Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wycc 2011

Originally posted by Denton Cockburn View Post
    As Jesse pointed out, WYCC is not about winning medals. I think it's about giving these kids chess memories that they'll have for years to come.
    I have played chess game for quite a long time now, and believe me, by far the best chess memories one can have is associated with winning. The worst ones come from doing poorly. In fact, bad results can be devastating and quite hard to get over.
    If we want kids to get good chess memories, we need to help them reach their full potential and get successes, not pretend that winning is not important.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Rouleau View Post
      They qualified (or were allowed to participate) according to the rules set forth by the CFC and thus, I see absolutely no problem in them participating on a world's stage.
      CFC Executives should feel ashamed.

CFC office is still a mess and all Executives do is give each support on how they stopping little kids from achieving their dream.

In this case they gained up on a little girl!

CFC should feel proud of this accomplishments in this case, it definitely tried very hard and achieved it's goal!

Like they have nothing better to do with their time, while CFC office is still a mess.

You can hate it, but the truth is: CFC Executives have no shame.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikhail Egorov View Post
        Since now you are getting involved, maybe we can see yourself and Mark getting involved as well???
        Level of this sentence is appropriate for kindergarden boy. Even grade 3 or 4 student supposes to write more logical sentences. But OK, let's try to understand what did you want to say...

1. No, I don't want to be involved. I am just a chessplayer and a father of chessplayer (s). I don't want to be a chess politician.

2. How do you see Mark "getting involved"? Pretty funny.

3. If you really want to know my personal opinion... Try to make the story short... Both sides made a lot of mistakes... Situation is pretty unclear... If I were CFC executive I would've allowed this girl (I have no permission to use her name) to play at WYCC-2011. Here we have a conflict between person (Mrs. Anna) and organization (CFC). In this type of conflict usually person is wright (unless it's 100 % clear that person is wrong, but it's not the case here).

4. You lost the battle. This girl can go to Brazil, but WYCC-2011 is over... What do you want to acheive now? You posted here almost 200 times (mostly about this issue, I don't remember you posting a lot before this story). You switched almost every possible thread to discussion about this case.
        You lost a lot of respect from many normal persons. (May be you gained some respect from others, but you lost much more).
        Your personal attacks against Mr. Gillanders, Mr. Barron, Mr. Birarov (what exactly he did wrong?) are very ugly.

5. 200 posts with average speed of 5 posts/hour = 40 hours... A lot of time. For sure you could spent this time much more productive.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
          1. No, I don't want to be involved. I am just a chessplayer and a father of chessplayer (s). I don't want to be a chess politician.

2. How do you see Mark "getting involved"? Pretty funny.

3. If you really want to know my personal opinion... Try to make the story short... Both sides made a lot of mistakes... Situation is pretty unclear... If I were CFC executive I would've allowed this girl (I have no permission to use her name) to play at WYCC-2011. Here we have a conflict between person (Mrs. Anna) and organization (CFC). In this type of conflict usually person is wright (unless it's 100 % clear that person is wrong, but it's not the case here).

4. You lost the battle. This girl can go to Brazil, but WYCC-2011 is over... What do you want to acheive now? You posted here almost 200 times (mostly about this issue, I don't remember you posting a lot before this story). You switched almost every possible thread to discussion about this case.
          You lost a lot of respect from many normal persons. (May be you gained some respect from others, but you lost much more).
          Your personal attacks against Mr. Gillanders, Mr. Barron, Mr. Birarov (what exactly he did wrong?) are very ugly.

5. 200 posts with average speed of 5 posts/hour = 40 hours... A lot of time. For sure you could spent this time much more productive.
          Your thoughts are pretty funny. Thanks for a laugh. :D

Level of this sentence is appropriate for kindergarden boy. Even grade 3 or 4 student supposes to write more logical sentences. But OK, let's try to understand what did you want to say...
          I did not know you teach English now as well. In any case I will pass. If I need professional advice in English grammar your will be the last person I ask and seek professional advice instead.

You lost a lot of respect from many normal persons.
          If you mean yourself, Mr. Barron, Mr. Gillanders and Mr. Birrarov? In this case I will pass.

I would suggest, instead of trying to understand my posts (which is not very difficult), you should try to concentrate on teaching your son to play better chess.
          Last edited by Mikhail Egorov; Wednesday, 30th November, 2011, 10:33 PM.

Comment

3. If you really want to know my personal opinion... Try to make the story short... Both sides made a lot of mistakes... Situation is pretty unclear... If I were CFC executive I would've allowed this girl (I have no permission to use her name) to play at WYCC-2011. Here we have a conflict between person (Mrs. Anna) and organization (CFC). In this type of conflict usually person is wright (unless it's 100 % clear that person is wrong, but it's not the case here). .
            I am really confused, what you trying to say by "usually person is wright".

Level of this sentence here is appropriate for kindergarten boy here. Even my student Dora writes more logical sentence than this!

