Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toronto bids for 2016 Chess Olympics

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
    Do not underestimate FIDE's capability to derail the best laid out plans. These days they like things to happen in Russia or nearby.
    Hi Jean,

I always thought Russia was the fall back card if things didn't go as planned.

In Canada, Ottawa use to be the fall back card...and Toronto has played this role also...these days it seems to be Hal Bond.

For the CMA, we want the Canadian Chess Challenge to travel across the country and we encourage this.

However, if the host city or province can not come up with the necessary funds...we take the event to a city where we have a solid anchor...Montreal, Toronto and Ottawa.

Larry

Comment

FIDE will certainly not derail anything about the Canadian bid. Russia is not getting any preferential treatment regarding bids. Lately their successful bids have either been the best or the only. I think Larry has it pretty much worked out!

The deadline for submitting bids to FIDE is May 31, 2012. If there is more than one bid, some campaigning is likely to preceed the vote at the Instanbul Olympiad by the General Assembly.

If the Toronto project has secured enough funding by May 31 it will be an official bidder. Toronto is the sentimental favourite at the moment - the Olympiad has never been in North America.

Norway's 2014 Olympiad budget exceeds $20 million. Toronto's will likely be in the same range.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
        At this moment we are starting even. You want to hedge your position so you have the knowledge they have the deposit and a clearer view of the possibility of other bids.

There may not be other bids so I'd likely lose a bet made now in that case.

I can understand you might not want to bet on the bid at this point, and I wouldn't either, but that is the wager I offered. It's not like 20 dollars ia a lot of money. :)
        Yes, I completely agree with you!

I will put my $20.00 as well, based on what we do not know.

When people don't expect something to go wrong, something will definitely will go wrong!

People should not count chickens before they hatch, otherwise they might be disappointed. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
          FIDE will certainly not derail anything about the Canadian bid. Russia is not getting any preferential treatment regarding bids. Lately their successful bids have either been the best or the only. I think Larry has it pretty much worked out!

The deadline for submitting bids to FIDE is May 31, 2012. If there is more than one bid, some campaigning is likely to preceed the vote at the Instanbul Olympiad by the General Assembly.

If the Toronto project has secured enough funding by May 31 it will be an official bidder. Toronto is the sentimental favourite at the moment - the Olympiad has never been in North America.

Norway's 2014 Olympiad budget exceeds $20 million. Toronto's will likely be in the same range.
          Hal: How much of a deposit has to be ready for May 31 ? I assume a bid with deposit would only be made, if the bid team thinks the funding will be in place in time for the event itself.

Comment

The deposit required for an Olympiad bid is 10,000 euros.

http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.ht...&view=category

(note that the deposit for the WYCC is 30,000 euros!)

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
              Hal: How much of a deposit has to be ready for May 31 ? I assume a bid with deposit would only be made, if the bid team thinks the funding will be in place in time for the event itself.
              Financial matters for Olympiad are at FIDE.com in 15 and 16 clauses http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.ht...&view=category
              The first deposit is 10kE.

Comment

I offered a small $20. wager to two people here whom I considered plugged into the chess scene. Couldn't get either one to even cover that token sum on the event happening in Canada in 2016.

If you run into problems coming up with the 20 million, maybe try to hit Greece up for a loan.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                  Hi Jean,

I always thought Russia was the fall back card if things didn't go as planned.
                  Is that really what you think ? This coming from Hal would not be surprising since he is hooked with FIDE up to his ears and cannot see what is right or what is wrong anymore, but coming from you it leaves me wondering.

Comment

Hosting the Olympiad in Canada, although it may seem like a long shot, would only do good things for chess here. Who knows, maybe some top players would decide they like Canada and decide to stay! And for sure it would stimulate new interest and create some new lifetime devotees to chess.

As for making $20 bets against it happening - that seems kind of ghoulish, like betting when someone will die. Halloween is over, let's think positive!
                    For their courage, the organizing team deserves all our support. Good luck to them, let's hope it happens!

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
                      As for making $20 bets against it happening - that seems kind of ghoulish, like betting when someone will die. Halloween is over, let's think positive!
                      For their courage, the organizing team deserves all our support. Good luck to them, let's hope it happens!
                      I think your analogy is a bit strong. It's more to do with the member nations involved and the chance of them voting for Canada to receive the event in a competive environment where European, Asian and African nations are involved in bidding. At this point we don't know who will bid and I've been specific the wager is time limited.

Ghoulish was that Olympic bid where the Toronto mayor was joking about being boiled in a pot of hot water.

See the difference?
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Why the insults Jean? If you know more about the current state of play between FIDE prospective bidders please enlighten us!!

Comment

If you know more about the current state of play between FIDE prospective bidders please enlighten us!!
                          By us I assume you mean you and CFC. I am pretty sure, that he would be more than willing to enlighten you guys. If only those, who wanted to be enlightened and serious enough, would listen without sarcasm and make jokes about it after!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mikhail Egorov View Post
                            By us I assume you mean you and CFC. I am pretty sure, that he would be more than willing to enlighten you guys. If only those, who wanted to be enlightened and serious enough, would listen without sarcasm and make jokes about it after!!!
                            I think Hal meant "all the readers of Chesstalk" since he posted the reply here. It is *far* too easy to get into a "flame war" on online forums - partly because no one is within arms reach to retaliate physically, but also because posts on an online forum can easily be misinterpreted - whether they are carefully constructed or not.

For example, I interpreted your response above as simply a subtle continuation of your war of words with Bob Gillanders and the CFC in general... most likely that isn't what you intended, was it?

Once a thread starts going downhill, it becomes completely pointless and any original value is pretty much gone.
                            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                              For example, I interpreted your response above as simply a subtle continuation of your war of words with Bob Gillanders and the CFC in general... most likely that isn't what you intended, was it?
                              I think I did not I mentioned Gillanders name. In case missed it, please point it out to me!

How people interpret or misinterpret statement, that I have no control over. :D

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                              Once a thread starts going downhill, it becomes completely pointless and any original value is pretty much gone.
                              Looks like it starting to go downhill right now.

Comment

So Kerry, did I misinterpret Jean? After his comments about me, FIDE and right vs wrong I thought he a least owed the readers some evidence in support of his arguments about Russia's preferred status as a host of FIDE events.

Comment

Working...
                                X