X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re : Re: Team-Quebec

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
    What's your goal?

When I was organizing my goal was to make correspondence IA and be a good and fair tournament director. When I was playing my goal was to make correspondence GM.

People should set goals and work toward them.
    The problem with such goals is that many people simply stop playing after reaching their goals (as we saw with my many talentful players in Quebec).

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Team-Quebec

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
      The problem with such goals is that many people simply stop playing after reaching their goals (as we saw with my many talentful players in Quebec).
      Yes. That happens. Others might set higher goals once they reach their original goals. The problem seems to be there aren't very many opportunities for the titled players in Canada.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Yes. That happens. Others might set higher goals once they reach their original goals. The problem seems to be there aren't very many opportunities for the titled players in Canada.
        What you pointed out at the end is definitely something I'm concerned about. I'll have to travel to Ottawa to get FIDE rated games, which is what is more important to me now. I'll still play in the Montreal tournaments to keep practice though.

My first goal is to reach FM. After that, it would be nice to reach IM. I highly doubt I can make GM, so I'm good at IM. It's a nice respectable title :)

Denton

Comment

Originally posted by Denton Cockburn View Post
          What you pointed out at the end is definitely something I'm concerned about. I'll have to travel to Ottawa to get FIDE rated games, which is what is more important to me now. I'll still play in the Montreal tournaments to keep practice though.

My first goal is to reach FM. After that, it would be nice to reach IM. I highly doubt I can make GM, so I'm good at IM. It's a nice respectable title :)

Denton
          Sounds like a reasonable and ambitious goal, Good luck on that!
          Shameless self-promotion on display here
          http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by Denton Cockburn View Post

Denton
            There doesn't seem to be a national strategy on getting events FIDE rated. The CFC looks about the same as it did in the early 1970's except for the internet and I think there were more clubs around back then.

Good luck with reaching your goals!
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

There doesn't seem to be a national strategy on getting events FIDE rated.
              All national championships are FIDE rated. All other events are organized by private persons or other (provincial or regional) organizations, and they decide if there are needs to rate with FIDE. Though major weekend opens are FIDE rated. Coming Toronto Closed/Reserve will be FIDE rated too.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                All other events are organized by private persons or other (provincial or regional) organizations, and they decide if there are needs to rate with FIDE.
                That's not a national strategy. It might even be PART of the problem of the difference between the rating of players of equal ability in the different regions of the country.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

That's not a national strategy. It might even be PART of the problem of the difference between the rating of players of equal ability in the different regions of the country.
                  Are you ready to support financially Flying Chenucks who would tour Canada and would redistribute rating points

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                    Are you ready to support financially Flying Chenucks who would tour Canada and would redistribute rating points
                    Why should I do that? It's not my fault the membership is low and there is no agreement between the provinces and CFC on having the events FIDE rated. In case you didn't notice the foundation has lots of money. First spend that and then worry about where to get more.

Are the federations in Europe, where the standard of play is high, being administered in the same was as the CFC?
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Re: Re : Team-Quebec

Zeljko, I'm thinking primarily of those on the executive during the Trillium debacle and in the two or three years following (because they had the opportunity to clearly establish the facts and instead chose not to do so). However, I'm also thinking of those currently on the executive, as well as those in the future, if they're the type of people who don't or won't provide competent governance for the OCA, regardless of whether it's because of ignorance, lack of diligence, or because they're up to something unethical (or worse).

Regarding the current OCA executive, it's almost 9 months since the 2011 AGM and as far as I can tell there are still no AGM agenda, no AGM minutes, and no AGM executive reports posted at the OCA's website. Perhaps the OCA has a new website and hasn't bothered to inform most of its members?
                      "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                      "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                      "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
                        ... Regarding the current OCA executive, it's almost 9 months since the 2011 AGM and as far as I can tell there are still no AGM agenda, no AGM minutes, and no AGM executive reports posted at the OCA's website. Perhaps the OCA has a new website and hasn't bothered to inform most of its members?
                        I mean, if you don't have time to keep members informed, then why run for office in the first place? Leave the job for someone who has time or leave it vacant.
                        "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                        "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                        "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
                          Zeljko, I'm thinking primarily of those on the executive during the Trillium debacle and in the two or three years following (because they had the opportunity to clearly establish the facts and instead chose not to do so).
                          It seems to me that the OCA did have at least one annual general meeting which I attended in Kitchener as an observer where the facts were clearly established. The action taken was a lifetime ban of the recipient of the funds in question from holding any OCA sanctioned office and by extension any CFC office (presumably only as long as he remained a resident of Ontario). Someone can correct me if my recall of the outcome of the meeting is incorrect.

I don't see how much more the OCA could be expected to undertake. By the time key records disappeared in the course of an investigation it was already past the expiration date for doing much about the whole situation. Flogging dead horse optional.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                            It seems to me that the OCA did have at least one annual general meeting which I attended in Kitchener as an observer where the facts were clearly established. The action taken was a lifetime ban of the recipient of the funds in question from holding any OCA sanctioned office and by extension any CFC office (presumably only as long as he remained a resident of Ontario). Someone can correct me if my recall of the outcome of the meeting is incorrect.

I don't see how much more the OCA could be expected to undertake. By the time key records disappeared in the course of an investigation it was already past the expiration date for doing much about the whole situation. Flogging dead horse optional.
                            Truth is, what Barry Thorvardson did was likely no worse then what a good half dozen chess politicians/administrators did at some point in the 2000-2009 decade. For example, take whatever rules were supposably broken in the Trillium project, and I highly doubt the Kapaskasing project in 2003 could pass the same rules.

The chess organizations and how they evaluate these situations seems to be less about what actually occurred and more about the personal relationships of insiders.
                            Last edited by Duncan Smith; Monday, 6th February, 2012, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
                              Truth is, what Barry Thorvardson did was likely no worse then what a good half dozen chess politicians/administrators did at some point in the 2000-2009 decade. For example, take whatever rules were supposably broken in the Trillium project, and I highly doubt the Kapaskasing project in 2003 could pass the same rules.

The chess organizations and how they evaluate these situations seems to be less about what actually occurred and more about the personal relationships of insiders.
                              The rules broken were the rule against conflict of interest. The deliverables were also quite questionable for the amount of money received. Doing a lousy job is not a crime. The sin was against chess and the lost opportunity that the whole situation turned into was a penalty that Ontario and Canadian chess is still paying.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                                The rules broken were the rule against conflict of interest. The deliverables were also quite questionable for the amount of money received. Doing a lousy job is not a crime. The sin was against chess and the lost opportunity that the whole situation turned into was a penalty that Ontario and Canadian chess is still paying.
                                "Conflict of interest" has been a given with respect to the CFC and OCA for almost the whole decade. I could cite numerous examples. All of them hurt organized chess in Canada. Here's an example. The OCA decided one year to give second and third place finishers at CYCC a $500 bursary to go to WYCC. Patrick McDonald was on the executive. His son got the bursary. My daughter did not. They said later you had to apply for it, but there was no communication to the players or their families that it even existed. Clear conflict of interest, we found out about it in Greece. Some time later, I was at another event and Barry was going on about this bursary and how it was an example of the OCA helping juniors. He seemed unaware how insulting it was to me to talk about this project when we got no money.

What I'm saying is Barry is being villified for just following standard procedure in these chess organizations. Barry was actually one of the nicer people you'll meet in these roles. He did the legwork to get the money.
                                Last edited by Duncan Smith; Tuesday, 7th February, 2012, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X