CFC National Master Titles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CFC National Master Titles

There is no charge for the NM certificate, only for certificates for the lower titles.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Can the CFC mail me the NM certificate; I was well over 2200 for a few years and over 2300 for a while; not sure what proof I would need to show this...

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Beckwith View Post
        Can the CFC mail me the NM certificate; I was well over 2200 for a few years and over 2300 for a while; not sure what proof I would need to show this...
        To request the NM or CNM title you contact Vlad Drkulec, for the class titles, the CFC office.

Chris Mallon is working on a program that will automate the verification process. We hope to have this ready by the end of the month.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
          ?? exactly how or when did I bad mouth you? What personal attack?

I didn't ever buy a $10 certificate for NM so no, I wouldn't buy a CM title certificate either. In fact, I wouldn't buy any certificate for any title up to and including world champion. Either you are what ever it is or you are not in my view. But that's just my feeling. I have no objection if someone else wants the piece of paper.

Nigel Short comes to mind as someone who thinks a GM title is not worth anything as has been published elsewhere. Feels pretty much the same way about GM titles as you do about NM titles as far as I can tell. I'm sure he's entitled to think of a mere 2500 GM as weak but the rest of us can still aspire to that level.

But the whole arguement about these levels being not a big deal on the world scene so therefore they should not be recognized is spurious. Pretty much every club championship, city championship, provincial championship or even national championship in Canada is meaningless on the world scale. Doesn't stop anybody from having those championships and giving out trophys etc. Likewise for rating class levels.
          Besides former world championship contenders and other 2700+ from other countries, who else would say that a GM title is weak? It's like semi-professional poker players in Canada who are able to make a good living and actual professionals who have their name as an advertising brand for pokerstars calling the semi-pros weak. You can't use such a wide difference in talent/skill level and compare how weak someone is. As far as I'm concerned, there's really no one in Canada or in the US besides a select few who can make fun of the GM title and since the CFC title system is supposed to represent only players in Canada, how can a proper argument be made using Nigel Short's feelings when he's obviously not from Canada. When comparing myself to the rest of the world, I consider myself as weak as well, but when lower level titles are held out so that everyone can have them, this devalues the fact that only a select few should be able to attain titles.
          Shameless self-promotion on display here
          http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Beckwith View Post
            You qualify under the new system and clearly qualified in 1996 under the old system. I don't have access to the data before 1996 but suspect that you qualified before that. I will send your name along to the CFC office and ask them to send you an NM certificate.

Congratulations!

Comment

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
              Besides former world championship contenders and other 2700+ from other countries, who else would say that a GM title is weak?
              Kasparov referred to some grandmasters in the 2680 range as tourists. Akopian struck back by defeating Kasparov shortly after he made the comment. Akopian probably played the lyrics from One Night In Bangkok in his head during the game.

"Get Thai'd! You're talking to a tourist
              Whose every move's among the purest
              I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine

Comment

Thanks Vlad; looking forward to getting my NM certificate from the CFC...

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                  Kasparov referred to some grandmasters in the 2680 range as tourists. Akopian struck back by defeating Kasparov shortly after he made the comment. Akopian probably played the lyrics from One Night In Bangkok in his head during the game.

"Get Thai'd! You're talking to a tourist
                  Whose every move's among the purest
                  I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine
                  I wonder what Kasparov will think now of Canadian National Master titles. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
                    but when lower level titles are held out so that everyone can have them, this devalues the fact that only a select few should be able to attain titles.
                    Do you say that GMs are offended by existence of Candidate Masters (FIDE analogy)?

Comment

Continue as long as the hand like candy for the 1300 FIDE rated children FM title, it makes things less clear. We just need to keep themselves as FM's "real" and what rights experts opened the box track.
                      Wedding Cufflinks

Comment

SPAMMERs

Originally posted by shenglu View Post
                        Continue as long as the hand like candy for the 1300 FIDE rated children FM title, it makes things less clear. We just need to keep themselves as FM's "real" and what rights experts opened the box track.
                        Can anyone explain how this continues?

Is it poor vetting or poor security or ????

Comment

Re: SPAMMERs

It's one of the more clever ones I've ever seen actually. I've seen one better, but it was on a baseball site which is a bit easier maybe.
                          Christopher Mallon
                          FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Working...
                          X