Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Before I finalize things...

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
    This is sounding like a big event, over 200 players?

Evening games are nice, allowing daytime exploring. Some may need unwinding time at the bar, but there's no morning game to worry about.

Is FQE membership required? How much, and included with entry?

I would need directions or be picked up from train/airport in Montreal.

I'm open to sharing a room, anyway to get players together?

Tournament webpage with advanced registration?
    Hi Erik,

I am hoping for 150 players...but 200 would be sweet :).

The FQE has a tournament membership which costs $15 (the least expensive way of doing this)...of course you can become a full member for a year and receive their mag...in your mailbox 6 times a year (in French) for $45 a year...one of a dwindling number of organizations that still produces hard copy. These fees are NOT included in the entry fee.

The hotel has told me that they can provide transportation from Montreal...let me explore this further.

The tournament website is: www.chess-math.org/superfest2012 (to be updated shortly)

Hope you will take part!

It will be the most relaxing chess event you in which you have ever participated! :)

Larry

Comment

Re: Before I finalize things...

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
      WOW!!!

Thanks David...you can change the Saturday round to 1 PM...it makes perfect sense to me :)

Next thing: I received an e-mail from Serge Archambault suggesting that on the shorter version of the event...we start at 11 am on the Friday (apparently the chess world hates early mornings :) and change the time control for the first two rounds to 61 minutes per player to mate...comments from you and others would be appreciated.

Larry
      Larry, wearing my arbiter hat, I suggest digital time controls that include an increment of 30 seconds per move. Especially with faster time controls, where there tend to be more time scrambles, the increment of 30 seconds per move makes it significantly easier to arbiter such situations. Of course, if neither player has a digital clock, there should also be a set analog equivalent. I can help with any conversions, basically re 60 moves.

I believe a few years ago most FQE events went to digital time controls "by default", which as an arbiter I just love, and might have to be highlighted for non-Quebecers.

By the way, in another post on this thread, there was discussion of either paying an FQE tournament membership, or getting a full annual one. As a former Quebecer, who renewed his membership from time to time to play in the Hull/Gatineau clubs, I can heartily recommend that if a non-Quebecer can read any French, then you really should consider the annual membership, as the FQE magazine is well worth the price difference.

Congratulations on everything that has been organized so far! This is a superb idea! :)

Comment

Re : Re: Before I finalize things...

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post

I believe a few years ago most FQE events went to digital time controls "by default", which as an arbiter I just love, and might have to be highlighted for non-Quebecers.
        It's true. We tend to forget it, but all FQE rated tournaments need to have incrementation... So 61 minutes to mate would not be accepted. However, it could be 45 minutes to mate + 30 seconds, 60 minutes to mate + 30 seconds or even 61 minutes to mate + 5 seconds...

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Before I finalize things...

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
          It's true. We tend to forget it, but all FQE rated tournaments need to have incrementation... So 61 minutes to mate would not be accepted. However, it could be 45 minutes to mate + 30 seconds, 60 minutes to mate + 30 seconds or even 61 minutes to mate + 5 seconds...
          Hi Felix, thanks for corroborating my understanding. If I may suggest though, out of your list of choices, Larry should lean heavily towards something with a 30-second increment, as that still requires both players to continuously write all their moves. If I am not mistaken, you would need a starting time bank of that + 60 x 30 seconds, would equal over 60 minutes. In other words, wouldn't that be a minimum of 31 mins. + 30 secs?

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
            Hi Felix, thanks for corroborating my understanding. If I may suggest though, out of your list of choices, Larry should lean heavily towards something with a 30-second increment, as that still requires both players to continuously write all their moves. If I am not mistaken, you would need a starting time bank of that + 60 x 30 seconds, would equal over 60 minutes. In other words, wouldn't that be a minimum of 31 mins. + 30 secs?
            Hi Aris,

Thanks for the great feedback!

So help me out...what time control should I be offering for the first two rounds of the condensed version of this event...as well as the starting times of the rounds :)...with the understanding that the 3rd round has to start at 6:30pm and people need a break to have an early supper.

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
              So help me out...what time control should I be offering for the first two rounds of the condensed version of this event...as well as the starting times of the rounds :)...with the understanding that the 3rd round has to start at 6:30pm and people need a break to have an early supper.
              Will all players stay at same hotel? Then figure out what time is for breakfast (probably till 9) and dinner/supper. Add 30+45 min and you'll have starting time for rounds.

Currently 11 am is between breakfast and lunch -- not good. 10 am would be better.
              The late round depends on time control. Don't force people to play till 11 pm. It is not good for anybody - chess and health.

Time control -> 90 min +30 s will satisfy most of the crowd. (anyway whatever you'll choose someone would get into a time scramble and blame you :D

Comment

Working...
              X