Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pogonina hating on Nakamura

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    Hi Jean, not sure if you are making a dig at me, but in Ottawa, we do not charge GMs, nor IMs, any entry fee at all, even if they just show up. I had assumed that was almost standard practice. And even if it is not, I feel it is right to not charge such elite players, both as a gesture of respect, and pragmatically, as they attract lower-rated players.
    I am glad to know that Aris. I must have come to the wrong conclusion that Bob Gillanders' way was mainstream in Ontario. But in any case I must point out that any possible dig coming your way from me could not be anything but friendly. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
      LOL!! Plus he'd probably get roasted on chesstalk if he didn't help set up tables and chairs and solicit sponsors. :) :)
      Don't forget putting up signs, written in crayon on brown paper bags, directing the "general public" to the chess tournament:

"Meat the GM! Chess tornament, down hall, furst door to left, up the fire ekscape, last window, pleaze dont wake the naybors."
      Only the rushing is heard...
      Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Seedhouse View Post
        As Roger pointed out, you are wrong. Long term annual average is about 67 cm. per year as compared to 83 in Toronto.
        It is not a very right parameter how much precipitations fall over the year for a normal person. An inconvenience is with drizzling day after day. (imho)

Environment Canada has the annual average rain / snow & precipitation days for Victoria Airport and Toronto Pearson A (and all other places)

Toronto Days with Rainfall: >= 0.2 mm 118
        Victoria Days with Rainfall: >= 0.2 mm 150

T Days with Precipitation - 145
        V Days with Precipitation - 154 (it clearly shows that snow is very rear.)

http://climate.weatheroffice.gc.ca/c...h1=0&month2=12

http://climate.weatheroffice.gc.ca/c...h1=0&month2=12

I could not find sunshine hours, though it should be somewhere too.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
          I am glad to know that Aris. I must have come to the wrong conclusion that Bob Gillanders' way was mainstream in Ontario. But in any case I must point out that any possible dig coming your way from me could not be anything but friendly. ;)
          Don't panic Jean, nobody is listening to my crazy radical ideas. If Aris is successful in utilizing Ken's very generous offer, that would be great. I wish him every success.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
            Don't panic Jean, nobody is listening to my crazy radical ideas.
            Chesstalk is dripping with good news these days. :D

Comment

Is it just me or do these BCers seem very sensitive at the mere mention of rain? They all seem to rain stats at their fingertips.

It's almost like they packed their golashes and brellas away wet and are now in a bad mood because of it.

Whatever BC is I've never heard it called the sunshine state.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeljko Kitich View Post

Whatever BC is I've never heard it called the sunshine state.
                We call it the left coast. :)
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Only the best from the best coast -- Re: Pogonina hating on Nakamura

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                  We call it the left coast. :)
                  Correction -- We call it the "best coast".

And out here we call it the "middle east" where you live :D

Comment

Re: Only the best from the best coast -- Re: Pogonina hating on Nakamura

Originally posted by Mark S. Dutton, I.A. View Post

And out here we call it the "middle east" where you live :D
                    Albertans have been known to call us worse. :)
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
                      Hate is a very strong word! Nor do you hate on someone.
                      As some have pointed out, the kind of construction that results in hating on has come into popularity. I don't know who was first, but songwriter Phil Ochs famously wrote (emphasis mine): "you won't find me singing on this song when I'm gone, so I guess I'll have to do it while I'm here". In both cases the on implies emphasis on performance. RIP, Phil.

Comment

Ah yes, Phil Ochs, his American "We're the cops of the world!" And you and I - we're the cops of ChessTalk. Seriously, I hate the juvenile bastardization of English. Phrases like - I'm like..... he's like.... my bad duh are all signs of the state of the human race. The human race is devolving now. If this keeps up, in twenty generations we'll be sitting in the trees eating bananas, scratching our armpits and going urk, urk urk.

Comment

Ah yes, Phil Ochs, his American "We're the cops of the world!" And you and I - we're the cops of ChessTalk. Seriously, I hate the juvenile bastardization of English. Phrases like - I'm like..... he's like.... my bad duh are all signs of the state of the human race. The human race is devolving now. If this keeps up, in twenty generations we'll be sitting in the trees eating bananas, scratching our armpits and going urk, urk urk.
                          I'd call it democratization. Language changes. We are not Tennyson is not Shakespeare is not Chaucer. I don't object to new forms, but to mindlessness. </rant> (note the use of a form that would not have existed 25 years ago).

Comment

Yep, you're the good cop! And I'm the bad one. It's the bad one usually gets his way!

Comment

Yep, you're the good cop! And I'm the bad one. It's the bad one usually gets his way!
                              Cop? Excuse me but that is a slang term. On what basis is a language purist such as yourself using a slang term over the correct term of constable?

Comment

Originally posted by Zeljko Kitich View Post
                                Cop? Excuse me but that is a slang term. On what basis is a language purist such as yourself using a slang term over the correct term of constable?
                                I don't claim to be a language purist, that's your designation of me. 'Cop' has been in the English language for over 1,000 years - so f.o., If I want to use a slang term I will. As usual, you miss the point of a ChessTalk post and respond with a non sequitur.

Comment

Working...
                                X