Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Handicap tournament

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
    How would you like to beat Short at knight odd ? Would you really enjoy it ?
    I would love the chance. Though a knight seems quite insufficient vs. Short. Milan Vukadinov used to blitz us patzers with rook odds, and 3 minutes to 5. That was a balanced game.

There is no game like chess, where one single mistake can cost so much. That is why handicap games have gone out of fashion along with the increased level of the amateur players.
    Since amateurs frequently make mistakes, it's not hard for a master to make up the difference. The problem is that, in the presence of prepared openings, the masters lack experience innovating out of the opening. There are no handicap opening books, and so what could be a proper contest is delayed by a struggle to disorient the weaker player who is following standard lines.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
      Having organized both chess clubs as well as tournaments, I have always thought it important to attract new players to the game. Most newcomers are seriously intimidated by the use of the chess clock. They at first forget to punch the thing after making their move. Then, when they lose the game on time, they come away thinking the game is for humbugs and not for decent people.
      So time handicap is fine for experienced players but no so much so for the novice.
      In general, the novice is much more acceptable of being spotted a knight or a rook and then having time to think. We've all seen beginning players for whom a queen spot is not enough. But then when they win their first game they come away hooked on chess. Isn't that what we want?
      As an organizer if you really believe in handicap tournaments, go ahead! What's stopping you ? Personally I think it is a dead end. And the people on this board showing support for the idea will be the last to show up when the opportunity comes around.

Comment

Susan Polgar has a poll on her blog asking people what they would be willing to pay as an entry fee in a handicap tournament where First Prize was $1,000,000.
        She does not specify the handicap, but states that everyone would have a reasonable chance at the top prize. In order for that to be the case, I would suggest a handicap I once used at a Xmas Party tournament at the Bayview Club a few years ago. As far as I recall, the handicap was rating related >>>

For everyone to have a shot at the top prize, this would have to be a handicap tournament. One I have tried before is>>>
        "for every 200 rating points you are ahead of your opponent you must remove 1 point in value from your starting line-up. Thus a 2300 player meeting a 1900 player would remove two pawns from his army. Against a 1700 player, he might remove his queens knight, for example.
        Thus, everyone would feel they have a chance to beat a GM"

As I recall, an A Class player won first place despite a number of masters being in the line-up.
        This scheme would not work if the ratings were not accurate to start with.
        I may try this at a Xmas party later this year using our very accurate Rapid ratings. :)

Vlad, do you have a link to the Susan Polgar blog post?

I'm wondering what her motivation for the question was. Is she trying to formulate some way to introduce "luck" into chess in the hope of giving chess the kind of mass entries and huge prizes of poker?

If so, I suggest an alternative to a handicap system:

http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/show...ght=expedition

There is still a large amount of skill involved, along with a different kind of skill from regular chess.
        Only the rushing is heard...
        Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
          Vlad, do you have a link to the Susan Polgar blog post?

I'm wondering what her motivation for the question was. Is she trying to formulate some way to introduce "luck" into chess in the hope of giving chess the kind of mass entries and huge prizes of poker?

If so, I suggest an alternative to a handicap system:

http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/show...ght=expedition

There is still a large amount of skill involved, along with a different kind of skill from regular chess.
          As I see you are interested in exploring new avenues, I would suggest you simply google 'Susan Polgar chess' to reach her blog.

In the past, I have often been approached by failed chess-players with versions of 'improved' chess. They must have felt that since they couldn't beat the better players at chess, they would create a new version - to level the playing field as it were. As I understand it, you cannot patent a 'version' of chess or other game. However, you can spend several tens of thousands of dollars to produce, box and market your version and it will automatically (in Canada) be copyrighted.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
            As an organizer if you really believe in handicap tournaments, go ahead! What's stopping you ? Personally I think it is a dead end. And the people on this board showing support for the idea will be the last to show up when the opportunity comes around.
            Jean, let me ask you this, do you actually read someone's post before responding? You certainly do not respond to what has actually been said.
            Did I say somewhere that I intended to organize handicap tournaments on a
            regular agenda? But if I should, it warms my heart to know that I have your permission. :p

Comment

"handicap" is no longer a politically correct term to use; it will turn off players. Better to refer to the tournament as being for the "chessically challenged"; even the term "woodpushers competition" would be more politically correct than "handicap".

