CFC-FQE entente

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CFC-FQE entente

For those interested in this agreement, make sure you read the postings on the French Chesstalk (use one of the many online translators if necessary). As well as the numerous postings against the agreement (mostly from the same one or two posters) - there is also a recent (very long) one in favour from an "non-elite" player.

My in-person survey of Montreal players continues - everyone I have spoken to is either in favour, or doesn't care (but the majority haven't heard of the agreement).

Re : CFC-FQE entente

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post

My in-person survey of Montreal players continues - everyone I have spoken to is either in favour, or doesn't care (but the majority haven't heard of the agreement).
    I had pretty much the same results. I found very few people opposed to this agreement, and most of the time it was simply because they had misunderstood it. However, as always, those who are in favour simply congratulate the FQE, while those opposed to it go on Chesstalk and try to rouse the masses :D

Comment

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
      I had pretty much the same results. I found very few people opposed to this agreement, and most of the time it was simply because they had misunderstood it. However, as always, those who are in favour simply congratulate the FQE, while those opposed to it go on Chesstalk and try to rouse the masses :D
      I will publish on Monday in HPE comments and names of those who have expressed their opposition to the deal. Those include a former FQE president (for 8 years) three arbiters, two or three chess clubs and a fair amount of individual stands from people all over Quebec, all that gathered during a vacation period where almost all chess clubs are closed for the summer! These are not hearsay... Of course in Montreal opinions are more divided because for half the chess population (apparently including Mr Dumont) to have a strong chess federation committed to provide services in french does not mean much. And furthermore people are not sufficiently informed yet. This deal has not even been presented yet in Echec+, the FQE magazine, and apparently will not be before it is rejected or accepted. This in itself is already a major flaw to a process that should lead to its rejection.

Comment

Re: Re : CFC-FQE entente

to have a strong chess federation committed to provide services in french does not mean much.
        Jean, would you be a person who is a link between the CFC and a French speaking players?

If anybody wants to speak about the CFC in Lithuanian, contact me :)

Comment

Re: CFC-FQE entente

Did the FQE endorse the agreement yet?

Comment

Re: CFC-FQE entente

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
            On the front page of the FQE website there appears the following:

(badly translated by Google, not moi):

"It was moved by Marc Poulin and seconded by Michel Roy ententte between the Quebec Chess Federation (FQE) and the Chess Federation of Canada (CFE), as amended to reflect the actions of the members, be accepted and signed by the Board of FQE the first in August 2012, provided that less than 15% of the voting members are not cast in favor of a consultative referendum in a book available from 24 to 31 July 2012.
            If more than 15% dees members sign the register, the FQE agrees to hold the said referendum before September 30, 2012."
            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Re : Re: CFC-FQE entente

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
              On the front page of the FQE website there appears the following:

(badly translated by Google, not moi):

"It was moved by Marc Poulin and seconded by Michel Roy ententte between the Quebec Chess Federation (FQE) and the Chess Federation of Canada (CFE), as amended to reflect the actions of the members, be accepted and signed by the Board of FQE the first in August 2012, provided that less than 15% of the voting members are not cast in favor of a consultative referendum in a book available from 24 to 31 July 2012.
              If more than 15% dees members sign the register, the FQE agrees to hold the said referendum before September 30, 2012."
              The deal has been amended by the FQE. This in all likelyhood means that it will have to be rediscussed by the governors and put out for voting once again, unless a referendum is held which, if it happens, will most probably kill the deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                For those interested in this agreement, make sure you read the postings on the French Chesstalk (use one of the many online translators if necessary). As well as the numerous postings against the agreement (mostly from the same one or two posters) - there is also a recent (very long) one in favour from an "non-elite" player.
                So far the count is the following. 34 people have expressed publicly their opposition to that deal either on «Parlons-Echecs" and quebecechecs.com (most of them) or in emails sent to me to be shown publicly. I can at any time show these names if needed. On the other side about 6 people have shown some support for the deal, including Dumont and Poulin. Outside the FQE board, among informed members, support is virtually non existent. So far english speaking montrealers have been silent. They just don't care about the FQE, but more importantly I think that they dont care much more about the CFC.
                Last edited by Jean Hébert; Friday, 20th July, 2012, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Re: CFC-FQE entente APPROVED BY BOTH SIDES

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
                  The FQE's board of governors just voted to unanimously support the agreement!

