Ontario Chess Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ontario Chess Challenge

I am pleased to report that the CMA team, lead by Leslie Armstrong, did a great job yesterday!

Over 400 players took part in the Provincial event which was held north of Toronto.

The 12 Ontario champions (there is no Kindergarten event at the Nationals) get their airfare to Halifax, NS paid for by the CMA.

Here is the post by Ontario Provincial Coordinator, Leslie Armstrong, which appeared at the CMA site today:

The full results will be posted under the "Ratings" section of this site in the next day or two.

www.chess-math.org

Standings. 2012 Ontario Chess Challenge:

Kindergarten

# Name
    1 Issani, Nameer
    2 Noorali, Aahil
    3 Radin, Andrew
    4 Gilani, Mysha
    5 Romanowich, Ivan
    6 Tian, William
    7 Lawrence, Akash
    8 Walters, Joshua
    9 Liu, Owen

Grade 1

# Name
    1 Zhao, Jonathan
    2 Mo, Aidan
    3 Carrigan, Griffin
    4 Guo, Tyler
    5 Zhang, Richard
    6 Hou, Alexander
    7 Wu, Nicholas
    8 Bivol, Mateo Adrian
    9 England, Max
    10 Martin-chase, Rose

Grade 2

# Name
    1 Lin, Benjamin
    2 Akophyan, Nika
    3 Washimkar, Arhant
    4 Wang, Thomas
    5 Zheng, Ethan
    6 Vettese, Nicholas
    7 Li, Jack
    8 Li, Alan
    9 Mirabelli, Aidan
    10 Chen, Michael

Grade 3

# Name
    1 Ming, Wenyang
    2 Zhang, Taylor
    3 Liu, Daniel
    4 Guo, Thomas
    5 Liu, Sam
    6 Zhang, Jeannie
    7 Azroy, Arman
    8 Wang, Frank
    9 Mangaleswaran, Thakeshon
    10 Ruan, Colin

Grade 4

# Name
    1 Zhao, Yue Tong
    2 Sekar, Varun
    3 Yie, Kevin Yi-xiao
    4 Zhang, Michael
    5 Huang, Immanuel
    6 Zhou, Lily
    7 Ene, Nicholas
    8 Truong, Kyle
    9 Hu, Bill
    10 Paraparan, Varshini

Standings. 2012 Ontario Chess Challenge: Grade 5
    # Name
    1 Chen, Richard
    2 Zotkin, Daniel
    3 Xu, Jeffrey
    4 Wang, Dinny
    5 Liu, Jiaxin [dora]
    6 Shamroni, Dennis
    7 Gugel, Brett
    8 Wang, Constance
    9 Zhao, Harry
    10 Chen, George

Standings. 2012 Ontario Chess Challenge: Grade 6
    # Name
    1 Bellissimo, Joseph
    2 Cheung, Benedict
    3 Aghamalian, Derick
    4 Wang, Michael
    5 Selvanayagam, Yanojan
    6 Song, Eric
    7 Cheung, Lukas C
    8 Yu, Jerry
    9 Peng, Janet
    10 Zhong, Joey

Standings. 2012 Ontario Chess Challenge: Grade 7
    # Name
    1 Li, Yinshi
    2 Song, Michael
    3 Preotu, Razvan
    4 Kuttner, Simon
    5 Ye, Hanyuan
    6 Terry, Joshua
    7 Liang, Phillip
    8 Pandy, Saramae
    9 Muntaner, Daniel
    10 Li, Michael

Standings. 2012 Ontario Chess Challenge: Grade 8
    # Name
    1 Lin, Tony [jun Tao]
    2 Nasir, Zehn
    3 Plotkin, Mark
    4 Yang, Bryant
    5 Peng, Jackie
    6 Thanabalachandran, Kajan
    7 Zhang, Kevin Z
    8 Li, Robert
    9 Law, James
    10 Mattekatt, Joe

Standings. 2012 Ontario Chess Challenge: Grade 9
    # Name
    1 Fu, James
    2 Knox, Christopher
    3 Qian, Owen
    4 Giblon, Rebecca
    5 Gomes, Michael
    6 Fu, Jason
    7 Yang, Yimang
    8 Sharma, Vinay
    9 Sheng, Jeff
    10 D'Souza, Justin

