Allocation of Monies Donated to our Olympic Teams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allocation of Monies Donated to our Olympic Teams

I would be interested in understanding the CFC's priorities for the cash donated.

1) If $12,000 or so is received, both teams would go;

2) If only half of that is received (or at least an insufficient amount to pay for 2 teams), would only a single team go (or none?) and, if so, which team would that be?

Re: Allocation of Monies Donated to our Olympic Teams

Wouldn't that depend on whether the donors specified which team they wanted their donation to support.

If they don't say then I guess the CFC is free to decide.

Comment

The CFC is free to decide how it uses donations. Last I looked, donations cannot be tied, under Canadian Charitable Organization law, to a particular project. Of course, if the CFC took in money for "A" and voluntarily spent it on "B", it would have blown its credibility.

It seems logical to me that the National team would go first, but I am not making the decision. My larger concern would be that the money not involuntarily go to defending a law suit. It strikes me, and not for the first time, that Canada needs an independent (of the CFC) chess foundation / charity. USA has CITS and AF4C, and quite possibly other chess foundations. The money that an independent chess foundation raises would be immune from CFC travails.

Comment

Yes charitable donations can be specified for a particular project.

On our United Way donation sheets for work there is already pre-printed on the form as to whether you want your money to go to a particular organization or particular cause or particular project, such as after school progams for kids or womens shelters or a food bank.

People often also donate while alive or in their wills to places such as the Hamilton Community Foundation & specify what they want to support.

Same with scholarships, you dontate & can specify what program or achievement overall or in a particular course a student has to meet to be eligible for the scholarship.

Comment

Zeljko, I always wondered................

if the United Way could tell one that his/her cash would be allocated as requested and then simply move more of the general donations to compensate? OR, would they have to first allocate as requested and then only distribute the general amount as originally planned, thus ensuring that your request was met?

Comment

they would have to allocate as directed & then decide with their citizens panels how much to donate to each of the agencies requesting funds from the general funds remaining

I can check this with our 1st VP at the union hall as she's on the local united way board, united way in Hamilton started as a joint labour council - chamber of commerce community action

Comment

That is where I think there is a weakness......

So, the council sits down and sees a large amount is going to a specific cause. Now, they will make their decision on what is needed for the various places after the requested allocations. So, the place with all the requested allocations by the various donators will get cut back depending on the various needs around the table. This is what I was specifically wondering.

I appreciate that you will ask the question.

Comment

Still, if it is specified, at least you are ensuring that at least a minimum amount of cash (the donated money) is directed to the project in question, thus guaranteeing that the project in question gets some funding, and not no funding. If we donate $12,000 to the fund, then we guarantee that $12,000 will be there to spend on the Olympic team, rather than allocated to a general "pot" to be spent or mispent at a whim.

Comment

The United way works the way it does, I believe the constituent members all have charitable status and could receive money directly from donors. The CFC and its Olympic fund are not analogous.

Comment

No, campaiging for money directly from donors would defeat the purpose of it being a united United Way.

The point is there is no law in Canada that prevents donors to a charity stipulating what they want the money used for. Its then up to the organization to accept or decline the funds on that basis.

Whether its the United Way or a private foundation or an individual charity.

If someone gave the CFC $1000 and said I only want this used for the womens team and the CFC takes the money, the CFC can't argue they couldn't be legally bound by that request & spend it on the men's team instead or spend it on something entirely different.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeljko Kitich View Post

If someone gave the CFC $1000 and said I only want this used for the womens team and the CFC takes the money, the CFC can't argue they couldn't be legally bound by that request & spend it on the men's team instead or spend it on something entirely different.
                      If they decide not to send a team for any reason, do they have to give the money back or can the put it aside for a future Olympic? I've never heard of a charity giving back a donation.
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

that would be up to the donors, the CFC should be then stating they intend to use the funds for future women's olympiad teams & that any donor not satisfied with this can ask for their donation back or as well they should be contacting larger donors individually

charities do give money back, for example if they raise money for a new building but never get enough money to build it they would have to return it, especially a large donation if thats what the donor wants, if I donate $10000 for a new hospital building & it never materializes for years the money should be kept until the project does start or if it looks like it never will again the donor should be contacted or asked to approach the organization to decide if they want the donation back or used for some other related purpose, the charity is not allowed to spend it anyway they want just because they couldn't or didn't meet the original purpose

Comment

Actually, I think legally, unless there is a contract a charity can spend money as it chooses.

Comment

There is no such thing as a contract with a charity for a donation.

A contract amongst other things must have consideration for both sides to be binding & a donor has no consideration, that's the point its a donation you are not getting anything for.

Unless its a large amount of money & the charity relied on it for a major project & already started or completed the project, such as a building, a charity can't successfully sue to have a court enforce a donation pledge.

There is a famous case re Brantford hospital where a long time donor made a large pledge but the donor died & there was nothing in the will before the money was handed over, the hospital lost the case.

Under charity law as regulated by Revenue Canada & the charitable status you are required to use money for what it was intended & if you don't, don't expect anyone to donate to you again.

Comment

I remember that Brantford case.. of course it was such a small part of the guy's estate everyone thinks quite poorly of his relatives now for keeping it. And I don't even think the hospital was the only one to lose money on that.
                              Christopher Mallon
                              FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Working...
                              X