What is the ACO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the ACO?

I just got an email from the "amateur chess organization." Apparently they're launching their own World Championship and their own WYCC.

www.amateurchess.com
    Marcus Wilker
    Annex Chess Club
    Toronto, Ontario

Re: What is the ACO?

There was a thread about this organization on Chesstalk back in February:

http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/showthread.php?t=4581

Comment

Re : What is the ACO?

It's a scam...

Comment

Re: Re : What is the ACO?

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
        It's a scam...
        And you know this, how? Do you have any references for that? (please)
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Re : What is the ACO?

We can see it just be looking at the organization and the emails they send to nearly all the organizers in Canada....
          Hugh Brodie also made some research about it :
          Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
          A Google search on his name (Lothar Hirneise) shows many links to his "alternative" cancer cures (he's not an MD). I think he's the same guy, since a cancer-related bio and the FIDE site both give his year of birth as being 1961.
          It would also be quite unlikely that they would organize such tournaments without any sponsor or help from any country.

Comment

Susan Polgar interviews Lothar Hirneise (a few days ago):

http://susanpolgar.blogspot.com/2011...anization.html

No comments anywhere as to its legitimacy. (have sites actually been booked and paid for in Dubai and Paris Disneyland?)

Comment

Hi: I found this thread on the English Chess Forum

http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2837

Wilf Ferner

Comment

Re : Re: What is the ACO?

No comments anywhere as to its legitimacy. (have sites actually been booked and paid for in Dubai and Paris Disneyland?)
                According to the ACO website, this organization is run by grandmaster Falko Bindrich (2548) and international master Tobias Hirneise (2446).

Comment

I'm bumping this thread since ACO's spam now has reached active members of the Swedish Chess Federaton. The emails advertise the ACO Amateur Chess Championship and the ACO World Youth Chess Championship. While the concept does seem intriguing their method of sending spam containing shameless self promotion tells me this organization should not be trusted. Also, Lothar Hirneise does seem shady.

Susan Polgar posted an interview with charlatan and Gothic Chess "inventor" Ed Trice a few years ago, also shaped much like an ad. I can't tell if Susan Polgar is being paid for these interviews or if she's just imprudent by nature.

Edit: Being "run" by low rated GMs is another warning sign as their names could be used to give an impression of legitimacy. Remember that many GMs have troubles living of their chess career and thus could be persuaded with the promise of easy money. Their mailings boasts of "26 partners and contributors from 18 countries". All you have to do to become a partner or contributor is to fill out a simple online application form.

Anyone knows if Falko Bindrich or Tobias Hirneise have organized other tournaments of similar scope before?
                  Last edited by Erik Nilsson; Thursday, 8th December, 2011, 06:17 PM. Reason: wrote that Hugh Brodie seemed shady, it was supposed to be Lothar Hirneise

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Nilsson View Post
                    Also, Hugh Brodie does seem shady.
                    What is the meaning of this remark? Hugh posted some very valuable information related to the ACO, did he not?
                    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                      What is the meaning of this remark? Hugh posted some very valuable information related to the ACO, did he not?
                      Sorry, I meant Lothar Hirneise, copied the wrong name ;-P

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                        Now, now, don't get all ticked off at Erik. After all, Hugh COULD be shady if it was a sunny day and he bent over from the waist and someone sat on the ground underneath Hugh's torso. :):)

p.s. I love chesstalk!!
                        "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                        "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                        "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
                          Now, now, don't get all ticked off at Erik. After all, Hugh COULD be shady if it was a sunny day and he bent over from the waist and someone sat on the ground underneath Hugh's torso. :):)

p.s. I love chesstalk!!
                          So now Hugh is Slim Shady and Ed Trice is OB Trice? The latter played a Chatham watering hole before he got shot non-fatally.

Comment

Working...
                          X