X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Ottawa Autumn Open

Originally posted by Louis Morin View Post
    Mr. Mallon

You are a CFC governor, aren't you? So you want to abolish the FQE. Hmmm... Are you really serious? Are you speaking on behalf of the CFC? Do you realize how triumphant will be our good friend Jean Hebert when he will read this?
    It doesn't make me triumphant Louis. Actually being proven right all the time is a terrible burden on my shoulder ;). Frankly I'd rather be wrong at times. Nothing would make me happier than be able to say : I was certain it wouldn't work but I was wrong, it does work.
    No formal deal should have been signed with the CFC, and none should ever be signed again in the future. The last 30 years have shown that both federations can work together on their own free will when mutually profitable, without signing binding and complicated deals subordinating one federation to the other, crippling one to please the other.
    Two strong federations is the best possible scenario for chess in Canada. Now with the current deal we have two weak ones.
    Last edited by Jean Hébert; Monday, 3rd September, 2012, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Ottawa Autumn Open

Originally posted by Matthew Scott View Post
      Reminds me of a Quebec comedian once remarking:
      Man, I sure hope Quebec separates, I can't stand another one of these Canadian winters.

:p
      Nice! :)
      Christopher Mallon
      FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
        No formal deal should have been signed with the CFC, and none should ever be signed again in the future.
        Actually such a deal is not my idea, and I could easily have lived without it. Imagine that some Quebec player shows up at a Toronto event, and some friendly organizer like Mr. Mallon is given the task to check his FQE membership, collect the money and send it to the FQE. What will I do when I never receive the money and the player complains to me?

This is why I do not want CFC organizers to be in charge of FQE memberships, this would be completely suicidal for the deal. Let's allow Quebec players to play in CFC events without being CFC members, and Canadian players to play in FQE events without being FQE members. Anything more complicated than that will simply not work.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Ottawa Autumn Open

Actually such a deal is not my idea, and I could easily have lived without it. Imagine that some Quebec player shows up at a Toronto event, and some friendly organizer like Mr. Mallon is given the task to check his FQE membership, collect the money and send it to the FQE. What will I do when I never receive the money and the player complains to me?

This is why I do not want CFC organizers to be in charge of FQE memberships, this would be completely suicidal for the deal. Let's allow Quebec players to play in CFC events without being CFC members, and Canadian players to play in FQE events without being FQE members. Anything more complicated than that will simply not work.
          Perhaps for certain special cases - major events close to Quebec such as next year's Canadian Open - someone certified by the FQE could be present to collect memberships?
          Christopher Mallon
          FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
            Perhaps for certain special cases - major events close to Quebec such as next year's Canadian Open - someone certified by the FQE could be present to collect memberships?
            Perhaps the Organizers of next year's Canadian Open could figure that out with the FQE? ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
              Perhaps the Organizers of next year's Canadian Open could figure that out with the FQE? ;)
              Perhaps they could, if any of them happened to read my not-so-subtle hint :)
              Christopher Mallon
              FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Ottawa Autumn Open

Perhaps ...
                For a while the magical word(s) was "bonne foi". Then it became "living agreement" as if a binding three year contract could be modified every other week. Now we are down to "perhaps"... I wonder what the next one will be. :)

Comment

You are quite right Louis. However I find the situation rather... hum... mind boggling. It is supposed to be an exchange of services when in reality it appears to be : I don't collect your memberships for you and you don't collect mine. You are going to lose some membership revenues but so will we, and everyone will be happy. Fine exchange of services...
                  Every FQE adult membership sold brings 9$ into the CFC coffers. Why wouldn't the CFC organizers take on a little trouble to finance their federation and its international program by selling the odd FQE membership ? That, is an exchange of services! Of course the opposite would not be true. An FQE organizer selling a CFC membership would get nothing for the FQE so this is out of question, I believe.
                  By the way you make it sound as if it is your decision to mistrust the CFC organizers to collect FQE memberships, rather than the FQE's. Do you really have such power making decisions ?