Before teaching other people English, you should master it first yourself.
            Last edited by Mikhail Egorov; Wednesday, 30th November, 2011, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Mr Egorov:

This is really getting quite ridiculous. You don't know me, and I don't know you, so I can only comment on what I read on here.

You and Ms Jin helped to run a highly succesfull cycc event this year. Good for you, except as many have commented it was, as ever, a rip-off for those parents that see their beloved children as the be-all and end-all of Canadian chess, if not the world. There is nothing new here. It has been happening for years, as the CFC used the cash cow to subsidize the adult events.

However, as you and your friends staged your rebellion against the CFC, it was strongly implied that the CFC stepped in when they discovered you were planning to use the disputed cycc profits to line youe own pockets. If I am wrong, the I apologize in advance, but I think you need to get your ducks in order before replying.

While the CFC handling of this situation is not very good, it seems they did indeed get a strong support from governors to uphold the rules in place at the time, and that's it! And Ms Jin got voted out at the annual meeting, which is perhaps a low blow.

So two very simple questions to you....

Did you try to use the cycc profits to pay the organizers of the event?

Who paid for your trip to Brazil?

Time to get over ourselves...the kids deserve far better.
              Fred Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by fred harvey View Post
                Mr Egorov:

This is really getting quite ridiculous. You don't know me, and I don't know you, so I can only comment on what I read on here.

You and Ms Jin helped to run a highly succesfull cycc event this year. Good for you, except as many have commented it was, as ever, a rip-off for those parents that see their beloved children as the be-all and end-all of Canadian chess, if not the world. There is nothing new here. It has been happening for years, as the CFC used the cash cow to subsidize the adult events.

However, as you and your friends staged your rebellion against the CFC, it was strongly implied that the CFC stepped in when they discovered you were planning to use the disputed cycc profits to line youe own pockets. If I am wrong, the I apologize in advance, but I think you need to get your ducks in order before replying.

While the CFC handling of this situation is not very good, it seems they did indeed get a strong support from governors to uphold the rules in place at the time, and that's it! And Ms Jin got voted out at the annual meeting, which is perhaps a low blow.

So two very simple questions to you....

Did you try to use the cycc profits to pay the organizers of the event?

Time to get over ourselves...the kids deserve far better.
                Very ridiculous
                1/who run sucessfull CYCC and gave big fund ever since CYCC happened to CFC got voted out at the annual meeting, that is the answer you want to find out?
                2/ Who ask Mr.Mikhail to be a coach for WYCC team without salary? Who really use CYCC Fund you should ask CFC, not Mr.Mikhail and me!!!
                3/ The player who won Medal in WYCC ( Only medal this year) have not receive any support from CFC so far!
                What are you talking about? Do you see all the pictures ever since?

Comment

I would suggest, instead of trying to understand my posts (which is not very difficult), you should try to concentrate on teaching your son to play better chess.
                  I believe I already know what will be the next step in our conflict. I'll call you an idiot, you'll write the same about me (may be you'll use other word with the same meaning, doesn't matter). Mrs. Anna and some "scandal lovers" will be very happy.

I want to avoid this scenario. It's all about chess, wright? So I offer you to play friendly chess match against me or my son (since you think I don't pay enough attention to his chess progress).

1. 16 games match, 3 + 2sec/game.
                  2. Not very expensive, let say 10000 CAD (if you want more, it's OK).
                  3. You can choose your opponent (me or Mark).
                  4. If you play me you must collect more than 25% (4 points) to win the match. I must collect more than 75% (12 points) to win. 12-4 it's a draw.
                  5. If you play Mark you must collect more than 10 points (62.5%) to win the match. 10-6 it's a draw.
                  6. Looser not only pays the bet (no postdated checks, cash only), but also publicly apologizes and can't post on chesstalk (and CFC fotum) till end of next year (Dec 31, 2012).
                  7. If I win the bet I promise to donate at least 25% of the profit to CFC Youth Fund.
                  8. I believe the numbers are OK for you. You are 2000+ FIDE-rated player, I am 2200+, Mark is 1800+.

If you don't accept this proposal and continue posting here against me or Mark you are just CHICKEN.

Comment

Last edited by Ben Daswani; Wednesday, 30th January, 2013, 12:33 AM.
                    everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

I believe I already know what will be the next step in our conflict. I'll call you an idiot, you'll write the same about me (may be you'll use other word with the same meaning, doesn't matter). Mrs. Anna and some "scandal lovers" will be very happy.

I want to avoid this scenario. It's all about chess, wright? So I offer you to play friendly chess match against me or my son (since you think I don't pay enough attention to his chess progress).

