• Round 2 pairings

Open

Canada - Bolivia;

Women

Canada - Costa Rica.

Andale!, Canada.

Re: Round 2 pairings

Hi Jonathan:

What kind of pairing system are they using? Both Bolivia and Costa Rica have 2 match points, and each Canadian team has 0 match points. How do we end up paired up??

Bob

Comment

Not ideal pairings on women's boards 13-15. Teams from the bottom half which won in the first round play each other. Some of them are still going to have perfect scores for the third round, leading to uneven pairings. A variation would be to pair (some of) the top half teams which drew in the first round (you'll find them on boards 38-41) against those second half teams. But you have to go with the rules you announced. Another variation, going back to the first round: make the top half a bit larger than the bottom half, so that after the drawn matches in the top half, the number of top half losers = the number of bottom half winners. This second approach is a gamble, because you don't know how many top half matches will be drawn, nor do you know that there won't be any draws in the bottom half.

Comment

Bob,

It's Accelerated Pairings, as you might have noticed from the first round.

Pairings here:

http://chess-results.info/tnr16315.a...N&flag=30&m=-1

Comment

Round 2 has been postponed!

Instead of starting at 15.00 CET (that's 6 am Pacific Time), the start of the round was
          delayed an hour. According to chessdom.com , this was due to changes in the composition of the Philippines (wasn't it peculiar yesterday that their lowest-rated player Villamayor was on top board? But from what I see at chessdom, the only issue is one equivalent to "who plays today?" Why would that occasion a round postponement?) and Nigeria.

You can find the delay confirmed at the pairings page:

http://chess-results.info/tnr16315.a...N&flag=30&m=-1

Does anybody remember an Olympiad round being delayed for this reason?

Super ironic of course that the organization insisted that board composition and order had to be determined months in advance and was not allowed to change. Previously,the inviolate nature of team compositions was a joke, an open fiction, with huge changes being made the night before the first round, but I don't remember a round being delayed because of this question.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
            Round 2 has been postponed!

Instead of starting at 15.00 CET (that's 6 am Pacific Time), the start of the round was
            delayed an hour. According to chessdom.com , this was due to changes in the composition of the Philippines (wasn't it peculiar yesterday that their lowest-rated player Villamayor was on top board?
            That's a decent strategy in match play. Slot your weakest player on board 1 and only use him against teams where you expect to lose. When you play him you move your stronger players down one board to face weaker opponents than they would normally play and hope the weak player on board 1 can maybe draw.

Sounds like the team captain is one smart cookie!
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I see that the round is starting an hour late. Was it something to do with people not showing up at time?

That rule is going to cause many, many problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyler Longo View Post
                I see that the round is starting an hour late. Was it something to do with people not showing up at time?
                The organizer must be forfeited :D They are late more than a sec :D

Comment

Gary,

Since Russia giving 4th board to Morozevich (second-highest rated player in all of the Olympiad) occasioned an official protest from the Swiss delegation, it seemed reasonable that the delay was due to a protest about the Philippines board order. The rating difference for the Philippines is bigger than the rating difference for Russia. So it was interesting that this plausible scenario is, apparently, not the case.

Stacking (the name for the strategy you described) often works, but it also sometimes backfires. It almost always annoys the other teams. Right up your alley!

It could be that they just want to protect their young genius Wesley So from the psychic brunt of too much Board 1 play. Wesley is rapidly approaching the world ranking that Eugenio Torre had in his salad years. His rating of 2610 may be higher than Torre ever achieved; the highest I could find for Torre was 2580 in 1983. Of course, those were different days.

Comment

Round 2 has started. Live games, as before:
                    Open teams:
                    http://schachlive.dresden2008.de/liv...mes.m.eng.html

Women's teams:
                    http://schachlive.dresden2008.de/liv...mes.f.eng.html

Tyler

The postponement of the round was announced (over an hour) before its scheduled start time. So the official reason, given above, does not seem out of order, does it?

But I can only heartily agree with your conclusion in the second paragraph.

Comment

Ah. I did not read the post above. Thanks.

According to my trusted colleague, Yuanling has gotten into a particularly bad known line by not playing 7... Nh6, and is now just a pawn down.

Comment

Open Olympics, Canada - Bolivia, board 4, Thomas's opponent Raisa Luna is an 18-year-old female.

Tyler,

According to my TWIC base, in recent games Black has a better score, 39%, with 7...Nf6, than the recommended 7...Nh6 (33%), and after 9.Nxd4 (winning the pawn) has scored 50% in 13 games. That isn't Truth, but it may be practical.

Comment

Incidentally, if you can't figure out how the current position arrived, left click on the board. That'll bring up a (static) game history. Clicking on the player names brings up their FIDE rating graph and often a photo!

Comment

Open Olympics, Canada - Bolivia, board 4, Thomas's opponent Raisa Luna is an 18-year-old female.
                            Oops, that should read Nikolay's opponent is an 18-year-old female.

Comment

Da Bosco - Yuan

According to my TWIC base, in recent games Black has a better score, 39%, with 7...Nf6, than the recommended 7...Nh6 (33%), and after 9.Nxd4 (winning the pawn) has scored 50% in 13 games. That isn't Truth, but it may be practical.
                              We're waiting for White's 10th move. Dragan Solak, a 2595 GM, played the remarkable 10.Ne6 and went on to win against Nikac (2390) at Budva, 2004. In the only other game I could find, White tried the blah Nb3 and lost.

Comment

Working...
                              X