Chess Books To Use As Prizes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess Books To Use As Prizes...

I have been selling off my large collection of chess books/publications for 1.5 years now. (At 66, I wouldn't want to saddle my wife or son with the problem of dealing with the collection if anything happened to me!) I tried many libraries in Canada and all I could get was the probability that they would simply sell the collection. Alas, libraries simply do not have the space or time or money to handle what was a 5,500+ volume collection. (I still hold the Canadian part of the collection in case it might find its way to a library.)

There are many books I have no interest in listing on eBay because they would not sell or, at least, not for much. Many of these are older DOVERs in great condition, BUT, they are, of course, in descriptive notation. There are, of course, other books than DOVERs available. I can't tell you what is available until I make a search or simply choose some as I sell others.

If a recognized chess organizer asks, I will put him/her on the list for some as they become available.

Use e-mail address jkenmacdonald@primus.ca to get on the list. Other e-mail addresses of mine will not get recognized. I would need your postal address, of course, or if you are located in Toronto, you will have to come downtown to pick them up.

These are meant to be used as prizes and not to augment your personal collection.

Re: Chess Books To Use As Prizes...

Originally posted by J. Ken MacDonald View Post
    listing on eBay
    What is your UserID there?

Comment

Way back in High School, the chess club was organized by Zenon Syrnick, whom some chess oldtimers in Vancouver and Winnipeg will remember, and with fondness. It was an 8-12 highschool. He ran 4 tournaments a year, and for each tournament there was a book prize for the top 3, plus one for "top grade 8" and "top grade 9". ymmv. Each book had a cardboard bookplate (in the case of our school, a fancy one) showing what it was for. Some decades ago I gave away most of my chess books to the Dunbar Library. Most of them reached the stacks, but in all likelihood all have since been "discarded" or "deaccessioned". Anyway, I remember with pleasure Fine's "Ideas Behind the Chess Openings" and Nimzowitsch's "My System". I didn't get so much out of the Fine middlegame book, but that was my shortcoming, I'm sure.

Twenty years ago, I would have (well, did, actually) said that it was vital to have a Canadian Chess Library. Since then, technology has changed, and the CFC has tanked. Still, it would "be a nice thing". I nominate the Alberta Chess Association ....

I've found that postage is a killer in used book transactions. I think book prizes is a great use for the Dover classics, but wonder also if they wouldn't sell well on consignment between rounds of a tournament in the Centre of the Universe.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
        Way back in High School, the chess club was organized by Zenon Syrnick, whom some chess oldtimers in Vancouver and Winnipeg will remember, and with fondness. It was an 8-12 highschool. He ran 4 tournaments a year, and for each tournament there was a book prize for the top 3, plus one for "top grade 8" and "top grade 9". ymmv. Each book had a cardboard bookplate (in the case of our school, a fancy one) showing what it was for. Some decades ago I gave away most of my chess books to the Dunbar Library. Most of them reached the stacks, but in all likelihood all have since been "discarded" or "deaccessioned". Anyway, I remember with pleasure Fine's "Ideas Behind the Chess Openings" and Nimzowitsch's "My System". I didn't get so much out of the Fine middlegame book, but that was my shortcoming, I'm sure.

Twenty years ago, I would have (well, did, actually) said that it was vital to have a Canadian Chess Library. Since then, technology has changed, and the CFC has tanked. Still, it would "be a nice thing". I nominate the Alberta Chess Association ....

I've found that postage is a killer in used book transactions. I think book prizes is a great use for the Dover classics, but wonder also if they wouldn't sell well on consignment between rounds of a tournament in the Centre of the Universe.
        Glad you did not nominate us :).

The Chess'n Math Association has hundreds of old chess magazines that we will gladly give away. Anyone who purchases chess books on our site ( www.strategygames.ca ) will receive a chess magazine of our choice free of charge. A person who purchases an English book will receive a magazine in English...and a person who orders a French book gets a French mag. If you order a book for kids...you will receive a magazine for kids and vice versa.

This offer expires on Dec. 31 2011.

