.
                      I cannot say I always agree with everything you write, but I absolutely respect your opinion and advice and I believe you *care*.

best regards.
                      It is understandable that defendant will try to defend his/her positions. We all do respect an opinion of the defendant, but in this case it is irrelevant, and nothing more. With everything that happened in CFC world in last so far in last year all direction point not in its favor. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post

In today's world in order for organization to be successful it must reward its customers and think outside of the box.

Kudos to you Ken for trying to do a right thing! I guess other CFC executives and governors do not see it the same way.

I wonder where CFC would be, if it was in real competitive world??? I bet,
                        its memberships will be decreasing. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Mikhail Egorov View Post
                          In today's world in order for organization to be successful it must reward its customers and think outside of the box.

Kudos to you Ken for trying to do a right thing! I guess other CFC executives and governors do not see it the same way.

I wonder where CFC would be, if it was in real competitive world??? I bet,
                          its memberships will be decreasing. :)
                          If it was anything other than a 2-man crusade against Ken, at least the rest were smart enough to keep their mouths shut (or their fingers still, in this case). Ironically, the demand for resignation basically proved Ken's point, as well.
                          Christopher Mallon
                          FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Ken's resignation only proven, which direction CFC is going. It is not going in the right direction. CFC is losing bright people. Also this summer CFC chased away few talented organizers away. Unfortunately CFC can't point fingers or force anyone this time either. It has no one to blame but itself for this one. :)

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
                            at least the rest were smart enough to keep their mouths
                            Unfortunately this is only your opinion. To see, that people who kept their mouths shut and remain in CFC office are smart enough, remains to be seen. So far I only seen bright individuals chased away from CFC organization. It is very sad to see this, but it is the reality.

Comment

Just to be clear, I have not resigned as NB Governor.

Comment

Working...
                              X