Comment

Re: Ottawa Autumn Open

I am really surprise how people can make something relatively simple so complicated.
                    It is clearly the onus of the player of the FQE playing in a CFC tournament to demonstrate that he is a member of the FQE.(and vice versa). If he cannot demonstrate it, then the organiser should sell him a tournament passport. Practicaly speaking, if later on, during the tournament, the said player can demonstrate his membership, then the organiser should give him his money back.
                    Playing in another federations' tournament is a priviledge granted by the agreement but the player who wants to take advantage of it should be the one demontrating that he is entitled to it... Similarly, if you were to go in a foreign country that does not require a visa because you are a Canadian citizen, it is your resposibility to demonstrate that you have the proper documentation.
                    At the same time, we should not expect the CFC's organizers to sell FQE membership nor FQE organizers to sell CFC membership. The players who want to take advantage of their priviledges should make sure that they are in proper standing with their respective federations. It is that simple.

Comment

Jean Hebert is entitled to his own opinions, but has nothing to do with the FQE and is definitely not a FQE spokesman. Nobody at the FQE expect that people organizing a CFC tournament in Ontario, BC, Nova Scotia or Whatever should have the trouble of selling FQE memberships. Of course they won't have to. If a Quebec resident shows up and realizes that he forgot to renew his FQE membership, who cares? Just take his entry fee and let him play, he will renew when he'll be back in Quebec.
                      actually as an organizer, I would hope that there would be a link from the CFC membership page to the FQE membership database + a list of the relevant FQE fees. I would also hope that I could send the money along with everything else to the CFC (and that the CFC would take care of the interaction with the FQE). Vice versa for a Quebec organizer I suppose.

Comment

Perhaps they could, if any of them happened to read my not-so-subtle hint :)
                        Perhaps you can catch my maybe-too-subtle hint, that YOU NOT speak on their behalf?! ;)

Comment

Re : Re: Ottawa Autumn Open

Originally posted by Marc Poulin View Post
                          I am really surprise how people can make something relatively simple so complicated.
                          It is clearly the onus of the player of the FQE playing in a CFC tournament to demonstrate that he is a member of the FQE.(and vice versa). If he cannot demonstrate it, then the organiser should sell him a tournament passport...
                          In trying to make things simpler than they actually are, you simply fail to take your own federation interests into account. To whose advantage is it to sell a tournament passport instead of a FQE membership (of which, don't forget, 9$ eventually go to the CFC) ? In one case the FQE collects a membership (well, what's now left of it), in the case of a tournament passport, nothing. Is that how you plan to simplify things from now on ? Nothing for the FQE and the rest for the CFC ?
                          For CFC organizers is it really that much more complicated to sell a FQE membership than a tournament passport ? Give them a least a chance to show their good faith... People showing up at a tournament should be able to buy what they need to play, whether a CFC or FQE membership.
                          And by the way how is the "trust fund" that is supposed to manage FQE money handed to the CFC for international expenses going ? Who is sitting on this committee ? Because the way I understand the "deal", no money can be spent without approval from this committee. How come nothing yet has been announced regarding this "relatively simple" but important issue ? If you are looking for volunteers to sit on it, I have a couple of suggestions... ;)
                          Besides that, can you confirm nonetheless that no money yet has been paid to the CFC (as clearly stated in the deal, first payment is due only in 2013) and consequently that no FQE money has been spent on this year's olympic team ?

Comment

If a Quebec resident shows up and realizes that he forgot to renew his FQE membership, who cares? Just take his entry fee and let him play, he will renew when he'll be back in Quebec.
                            What makes you so sure he would want to ever be back in Quebec?

Come to think of it, that could be the REAL reason Jean Hebert is against the deal.
                            Only the rushing is heard...
                            Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
                              What makes you so sure he would want to ever be back in Quebec?
                              So you are another Canadian from the ROC who does not like Quebec? Not surprising, there are so many...

Comment

Re: Ottawa Autumn Open

The Canada - Quebec debate reminds me of that South Park episode where Canada goes on strike and nobody cares because it impacts no one in the world.

In the end, Canada stopped striking and received free bubblegum and coupons to Bennigans as compensation. They lost more than 10.4 billion dollars by not working during the strike, rofl.

Quebec seems to Canada what Canada was to the rest of the World in that episode.

Comment

Working...
                                X