0 votes against this Agreement.

The CFC Board also voted overwhelmingly to support this agreement.

This is great news for the CFC, the FQE and for Chess in Canada! :D

Congratulations to all of those involved in coming together to make this happen!

Comment

Re : Re: CFC-FQE entente APPROVED BY BOTH SIDES

Originally posted by Mark S. Dutton, I.A. View Post

Congratulations to all of those involved in coming together to make this happen!
                    The FQE executive unanimously supported the agreement a couple of weeks ago. However, the representatives also had to support it. As Kerry pointed out, they support it, but with a few minor clarifications. They included the need for a player to take a membership from his territory (FQE for Quebec residents, CFC for Canadian residents). It was apparently the goal of the agreement, but was not clear enough. It should not change anything for the CFC governors, as the spirit and the result of the agreement is the same.

As Kerry showed though, if 15% of the FQE members wish a referendum, the FQE will hold one before September 30.

Comment

Re: CFC-FQE entente APPROVED BY BOTH SIDES

Where did you get this news? Did you read any of the rest of this thread?
                      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

The agreement has been modified by the FQE my friend, to create two kinds of CFC members : those from outside Québec who can play FQE events in Québec without FQE membership, and those residing in Quebec who cannot play FQE events without FQE membership. A minor but significant change in my opinion, which will effectively shut down the CFC membership in Québec. That could be a significant enough change to require another governor vote, and possibly a little bit of discussion. Who knows :) ? Otherwise the parties will have an agreement on different documents... which could make opting out rather easy. :) Frankly I would not object to a "deal" like that.
                        By the way, for curiosity, it has been stated by a FQE board member last night, as an answer to a question about opting out of the agreement, that if the deal proved to be unfavorable to us, simply stopping payments would put an end to it. This kind of thinking goes hand to hand with the FQE president description of the deal : a "living agreement" that will change all the time thanks to both parties "good faith".

Comment

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
                          As Kerry showed though, if 15% of the FQE members wish a referendum, the FQE will hold one before September 30.
                          What could be the question ? ;)

Comment

Re: Re : Re: CFC-FQE entente APPROVED BY BOTH SIDES

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                            The agreement has been modified by the FQE my friend, to create two kinds of CFC members : those from outside Québec who can play FQE events in Québec without FQE membership, and those residing in Quebec who cannot play FQE events without FQE membership. A minor but significant change in my opinion, which will effectively shut down the CFC membership in Québec. That could be a significant enough change to require another governor vote, and possibly a little bit of discussion. Who knows :) ? Otherwise the parties will have an agreement on different documents... which could make opting out rather easy. :) Frankly I would not object to a "deal" like that.
                            By the way, for curiosity, it has been stated by a FQE board member last night, as an answer to a question about opting out of the agreement, that if the deal proved to be unfavorable to us, simply stopping payments would put an end to it. This kind of thinking goes hand to hand with the FQE president description of the deal : a "living agreement" that will change all the time thanks to both parties "good faith".
                            How many CFC members are there now in Quebec? I never heard Quebec was a hotbed of CFC members but I could be wrong. If this deal is going to kill CFC membership in Quebec I don't think it would have to exert itself all that much.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: CFC-FQE entente APPROVED BY BOTH SIDES

Originally posted by Zeljko Kitich View Post
                              How many CFC members are there now in Quebec?
                              For 2012
                              Code:
                                            Family	Hon	Junior	LIFE	Adult	Total
                              Quebec 	QC	-	18	22	24	51	115

Comment

Working...
                              X