39 players at the Zonals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 39 players at the Zonals

With new strong participants such as IM Calugar, IM Panjwani and Jackie Peng (Women's Championship), the tournament is getting much stronger!

You can consult the full list of players here :

http://ccc2012.yolasite.com/participants.php

What are your predictions regarding the winners and the favorites for the IM and FM titles?

Re: 39 players at the Zonals

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
    What are your predictions regarding the winners and the favorites for the IM and FM titles?
    FM Title: Elias Oussedik

IM Title: FM Louie Jiang

Comment

My money is on Kovalyov to win the tournament.

If Keith MacKinnon joins the tournament, my money is on him to get the IM title.

Norm

Comment

Originally posted by Normand Arsenault View Post
        My money is on Kovalyov to win the tournament.
        That's a reasonable bet, if he plays.

I would not be surprised if he is not allowed to play.

As Spraggett's blog recently pointed out, AK is still listed on the FIDE site as belonging to the Argentine federation. I don't understand FIDE's regulations --- and their disregard for their own laws makes me think it's impossible to predict what they might do --- but if he plays in the Canadian Zonal, FIDE might refuse to recognize his games. This might put both the qualification spot for the World Championship cycle in doubt, as well as annul any IM or FM titles earned at the Zonal.

Imagine the following: Player A draws AK and ends the Zonal with the highest score but another player who lost to AK is awarded a win by FIDE (following their rule 4.2)** and so by FIDE's score that player should represent Canada at the WC matches.

Further: imagine two players who have been chasing the FM and IM titles score enough points to earn them, but FIDE refuses to grant the titles because they played someone who FIDE rules should not have been in the Zonal.

Does the CFC want to expose itself to the lawsuits those disappointed players might bring?

Of course, this will all be moot if AK's federation is changed to Canada before the Zonal, but that's less than 6 weeks away....

**Rule 4.2
        4.2 Penalties shall be imposed as follow:

(a) Individual competitions: The results of the offending player shall be annulled and his opponents shall be awarded the maximum score. The offending player also loses his right to any qualification as well as to claim any prize(s).
        http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook?id=19&view=category

Comment

Re : Re: 39 players at the Zonals

Originally posted by John Upper View Post
          That's a reasonable bet, if he plays.

I would not be surprised if he is not allowed to play.

As Spraggett's blog recently pointed out, AK is still listed on the FIDE site as belonging to the Argentine federation. I don't understand FIDE's regulations --- and their disregard for their own laws makes me think it's impossible to predict what they might do --- but if he plays in the Canadian Zonal, FIDE might refuse to recognize his games. This might put both the qualification spot for the World Championship cycle in doubt, as well as annul any IM or FM titles earned at the Zonal.

Imagine the following: Player A draws AK and ends the Zonal with the highest score but another player who lost to AK is awarded a win by FIDE (following their rule 4.2)** and so by FIDE's score that player should represent Canada at the WC matches.

Further: imagine two players who have been chasing the FM and IM titles score enough points to earn them, but FIDE refuses to grant the titles because they played someone who FIDE rules should not have been in the Zonal.

Does the CFC want to expose itself to the lawsuits those disappointed players might bring?

Of course, this will all be moot if AK's federation is changed to Canada before the Zonal, but that's less than 6 weeks away....

**Rule 4.2
          4.2 Penalties shall be imposed as follow:

(a) Individual competitions: The results of the offending player shall be annulled and his opponents shall be awarded the maximum score. The offending player also loses his right to any qualification as well as to claim any prize(s).
          http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook?id=19&view=category
          All the Canadian citizens are eligible to the Zonals, even if their country for FIDE isn't Canada.
          However, to represent us at the World Cup, they must play under the Canada flag.
          In this case, Kovalyov is at least eligible to play at the zonals. For what is of the World Cup, we contacted the FIDE (through our FIDE representative) and they assured us that GM Kovalyov's transfer will be done in time and that he will be able to represent us at the World Cup if he wins.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: 39 players at the Zonals

All the Canadian citizens are eligible to the Zonals, even if their country for FIDE isn't Canada.
            However, to represent us at the World Cup, they must play under the Canada flag.
            Thanks for clearing that up.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: 39 players at the Zonals

In this case, Kovalyov is at least eligible to play at the zonals. For what is of the World Cup, we contacted the FIDE (through our FIDE representative) and they assured us that GM Kovalyov's transfer will be done in time and that he will be able to represent us at the World Cup if he wins.
              Hal knows the details much better, but my understanding is that Anton would have a two year wait once his application for transfer is received. Of course that can be fast tracked by paying $$ to FIDE.

This is the situation Bator was in for the last World Cup (and why Hansen took his place). In his case he had to sit out only a year from official "FIDE" events. He has and will be participating in the 2012 Olympiad.

If Anton doesn't apply for the Federation change in the next few months he won't be eligible to play for Canada at the 2014 Olympiad without paying $$.
              Last edited by Fred McKim; Thursday, 21st June, 2012, 12:07 PM.

Comment

An American (Danny Kopec - may have had British citizenship as well), and a New Zealander (R.G. Wade) have previously participated in Canadian Championships. As far as I know - neither were Canadian citizens at the time. There may have been others.

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: 39 players at the Zonals

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
                  Hal knows the details much better, but my understanding is that Anton would have a two year wait once his application for transfer is received. Of course that can be fast tracked by paying $$ to FIDE.

This is the situation Bator was in for the last World Cup (and why Hansen took his place). In his case he had to sit out only a year from official "FIDE" events. He has and will be participating in the 2012 Olympiad.

If Anton doesn't apply for the Fereation change in the next few months he won't be eligible to play for Canada at the 2014 Olympiad without paying $$.
                  Anton applied for the transfer several months ago.

Also, here are the full requirements for the eligibility :

807. Citizenship and Residency for Canadian Championship:

Each contestant in the the Canadian Championship or Zonal Tournament shall be a member of the CFC in good standing and shall be either (i) a Canadian citizen or (ii) a landed immigrant and be a resident of Canada for the twelve-month period immediately preceding the tournament. Persons who are not citizens or landed immigrants but who have been a resident of Canada for a twelve-month period immediately preceding the tournament and are not living in Canada solely as a student or in a work learning program may be admitted to the Tournament provided they can clearly demonstrate to the CFC Board of Directors that they have a settled intention to continue to reside in Canada. The admittance to the Tournament of such exceptions shall be entirely at the discretion of the CFC Board of Directors.

Comment

FM Title: 1.Razvan Preotu 2. Olivier-Kenta Chiku-Ratté 3.Nikita Kraiouchkine
                    IM Title: Richard Wang 2. Louie Jiang 3.Goran Milicevic

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                      An American (Danny Kopec - may have had British citizenship as well), and a New Zealander (R.G. Wade) have previously participated in Canadian Championships. As far as I know - neither were Canadian citizens at the time. There may have been others.
                      Kopec was allowed to play under a provision similar to the second-last sentence of 807 quoted above. For Wade, decades earlier, it might have been a measure of Commonwealth solidarity. Or he might have competed hors concours. Of course, as a strong--but not too strong--foreign--but not too foreign--player, he was ideally placed. It should not be forgotten that Yanofsky played in--and won--the British Championship, and that other Canadians later competed (e.g., Ian Findlay more than once) before the Brits decided to close the Commonwealth loophole.

Comment

Working...
                      X