Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pogonina hating on Nakamura

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
    But Kerry, in Ontario Hikaru would have to pay entry fees to play in weekenders with "based on" prizes. Do you think that could happen ? ;)
    Hi Jean! Yup, I could see that happening. Plus a late fee if he didn't pre register. The gall of some organizers, eh! :D;)

Comment

But Kerry, in Ontario Hikaru would have to pay entry fees to play in weekenders with "based on" prizes. Do you think that could happen ? ;)
      It's true there are some anti-elitist players in Ontario advocating for equality between sections and no special treatment for elite players, but joking aside, no organizer would charge a GM an entry fee in a weekend Swiss. And if the GM was Hikaru Nakamura, there wouldn't be one squawk from the anti-elitists.

Naka is our champion - representing this side of the Atlantic in the chess world!
      Marcus Wilker
      Annex Chess Club
      Toronto, Ontario

Comment

LOL ... in Ontario, anything can - and does happen.
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

LOL!! Plus he'd probably get roasted on chesstalk if he didn't help set up tables and chairs and solicit sponsors. :) :)
          "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
          "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
          "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Maybe the CCC should start a debate: Should over-2700's be setting up boards and pieces? LOL

Comment

Re : Re: Pogonina hating on Nakamura

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
              Maybe the CCC should start a debate: Should over-2700's be setting up boards and pieces? LOL
              In the U.S. they even need to bring them :)

Comment

Originally posted by Marcus Wilker View Post
                It's true there are some anti-elitist players in Ontario advocating for equality between sections and no special treatment for elite players, but joking aside, no organizer would charge a GM an entry fee in a weekend Swiss.
                Then I suppose that some Ontario weekenders are set up by "non-organizers". ;) What do you think of that Aris and Hal ? :)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                  Hi Jean! Yup, I could see that happening. Plus a late fee if he didn't pre register. The gall of some organizers, eh! :D;)
                  Laughing at yourself is a definite step towards progress... ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                    sure and

Wimbledon tennis players should run after their own balls, no more balls kids (ie child labour)

the one who throws the rocks in curling should do their own sweeping

snooker tournaments pros should retrieve their own sunk balls

and soccer games should stop while whoever kicked the ball out of play goes into the stands to get it

down with the elites

Comment

Originally posted by Zeljko Kitich View Post

the one who throws the rocks in curling should do their own sweeping
                      It's not possible to play correspondence curling. Can't get a mail delivery person to bring the rock to the house. :)

Curling Sucks!!!
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Hikaru Nakamura View Post
                        People will choose to believe whatever they wish to believe. One cannot change that. However, bringing joy to the many children, parents and the organizers while attempting to raise the profile of chess in British Columbia is what matters most and always will.
                        Amen!

Thanks for being a positive part of the Canadian chess scene!

Larry

Comment

Then I suppose that some Ontario weekenders are set up by "non-organizers". ;) What do you think of that Aris and Hal ? :)
                          Hi Jean, not sure if you are making a dig at me, but in Ottawa, we do not charge GMs, nor IMs, any entry fee at all, even if they just show up. I had assumed that was almost standard practice. And even if it is not, I feel it is right to not charge such elite players, both as a gesture of respect, and pragmatically, as they attract lower-rated players.

Best regards, Aris.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                            Has anyone mentioned that it rains quite a bit less in Toronto? :)
                            As Roger pointed out, you are wrong. Long term annual average is about 67 cm. per year as compared to 83 in Toronto. Almost all of it occurs in what we misleading call "winter". We benefit from rain shadows in all directions, from the Olympic mountains in Washington to the south and southwest, from the Sooke hills to the west, and from all of Vancouver Island to the northwest. They soak up almost all the moisture and there's little left by the time it gets to us. You can see this quite clearly in google earth radar imagery when it's raining on the coast of B.C. and Washington.

Also a lot more of Toronto's precipitation comes down in white flakes and hangs around for rather a long time so that, as Gordon Lightfoot pointed out "It's snowing in the city and the streets are brown and gritty" quite a lot.

We had three days of snow this year out here in B.C.'s capital. Shut the whole city down and there were deaths from car accidents due to people being unable to drive in 5 cm. of snow.

Victoria's climate also benefits from the warming effect of the Japanese current and it resembles northern California more than it resembles Vancouver. We really only get two seasons, the dry one and the rainy one.
                            Climatologists consider us an example of the "Mediterranean" climate type.

Vancouver doesn't get the benefit of the Olympics rain shadow and the air has time to pick up lots more moisture as it blows across the Salish sea and so it gets 119 centimeters on average. Just a teensy bit wetter.

Really, we rarely get "weather" here as you know it in the east. I used to think we did as a kid, but then I spent five years in T.O. and found out I was oh so wrong. Eventually I got sick of actual weather and fled back here to paradise. I actually liked Toronto as a city quite a lot, too bad about that weather you have on the other side of the Salish sea.

Now if you really want rain, drive past Victoria and up to Tofino. I spent a year there when I was ten years old. Average yearly rainfall there is nearly four meters.
                            Last edited by Ed Seedhouse; Thursday, 12th April, 2012, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Seedhouse View Post
                              We really only get two seasons, the dry one and the rainy one.
                              Climatologists consider us an example of the "Mediterranean" climate type.
                              There are some who say we have five seasons, because of that clearing period in February. I was thinking about the seasons just the other day, and my bid is three seasons. There is the dry season, July 15 - October 30, the wet season November 1 - January 31, and the mixed season February 1 - July 14. Allons-y. The three sports are bathtub racing, umbrella twirling, and lawn bowling.

Nanaimo gets similar precip levels to Victoria. 28 inches (sorry, showing my age)? Vancouver is a bit deceptive, because the usual quoted precip is taken at the airport, which receives about 40 inches a year, whereas the never-quoted West Vancouver level can exceed 100 inches. The bulk of Vancouver, which lies between the low airport and lofty West Van, receives an intermediate amount of rain.

BC. Rain gets in your glial cells.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
                                Nanaimo gets similar precip levels to Victoria. 28 inches (sorry, showing my age)?
                                Inches? What strange measurement system is that? And I'm older than you, too. :-)

The whole east coast of the Island benefits from rain shadows from the westerly ranges until you get really far north, but only Victoria gets one from the Olympics. In Canada, anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X