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Beckwith View Post
                "handicap" is no longer a politically correct term to use; it will turn off players. Better to refer to the tournament as being for the "chessically challenged"; even the term "woodpushers competition" would be more politically correct than "handicap".
                We could work on making a handicap tournament by subjecting the top players:

- play blindfold, including finding the washroom
                - their side of the clock doesn't work until hit 10 times
                - their pieces are held onto the board by a powerful magnet
                - have their hands tied behind their back, or fingers tied together
                - have to wear headphones blaring music they hate
                - be sleep deprived the night before
                - have a heater beneath their chair
                - have no chair and have to jump up to see the board
                - be fed anti-depressants and other drugs
                - randomly throughout the game be hit with a paddle
                - have to hear kibitzers and critics behind their back

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
                  We could work on making a handicap tournament by subjecting the top players:

- be sleep deprived the night before
                  It could be said I play all my games with a handicap then...

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Beckwith View Post
                    "handicap" is no longer a politically correct term to use; it will turn off players.
                    I didn't know they no longer use the term "handicap" in golf. Also bowling handicap in that sport. Haven't heard it's turning players off.
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

As I see you are interested in exploring new avenues, I would suggest you simply google 'Susan Polgar chess' to reach her blog.

In the past, I have often been approached by failed chess-players with versions of 'improved' chess. They must have felt that since they couldn't beat the better players at chess, they would create a new version - to level the playing field as it were. As I understand it, you cannot patent a 'version' of chess or other game. However, you can spend several tens of thousands of dollars to produce, box and market your version and it will automatically (in Canada) be copyrighted.

Firstly, I should note that I am NOT seeking to patent or copyright or trademark the idea that I call "Expedition Chess". It's a freebie.

Now, I don't want to get into anything with you Vlad; you are from what I can tell a hard-working chess organizer, and that is something I highly respect. But there is a negative tone to your reply, perhaps you are thinking that my post was motivated by a desire to publicize my idea. No: basically my post was to bring another form of "handicap chess" into the discussion, and as you point out, all these forms of handicap chess are meant to level the playing field. Once you do that, then other effects become apparent, such as the willingness of players to pay higher fees to play, knowing that they have a much better chance of achieving some sort of success (however tainted it might be). I was mostly curious if Susan Polgar was trying to enlist suggestions that would lead to the primary effect (level the playing field) and thus the secondary effect.

I'm not sure what compelled you to make the assertions you did about "failed chess-players" and their motivations for creating versions of "improved chess". We'll call this Definiton 1: A "failed chess player" is anyone who has never held the title of World Chess Champion, if we define "failed" strictly in terms of success against other human opponents.

If we expand those terms to include computer engines, then arguably all the World Champions would fit this definition, and definitely the most recent ones would.

But maybe you meant "failed" to define players who have tried the game of chess, had mediocre success if any at all, and because of this, left the game. Let's call that the more restrictive Definition 2. By the way, history abounds with very successful scientists, mathematicians, artists, engineers who fit the second definition, and so there is no need for anyone to be dismissive / judgmental of any such person.

And so when they come to you with an idea of a new form of chess, you assume it is their effort to give themselves a chance of winning. I'd say that's a bit presumptious of you. There's been recent threads about FischerRandom chess: should we presume that Fischer was a "failed chess-player" who felt a threat from others who knew openings better than he, and so had to mix it up to give himself a better chance? Or was he merely trying to improve chess, where "improve" meant taking the role of memorization mostly out of the game? I'd also suggest he might have been merely proposing a variant of chess to coexist with standard chess, but Kevin Pacey has asserted that that was definitely not the case, and I'm assuming (since I don't think it's important anyway) that Kevin knows of what he speaks.

I do need to correct your assertion about patentability. Perhaps in Canada you may be correct, but in the U.S., one certainly can patent a "version" of chess if it is sufficiently original and different from standard chess. It's very subjective to try and define "sufficiently original and different", and that is part and parcel of the U.S. patent process.

Here are some links that will prove those statements:

http://www.bodnerorourke.com/pdf/Board%20Game.doc.pdf

(a link provided by Bodner & O’Rourke, LLP, a New York patent law firm whose home page is at http://www.bodnerorourke.com )

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/featur..._the_game_.php
                      Only the rushing is heard...
                      Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Working...
                      X