Toronto bids for 2016 Chess Olympics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toronto bids for 2016 Chess Olympics

According to Hal and Kevin. There's an open thread on the CFC forum, but the subject is big enough to support two threads.

Re: Toronto bids for 2016 Chess Olympics

http://annexchessclub.com/2011/10/20...hess-olympiad/

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
      According to Hal and Kevin. There's an open thread on the CFC forum, but the subject is big enough to support two threads.
      It first appeared on Chesstalk on Oct 20....

http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/showthread.php?t=5787

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
        It first appeared on Chesstalk on Oct 20....

http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/showthread.php?t=5787
        Thanks, Larry. Sorry I missed that. After four days and thirteen dare I say innocuous comments, board discussion passed back to subjects that chess players really know a lot about, such as ecology and economics.

The $? million is the obvious hurdle, but I wonder if the world is confident that we've moved forward from the Dziekański tragedy. Oops, that Wiki link seems to be moribund. Here's a link with more up-to-date info. Not that there's much happening. It's all set to just fade away.

The closest Canada has come to a chess event of this size is the World Chess Festival, Saint John 1988. If Toronto can get even a quarter of the per capita volunteerism that Saint John did--but is Rob Ford so inspiring a leader as Elsie Wayne was?

Comment

Thanks, Larry. Sorry I missed that. After four days and thirteen dare I say innocuous comments, board discussion passed back to subjects that chess players really know a lot about, such as ecology and economics.

The $? million is the obvious hurdle, but I wonder if the world is confident that we've moved forward from the Dziekański tragedy. Oops, that Wiki link seems to be moribund. Here's a link with more up-to-date info. Not that there's much happening. It's all set to just fade away.

The closest Canada has come to a chess event of this size is the World Chess Festival, Saint John 1988. If Toronto can get even a quarter of the per capita volunteerism that Saint John did--but is Rob Ford so inspiring a leader as Elsie Wayne was?
          I thought Rob Ford was Elsie Wayne...
          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
            I thought Rob Ford was Elsie Wayne...
            minus the inspiration?

Comment

minus the inspiration?
              Do you really think that Canada will end up with the chess Olympiad?
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                Do you really think that Canada will end up with the chess Olympiad?
                If you don't think you'll get out of bed in the morning, there's a good chance you'll still be in your housecoat at 4 pm. So, short answer, yes. Slightly longer answer, could. Even longer answer: Toronto. Not going to get much bigger with a one word answer: catalyst.
                Last edited by Jonathan Berry; Sunday, 30th October, 2011, 09:53 AM.

Comment

If you don't think you'll get out of bed in the morning, there's a good chance you'll still be in your housecoat at 4 pm. So, short answer, yes. Slightly longer answer, could. Even longer answer: Toronto. Not going to get much bigger with a one word answer: catalyst.
                  I've got 20 bucks which says Toronto won't get the chess Olympiad in 2016. Will you take the other side of the wager?
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Not going to get much bigger with a one word answer...
                    Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

Comment

I've got 20 bucks which says Toronto won't get the chess Olympiad in 2016. Will you take the other side of the wager?
                      Hi Gary,

I love a good bet...this is what I propose.

If Toronto puts their bid in with FIDE including the required deposit in 2012...then the 2016 Olympiad will be awarded to Toronto. In otherwords, FIDE would gladly approve a bonified bid from Canada for this event...will you take the otherside of that wager...in otherwords are you prepared to say (and wager) that FIDE will reject a bonafide (meaning the deposit is paid to FIDE, etc) bid from Canada in 2012 for the 2016 Chess Olympiad?

Larry

Comment

If Toronto puts their bid in with FIDE including the required deposit in 2012...then the 2016 Olympiad will be awarded to Toronto.
                        At this moment we are starting even. You want to hedge your position so you have the knowledge they have the deposit and a clearer view of the possibility of other bids.

There may not be other bids so I'd likely lose a bet made now in that case.

I can understand you might not want to bet on the bid at this point, and I wouldn't either, but that is the wager I offered. It's not like 20 dollars ia a lot of money. :)
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

At this moment we are starting even. You want to hedge your position so you have the knowledge they have the deposit and a clearer view of the possibility of other bids.

There may not be other bids so I'd likely lose a bet made now in that case.

I can understand you might not want to bet on the bid at this point, and I wouldn't either, but that is the wager I offered. It's not like 20 dollars ia a lot of money. :)
                          Hi Gary,

It has nothing to do with the $20...both of us know that :).

Actually the point I was trying to make was that the stumbling block is local and not FIDE.

I spoke with Campo about hosting the 2008 World Youth...he was ecstatic...but then I had sticks put in my wheels by our friends at the CFC (the Prez (Halldor) said yes...we had the site...seed money (more than the current bid for the Olympiad) etc...and then the FIDE fellow at that time (Maurice Smith) got in the way...so we walked away.

Maurice is a good person...but when it comes to the CMA...we are the satan of Canadian chess :).

He feels (from what I can see), the demise of the CFC over the last 2 decades...is due to us.

In this case...the 2016 Olympiad, the organizers and the CFC are on the same page. Until the next executive maybe :).

So the Toronto organizers have the CFC executive onboard (mind you...it changes every year LOL).

Great!

They have local interest.

Great!

They have some bright and well connected individuals on their team.

Great!

Is it a big project.

Absolutely!

Can they do it?

If anybody can...they can!

Will the problem be with FIDE?

NOT IN THE LEAST!!

The problem will be to secure the financing....Once that is done...putting together a winning team, I think is something the main players in this group have lots of experience.

Larry

Comment

Hi Larry,

Being able to pull it all off is the bet.

I'm offering the wager based on what we don't know. At a later date I might want to make a different wager on what we do know but that's then and this is now.

It's kind of like betting on a hockey game. The wagers are made before the game starts and not after the first period. :)

Gary
                            Gary Ruben
                            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Actually the point I was trying to make was that the stumbling block is local and not FIDE.
                              Do not underestimate FIDE's capability to derail the best laid out plans. These days they like things to happen in Russia or nearby.

Comment

Working...
                              X