A truly Canadian championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A truly Canadian championship

Its pretty exciting that Alberta has a realistic chance to earn another IM from this tournament as both Edmonton champion FM Vladimir Pechenkin and Alberta champion FM Richard Wang are among the top non IMs.

Comment

Thanks for this Jonathan.

Comment

How come the majority of past and future Women Olympiad Team members are not playing?

Names that come to mind are: Dalia Kagramanov, Dina Kagramanov, Alexandra Botez, Yelizaveta Orlova, Yuanling Yuan, Iulia Lacau, Jill Ding.

Norm

Comment

Re : Re: A truly Canadian championship

Originally posted by Normand Arsenault View Post
          How come the majority of past and future Women Olympiad Team members are not playing?

Names that come to mind are: Dalia Kagramanov, Dina Kagramanov, Alexandra Botez, Yelizaveta Orlova, Yuanling Yuan, Iulia Lacau, Jill Ding.

Norm
          Unfortunately, these young players seem to be quite busy :(. We sent invitations to all of them, but they had to decline. I know that some of them will be entering university next year and have quite a few things to do this summer. However, it is not too late for them to change their mind!

Comment

You guys should organize a blitz tournament during the event. Call it the Canadian Blitz Championships. That would be really neat. Maybe rate it FIDE blitz though not necessary. Just having a Canadian Blitz Championship would be five-star.

Comment

Re : Re: A truly Canadian championship

Originally posted by Andy Shaw View Post
              You guys should organize a blitz tournament during the event. Call it the Canadian Blitz Championships. That would be really neat. Maybe rate it FIDE blitz though not necessary. Just having a Canadian Blitz Championship would be five-star.
              I like the idea. However, we will need to look at how such a tournament could be successful. I imagine the participants would hope for more than just the Canadian Blitz Champion title as a reward :)

Comment

We ran such an event, in 2007 I believe, at the Closed.

$20 buy-in with 100% returned in prizes ought to work (I assume you already have the facility hehe). You can open it up to anyone who is Canadian, not just those playing in the Closed.
                Christopher Mallon
                FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Working...
                X