1. 16 games match, 3 + 2sec/game.
                      2. Not very expensive, let say 10000 CAD (if you want more, it's OK).
                      3. You can choose your opponent (me or Mark).
                      4. If you play me you must collect more than 25% (4 points) to win the match. I must collect more than 75% (12 points) to win. 12-4 it's a draw.
                      5. If you play Mark you must collect more than 10 points (62.5%) to win the match. 10-6 it's a draw.
                      6. Looser not only pays the bet (no postdated checks, cash only), but also publicly apologizes and can't post on chesstalk (and CFC fotum) till end of next year (Dec 31, 2012).
                      7. If I win the bet I promise to donate at least 25% of the profit to CFC Youth Fund.
                      8. I believe the numbers are OK for you. You are 2000+ FIDE-rated player, I am 2200+, Mark is 1800+.

If you don't accept this proposal and continue posting here against me or Mark you are just CHICKEN.
                      I will not write same thing about you Mr. Plotkin, because I will sink as low as you sir.

I will say this:
                      I will let my students do all the talking.
                      Idiots like me teach At the time when Mark was 1700, one of my students were 1300s and 1100s. One of my students was 1100s exactly one year ago,
                      and now his is 1750 (he is only 10). That is a gain 650 points in one year, assuming you do math correctly. One of my other students is 2200, at the time when he started he was 1380. That was 2 years ago. Your son according to CFC records was at that time was: 1629. So he gained in that time: 360 points. My student gained around 950 points and top U12 in the country. Case closed.

Not bad for an idiot, don't you think? :D

Conclusion: Either you are a bad teacher, or I am much better.

Good luck with coaching your son!

I did have to you, but not you lost it all. You like to throw empty words without backing them up. I didn't expect you would sink this low.

Comment

Originally posted by fred harvey View Post
                        Mr. Jin Diaxin paid for it! She organized the most succesfull CYCC in history of Canadian Chess, and it came directly from her funds. :D
                        Last edited by Mikhail Egorov; Thursday, 1st December, 2011, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Mr. Jin Diaxin paid for it! She organized the most succesfull CYCC in history of Canadian Chess, and it came directly from her funds. :D
                          The three coaches Canada had at the WYCC were paid out of the money directly paid to the CFC by the 2011 CYCC as per the regulations in place.

Selection of the coaches (and conditions) were made by Patrick McDonald in consulatation with the Executive.

As has been widely told, due in large part to the hard work of the organizing committee, the event had a large surplus, which went to players finishing in the top 3 in each section. Those actually going to Brazil received a much larger portion of this than those not going.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                            I have played chess game for quite a long time now, and believe me, by far the best chess memories one can have is associated with winning. The worst ones come from doing poorly. In fact, bad results can be devastating and quite hard to get over.
                            If we want kids to get good chess memories, we need to help them reach their full potential and get successes, not pretend that winning is not important.
                            No one is saying that winning isn't important. All the kids that my city sent forward won some games (our lowest score was 3.5). Not saying that's a great result, but it was still above the expected result :)

Let's take your same point to a higher level though, that being world-class chess. Let's consider the top 10 to be the medal positions (it certainly is the money position). Should grandmasters who can't make it into the top 10 feel disappointed? Should their federations feel disappointed? Chess isn't a game where everyone has the "same" shot at a medal or accomplishment.

I want our kids to get much, much stronger, but I will never be disappointed that they did better than their chess rating suggested they would, especially when they are already out of their element (foreign country, big tournament, water park outside).

Taking the discussion somewhere else:

We have to acknowledge that Canada is not a big chess country. Our federation has less than 2000 members. Most of our kids don't have access to high rated players. Most don't have access to resources such as coaches, or even many chess books. In Windsor our kids have been "fortunate" to have a few 2000+ rated players who are willing to spend time helping them. To be honest, that is insufficient for producing world-class talent. It is the reality that they face though, so I'm going to face reality as well and accept that for our group, having one of our 1200s beating a 1500 FIDE player was really sweet! :) (see, I'm celebrating winning!)

Denton

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
                              The three coaches Canada had at the WYCC were paid out of the money directly paid to the CFC by the 2011 CYCC as per the regulations in place. .
                              CFC received the money from Chief Jin Diaxin, who happens to organize the most successful CYCC ever!

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
                              As has been widely told, due in large part to the hard work of the organizing committee, the event had a large surplus
                              It had a large surplus thank to Chief CYCC organizer Jin Diaxin.

Comment

Originally posted by Jin Daxin View Post
                                Very ridiculous
                                1/who run sucessfull CYCC and gave big fund ever since CYCC happened to CFC got voted out at the annual meeting, that is the answer you want to find out?
                                2/ Who ask Mr.Mikhail to be a coach for WYCC team without salary? Who really use CYCC Fund you should ask CFC, not Mr.Mikhail and me!!!
                                3/ The player who won Medal in WYCC ( Only medal this year) have not receive any support from CFC so far!
                                What are you talking about? Do you see all the pictures ever since?
                                All very valid points and it’s the truth. I completely agree with you. Thank you Jin!

Comment

Working...
                                X