One magazine per book purchase and NOT per order :)

Larry

Comment

Larry I could use a few for the fund raisers we run at the Victoria Chess Club. Maybe put a couple in your suitcase when you come out for the Canadian Open.
          Paul Leblanc
          Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post

Thank you Jonathan. Both the Calgary and Edmonton Chess Clubs have quite extensive libraries and would definitely benefit from adding some good books to it. The same would be the case with clubs in some of the smaller cities.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Rekhson View Post
              Thank you Jonathan. Both the Calgary and Edmonton Chess Clubs have quite extensive libraries and would definitely benefit from adding some good books to it. The same would be the case with clubs in some of the smaller cities.
              Glad to hear that, Vlad. A National Chess Library would involve the maintenance of thousands of volumes and making them available. A drop-in public library might be too much of a responsibility even for a tightly-run chess club. I'd think that something modelled on the National Library of Canada (reserved-in-advance access, with materials also requested in advance) might hit the spot. This being the 21st Century, one would also have to think about remote access, i.e., the ability to scan pages, documents, books and make the files available over the Internet.

It is the ability and assurance to maintain that collection, as it grows--and make it available in perpetuity--that might induce chess book collectors to donate or bequeath chunks of their collections to a national chess library. Quite how one would establish that assurance (the CFC eventually was unable), ay, there's the rub.

Comment

What a good chess library collection needs is cash as well as books. I have visited the chess collection (3rd largest in the world) at the Victoria State Library, in Melbourne, Australia. As well as donating a large number of books, magazines, and other chess-related works, the donor supplied a sum of cash for the upkeep (helps pay for maintenance of the space the collection takes up in the library) and updating the collection. I believe it is invested, and the income used for the above. (there are also half a dozen chess tables, which can be used for study or "quiet play".) About half the collection is on display, and accessible to the public; other items are available upon request.

http://www.slv.vic.gov.au/our-collec...rt-games/chess

All about the donor (Magnus Victor Andersson) and the history of the collection (scroll down a few screens to read the chess-related part):

http://nishi.slv.vic.gov.au/latrobej...4/t1-g-t4.html

Comment

When I played chess in the sixties, the Ottawa RA chess club gave books as prizes and I treasured mine, especially one for coming ahead of a (very) young Lawrence Day. I gave my original collection (descriptive) to my son's alma mater but have since somehow managed to add another 500+ titles, this time in algebraic notation. Like Ken, I have been offering up book prizes for selected Ottawa RA chess club events and they have been well received. In the Ron Rodgers Memorial currently underway, for example, the winner gets a shiny trophy but the winner of the U1600 class gets "The Joys of Chess". I commend Ken for his generosity and hope his idea catches on.

Comment

I remember Dudley Ledain giving away book prizes to us juniors in Montreal in the late 1960's. It was first-come, first-served, and I was lucky enough to get "100 Selected Games" by Botvinnik in my first tournament.

The last book remaining was invariably Znosko-Borovsky's "How Not to Play Chess".

Comment

Chess Books To Use As Prizes...

Bump! Bump!

Originally posted by J. Ken MacDonald View Post
                      I have been selling off my large collection of chess books/publications for 1.5 years now. (At 66, I wouldn't want to saddle my wife or son with the problem of dealing with the collection if anything happened to me!) I tried many libraries in Canada and all I could get was the probability that they would simply sell the collection. Alas, libraries simply do not have the space or time or money to handle what was a 5,500+ volume collection. (I still hold the Canadian part of the collection in case it might find its way to a library.)

There are many books I have no interest in listing on eBay because they would not sell or, at least, not for much. Many of these are older DOVERs in great condition, BUT, they are, of course, in descriptive notation. There are, of course, other books than DOVERs available. I can't tell you what is available until I make a search or simply choose some as I sell others.

If a recognized chess organizer asks, I will put him/her on the list for some as they become available.

Use e-mail address jkenmacdonald@primus.ca to get on the list. Other e-mail addresses of mine will not get recognized. I would need your postal address, of course, or if you are located in Toronto, you will have to come downtown to pick them up.

These are meant to be used as prizes and not to augment your personal collection.

Comment

Working...
                      X