Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toronto bids for 2016 Chess Olympics

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
    If (I)) was FIDE's man to Canada we would have lost our Zone in 2009.
    I'll grant you that : it is no mean feat to keep a 50 year-old status quo going. I wonder how you did it.
    On the other hand I cannot imagine any country who would want Canada in with them, unless eager for six or seven day 9 round zonal championships.
    You say that you cannot see anything wrong with FIDE ? That unfortunately tells more about you then about FIDE. For more reliable information, I will stick to more objective sources and my own judgment.

Comment

No news on this subject in the last few weeks - any progress, or should we assume the the subject is dead?

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
        No news on this subject in the last few weeks - any progress, or should we assume the the subject is dead?
        It's pining for the fjords.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
          It's pining for the fjords.
          Seems the proposal has no legs anymore

"It's just a flesh wound" - The Black Knight

Comment

I'm not quite dead yet-- I'm feeling much better today.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
              Of course, I feel sheepish about the previous flippant answer. Baaah.

The website at tromso2014.no has dot no news items for 14 months, even though they have the 2014 Chess Olympiad, plus the 70 million krone (worth 8.8 million Euro when the release came out, 9.1 million today) voted by the Norwegian parliament. So I wouldn't be worrying about a few weeks of silence from Toronto.

It's not rocket science to see that if Toronto wants the athletic Olympics, it needs to show that it can handle a show. Chess isn't quite soccer, but the Chess Olympics is a big show. Here's the opportunity to test their systems with an event whose total cost will be just a fraction of the security expenses alone for an eventual Toronto athletic Olympic Games.

For reasons that have been discussed elsewhere, no chessy endeavour is likely to get mainstream Federal funding. I doubt that either the Ontario or the metro Toronto governments would be likely to risk a large expenditure in that direction. By risk is meant political, voter risk. It's never an investment risk if it isn't meant to recover the money directly. Private donations are an uphill struggle with the CFC's surrender of its charitable status. So I'm guessing that an unusually large proportion of the funding would have to come from companies, corporate sponsors.

Historically, Canadian companies and even government agencies have used chess in advertising campaigns. But two CFC Presidents have also been senior players in banks--and nothing came of it, either time. It never has been necessary to sponsor a chess event in order to associate a product with chess. Chess would go against current trends of fuzzy good feeling in bank ads, but you never know. Trends change because the old trends got old.

The fjords closest to Toronto are not Norway, but British Columbia. Edit: an ever-helpful reader has pointed out off-forum that Saguenay is the fjord closest to Toronto. As the glacial ice slowly melts, I stand corrected.

That's my point of view, as an outsider.
              Last edited by Jonathan Berry; Saturday, 11th February, 2012, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
                It's not rocket science to see that if Toronto wants the athletic Olympics, it needs to show that it can handle a show. Chess isn't quite soccer, but the Chess Olympics is a big show. Here's the opportunity to test their systems with an event whose total cost will be just a fraction of the security expenses alone for an eventual Toronto athletic Olympic Games.
                Toronto will host Pan-Am games in 2015 (one year early than 2016 Olympiad).
                http://www.toronto2015.org

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                  Toronto will host Pan-Am games in 2015 (one year early than 2016 Olympiad).
                  http://www.toronto2015.org
                  True. The Americas comprise less than half of the world, especially in number of languages. Maybe they will want to exercise a broader deployment. At least it shows they are thinking the same way, that they will need to test (after they get approval) or show off (before that vote!) their systems.

Comment

Working...
                  X