Standings. 2012 Ontario Chess Challenge: Grade 10
    # Name
    1 Qin, Joey [zi Yi]
    2 Florea, Alexandru
    3 Denbok, Daniel
    4 Myers, Joshua
    5 Yang, Jerry
    6 Siemeon, Jerick
    7 Cottrell, Deparse
    8 Padillo, John Mark F
    9 Nassar, Ahmad
    10 Soriano, Jonathan

Standings. 2012 Ontario Chess Challenge: Grade 11
    # Name
    1 Marinkovic, Mate
    2 Ivanov, Michael
    3 Itkin, David
    4 Blium, Benjamin
    5 Gusev, Nikita
    6 Cunningham, Ross
    7 Li, David (ruokai)
    8 Lau, Joshua
    9 Hulsebosch, Joseph
    10 Bailey, James

Standings. 2012 Ontario Chess Challenge: Grade 12
    # Name
    1 Calugar, Arthur
    2 Kleinman, Michael
    3 Langridge, Johnathan
    4 Sottile, Claudio
    5 Eftekhari, Daniel
    6 Kucher, Vadam
    7 Roy, Andrew
    8 Belmonte, Johnny
    9 Kwiatkowski, Kyler
    10 Bailey, Joshua

The last Provincial Championship will be held on Sunday, April 29 2012 in Montreal, Quebec.

Go to our site for updates on this truly Canadian chess event!

NO OTHER CHESS EVENT IN CANADA HAS SUCH PROVINCIAL REPRESENTATION!

http://www.nssca.ca/ccc/

Larry Bevand
    Chess'n Math Association

Re: Ontario Chess Challenge

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
    The full results
    http://www.chesstalk.com/elo/pub/scr...is.php?no=7894

K-G4 winners finished with 5/5 :D
    G12 two players with 5/5. Though pairings are strange to me: after two rounds they had 2/2, and only them with two points. Nevertheless they were not paired in the third rounds.

Can anybody clarify?

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
      http://www.chesstalk.com/elo/pub/scr...is.php?no=7894

K-G4 winners finished with 5/5 :D
      G12 two players with 5/5. Though pairings are strange to me: after two rounds they had 2/2, and only them with two points. Nevertheless they were not paired in the third rounds.

Can anybody clarify?
      I have been a referee in this Chess Challenge 2 x in the past and part of the rules and regulations stated that the top 2 seeds will not be paired until the last round.

It is possible that the rules have changed, and that they could only meet in the play-off.

I believe this rule is to ensure that the top 2 seeds will battle for the championships.

Please correct me if i am wrong.

PS It is also in this tournament that i have encountered the touch move rule often - the one where the touched piece accidentally comes into contact with an opponent piece. If ti is deemed accidental, i let go but warned the player to be careful. I always emphasize sportsmanship.

Comment

Re : Re: Ontario Chess Challenge

Originally posted by Erwin Casareno View Post
        I have been a referee in this Chess Challenge 2 x in the past and part of the rules and regulations stated that the top 2 seeds will not be paired until the last round.
        In Quebec, the rule is that the top 2 seeds will not be paired until the last round IF they both have perfect scores.

Anyway, congratulations for the tournament! So sad that every year I managed to finish second, always losing on time or because of a big blunder :D

I hope the opposition will be as strong next week!

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Ontario Chess Challenge

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
          In Quebec, the rule is that the top 2 seeds will not be paired until the last round IF they both have perfect scores.
          Who remembers the year when Shiyam and myself competed in the Ontario Chess Challenge in 2008?

After round 3, Shiyam, myself, and Christopher Pace had 3.0/3.0 and yet none of us played each other This led to us all having 4.0/4.0. As per the rule above, Shiyam and I had to play each other in the final round, as we had both maintained perfect scores until then, and we drew.

Christopher won his last round game and scored 5.0/5.0 having played neither of the top 2 seeded players, while Shiyam and I finished with 4.5/5.0. LOL.

Comment

Quote from 2012 Ontario Chess Challenge Rules
            6. The two players with the highest rating in each grade at the start of the event will only meet in playoffs, provided they both maintain perfect scores throughout the regular competition.
            I don't know if this rule was in effect in 2008

Comment

Originally posted by Aman Hambleton View Post
              Who remembers the year when Shiyam and myself competed in the Ontario Chess Challenge in 2008?

