Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Canada - Next Federal Gov't?

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
    By the way, Bob, my $20. tells me it's brave and willing to go out into the world if need be..

Do you think the election will be this fall or next spring?
    Hi Gary:

I believe a regulation was passed that the election date is fixed for Oct. 17, 2015 (but that the Govt. can call it earlier, if they so choose). I do not think the government can go beyond this outside date.

Bob A

Comment

Why not save Canadian taxpayers the exorbitant expense of an election and follow the good example in P.E.I. and settle all future elections by a coin flip (:

http://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/liberal-w...t-tie-1.238136

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
        Hi Gary:

I believe a regulation was passed that the election date is fixed for Oct. 17, 2015 (but that the Govt. can call it earlier, if they so choose). I do not think the government can go beyond this outside date.

Bob A
        Hi Bob,

You're probably right about the date.

I'm starting to like Trudeau's chances of forming the next government. The TV attack ads against him shouldn't hurt too much because a lot of us watched him grow up in the public spotlight.

I still don't like the NDP's chances of forming the government. Looking at Alberta and their experiment with the NDP is interesting. While they have only recently won in that province, the NDP is supposed to be the political party for the workers. The big question which comes to mind is why so many working people are losing their jobs in that province since the election.

I was also reading the minimum wage in that province will go to $15. an hour. Having always felt a business which can't afford to pay a employee a decent living wage probably shouldn't be in business, it will be interesting to see how many will choose to continue to operate with that minimum.

I was looking at the financials for one oil sands company yesterday. Oil is just under $60. US a barrel today. The cost of operating currently runs around $50. US a barrel for that company. A very slim margin and dependent on the currency exchange rate. With increased carbon taxes, income taxes and royalty rates it will be interesting to see where the company cuts to get their cost down. Usually the first things to consider is cutting capital expenditures and get rid of salaries.

A problem with the NDP is while they support workers, the climate, etc. etc,, they can't control the ability or willingness of the corporations to pay up.

In any case, people elect the government they can afford and Alberta is a rich province.

Gary
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
        X