Recently Rated Junior Events

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recently Rated Junior Events

A couple of events held on 27 November (held in Ontario) caught my attention and I'm looking for someone who might be able to independently verify that the minimum Game in 60 time control was enforced.

The "UCC Juniors", TD given as Pelts, participants Seeman, Borschel, Kassam, Benayon, Chow (all unrated), 4 games in one day.

The "Chess Academy Section C", TD given as Putic, participants Li, Li, Hsing, Hsing, Manitin (avg rating 450) 4 games in one day.

The organizers submitted the events for Regular rating but I am a little skeptical.

Paul Leblanc
    Rating Auditor
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Re: Recently Rated Junior Events

Originally posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
    A couple of events held on 27 November (held in Ontario) caught my attention and I'm looking for someone who might be able to independently verify that the minimum Game in 60 time control was enforced.

The "UCC Juniors", TD given as Pelts, participants Seeman, Borschel, Kassam, Benayon, Chow (all unrated), 4 games in one day.

The "Chess Academy Section C", TD given as Putic, participants Li, Li, Hsing, Hsing, Manitin (avg rating 450) 4 games in one day.

The organizers submitted the events for Regular rating but I am a little skeptical.

Paul Leblanc
    Rating Auditor
    Umm Paul...really..why is that I wonder? :)

Larry

Comment

Paul Leblanc
      Rating Auditor
      Didn't it use to be 30 minutes for regular rating in a junior only event?

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Rekhson View Post
        Didn't it use to be 30 minutes for regular rating in a junior only event?
        Originally, but now the time control has to match the proper Regular/Active regulations.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
          Originally, but now the time control has to match the proper Regular/Active regulations.
          Oh I see. That's too bad that it was changed then.

Comment

A previous practice to allow 30 minute games to be Regular rated was removed from the CFC Handbook by a motion in Governors' Letter 9 of 2005/2006. Moved by Chris Mallon and seconded by Patrick MacDonald. Votes Yes (13) Barron, Bluvshtein, Craft, Craver, Dénommée, Dutton, Farges, Friesen, Nikouline, Pacey, Smith, Stockhausen, Thorvardson
            Votes No (0)
            Abstentions (3) Ferner, Gauer, Wu
            Paul Leblanc

Comment

Larry, if you know anyone who is present at the Chess Academy events, please ask them to PM me. I want to know exactly what the clocks are set at. Predrag Putic told me he sets the clocks at 60 minutes but refused to answer any of my follow up questions.
              Paul Leblanc

Comment

Larry, if you know anyone who is present at the Chess Academy events, please ask them to PM me. I want to know exactly what the clocks are set at. Predrag Putic told me he sets the clocks at 60 minutes but refused to answer any of my follow up questions.
                Paul,

Clocks?

Are you serious?

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                  Paul,

Clocks?

Are you serious?

Larry
                  The clocks are missing. The TD pleads the fifth and lawyers up. If we could add a former world champion with a penchant for solving mysteries we could make this into a television series or at least an episode.

Larry Bevand will be played by John McEnroe making a special guest appearance and delivering that "Are you serious?" line with the same intensity that he does in the car rental commercial that seems to run quite often around here.

Comment

Paul Leblanc
                    Rating Auditor
                    In my experience, unrated and low-rated juniors play at blinding speed, with no thought at all. It is entirely possible that the event was advertised at 60 minutes, the clocks were set at 60 minutes, and... well, if the first round was over in 20 minutes, is the TD really going to make everyone wait for an hour and forty minutes till the next round.

At the University of Windsor, Denton Cockburn used to run regular-rated junior events with 4 games per day, with the understanding that rounds would be paired a.s.a.p.

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
                      In my experience, unrated and low-rated juniors play at blinding speed, with no thought at all. It is entirely possible that the event was advertised at 60 minutes, the clocks were set at 60 minutes, and... well, if the first round was over in 20 minutes, is the TD really going to make everyone wait for an hour and forty minutes till the next round.

At the University of Windsor, Denton Cockburn used to run regular-rated junior events with 4 games per day, with the understanding that rounds would be paired a.s.a.p.
                      Hi John,

Maybe in Windsor where Trillium paid for a huge number of clocks this is the case...most (I said most...not all, folks) organizers do not have the means to provide clocks for their events.

I think Paul (who I believe is trying to do the right thing), should stop by scholastic events...and see the reality :). At the end of the day, he will realize (well if he sees the same things that I do), the CFC regulation is not realistic for scholastic chess at most levels...so either you change the rule...or you enforce the one you have :). At the end of the day, it depends what your objective is....

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                        Hi John,

Maybe in Windsor where Trillium paid for a huge number of clocks this is the case...most (I said most...not all, folks) organizers do not have the means to provide clocks for their events.

I think Paul (who I believe is trying to do the right thing), should stop by scholastic events...and see the reality :). At the end of the day, he will realize (well if he sees the same things that I do), the CFC regulation is not realistic for scholastic chess at most levels...so either you change the rule...or you enforce the one you have :). At the end of the day, it depends what your objective is....

Larry
                        John always provided clocks to most of the Windsor events even before the Trillium grant. There were always enough Saiteks for most of the small events of up to 30 or 40 players and a number of mechanical clocks for larger events as well. The large Windsor scholastic tournament in late February or early March only uses clocks for the stragglers. At least 25% of the games end in some variation of the four move checkmate or a rampaging queen that picks off a large number of pawns and pieces.

Comment

My recommendation:
                          Scholastic events- use CMA rating system
                          Appropriate, easy, inexpensive and great support at CMA (Christian)!
                          No, Larry didn't pay me advertisement fee.

Comment

Originally posted by Corinna Wan View Post
                            My recommendation:
                            Scholastic events- use CMA rating system
                            Appropriate, easy, inexpensive and great support at CMA (Christian)!
                            No, Larry didn't pay me advertisement fee.
                            My recommendation : if you want kids to have a chance to get the learning benefits of playing chess competitively, make sure they play with clocks, whatever the cost may be. Otherwise how is it possible to teach them to think each one of their moves as much as possible according to the time allowed ? Without clocks this cannot happen as there is too much pressure to keep playing as fast as the opponent. No, Larry didn't pay me either for advertizing. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                              My recommendation : if you want kids to have a chance to get the learning benefits of playing chess competitively, make sure they play with clocks, whatever the cost may be. Otherwise how is it possible to teach them to think each one of their moves as much as possible according to the time allowed ? Without clocks this cannot happen as there is too much pressure to keep playing as fast as the opponent. No, Larry didn't pay me either for advertizing. :)
                              Scholastic events are pretty much "Kid sees move, kid plays move" Most of the kids have no understanding of clocks and see it as just a fun toy to play bullet during break time so it's kinda useless to set timers since...... most of the game's will be over in 5 minutes anyway.
                              Plus... clocks are expensive
                              Shameless self-promotion on display here
                              http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Working...
                              X