After round 3, Shiyam, myself, and Christopher Pace had 3.0/3.0 and yet none of us played each other This led to us all having 4.0/4.0. As per the rule above, Shiyam and I had to play each other in the final round, as we had both maintained perfect scores until then, and we drew.

Christopher won his last round game and scored 5.0/5.0 having played neither of the top 2 seeded players, while Shiyam and I finished with 4.5/5.0. LOL.
              The "top seeds" rule WAS in effect in 2008. After round 3, there were five players with 3.0. After round 4, there were 3 players with 4.0. How should the pairings have been done differently? The cross table is here http://www.chesstalk.com/elo/pub/scr...is.php?no=4230

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
                6. The two players with the highest rating in each grade at the start of the event will only meet in playoffs, provided they both maintain perfect scores throughout the regular competition.
                I'm not sure I understand this, since the rule quoted above seems pretty arbitrary to me, but if that rule was followed then Shiyam and Aman could have been paired in any round, since the X-table (link from Colman) shows that they were not the two highest rated players in their section (Avinaash Sundar was 2nd rated).

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
                  The "top seeds" rule WAS in effect in 2008. After round 3, there were five players with 3.0. After round 4, there were 3 players with 4.0. How should the pairings have been done differently? The cross table is here http://www.chesstalk.com/elo/pub/scr...is.php?no=4230
                  I just think its pretty spectacular that someone should be able to win the section without playing at least one of the top 2 seeds, especially since they maintained perfect scores throughout.

It seems like there is a loophole somewhere.

they were not the two highest rated players in their section (Avinaash Sundar was 2nd rated).
                  I believe CFC ratings were being used. At least when I saw my name on the pairings sheet I didn't see (1824) beside my name.

Comment

Hi Aman,

I was there. I had seen the same situation many times.
                    I agree with you that there seems like a loophole somewhere.
                    Even if you look at the crosstables in recent years' OCC, some first placed winners didn't play second or third placed players. I think there were just too many players to do 5 rounds, unless there were only two stronger players in each grade.
                    Corinna

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
                      Thnx. More clear.

Comment

Originally posted by Aman Hambleton View Post
                        I just think its pretty spectacular that someone should be able to win the section without playing at least one of the top 2 seeds, especially since they maintained perfect scores throughout.

It seems like there is a loophole somewhere.

I believe CFC ratings were being used. At least when I saw my name on the pairings sheet I didn't see (1824) beside my name.
                        This section was not paired according to normal swiss rules, as far as I can see. In round 2, five of the top six players on the final crosstable, all of whom won their first game, were paired against players who lost their first game. In round 3, all the 2-pointers were paired against 1-pointers.

Some sort of accelerated pairings? Why? There were only 17 players in a 5-round tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
                          This section was not paired according to normal swiss rules, as far as I can see. In round 2, five of the top six players on the final crosstable, all of whom won their first game, were paired against players who lost their first game. In round 3, all the 2-pointers were paired against 1-pointers.

Some sort of accelerated pairings? Why? There were only 17 players in a 5-round tournament.
                          Hi John,

We have two rules for the OCC which are not common.

1 - We do not pair ŷoungsters together from the same region in the first two rounds.

2 - We protect the top two highest rated players from meeting each other in regular play provided they both have perfect scores.

Not sure if that helps :)

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                            We have two rules for the OCC which are not common.

1 - We do not pair ŷoungsters together from the same region in the first two rounds.

2 - We protect the top two highest rated players from meeting each other in regular play provided they both have perfect scores.

Not sure if that helps :)
                            Both thoughtless rules. The first increases the need for pairing players from the same region together in subsequent rounds, which is even less desirable. The second one discriminates against all players in favor of the top two, which is unacceptable in what should be a fair and open competition.

Comment

Hi Larry

One of the top two rated players lost in round 3, so the "top seeds" rule wasn't relevant in later rounds.

Not pairing players from the same region might have caused the pairing peculiarities in the first two rounds, but cannot explain the irregularities in the 3rd round, when the 2-pointers were paired against 1-pointers.

It's a puzzlement.

Comment

Working...
                              X