Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re : Re: Ottawa Autumn Open

Originally posted by Halldor P. Palsson View Post
    In practice TDs on the ground are going CFC=FQE. The finer points on this are simply lost on us.

In practice the points raised in this debate have little practical significance for working TDs. If you are a CFC member you pop up in the CFC membership database that we download and use with Swiss Sys.

How can I check for FQE memberships when you register for my tournament? Do these folks carry an FQE card?

Can the CFC database file include the FQE guys as members?
    I work at the FQE, I rate FQE tournaments and I mail FQE membership cards. But most of all, I like to keep things simple. Obviously, it is not practical for a CFC organizer to check FQE memberships, and even less to sell them. And it would not be practical for me to process a FQE membership bought in a another province, since the CFC organizer who collected the money does not know the FQE and will have absolutely no idea of what to do next. So why do it? When a Quebec player shows up at your tournament, if he can show his FQE membership card, fine! If not, let him play anyway, in all likelihood he will renew his FQE membership when he will play in his next FQE tournament in Quebec.

You know, the CFC-FQE agreement is a goodwill agreement. It will never work if we introduce numerous complications in the process. A Quebec player shows up at your tournament? Do not bother if he is a FQE member or not, just let him play without having to pay for a CFC membership. Simple, so simple!

Comment

Re : Re: Ottawa Autumn Open

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
      This might sound plausible, but in practice onsite, with no internet access, it proves more difficult. I have sent some proposals to Michael and Richard, essentially hoping for some kind of automatic merger of current FQE members into the Swiss Sys DB file! :)
      I work at the FQE, I rate FQE tournaments and I mail FQE membership cards. But most of all, I like to keep things simple. Obviously, it is not practical for a CFC organizer to check FQE memberships, and even less to sell them. And it would not be practical for me to process a FQE membership bought in a another province, since the CFC organizer who collected the money does not know the FQE and will have absolutely no idea of what to do next. So why do it? When a Quebec player shows up at your tournament, if he can show his FQE membership card, fine! If not, let him play anyway, in all likelihood he will renew his FQE membership when he will play in his next FQE tournament in Quebec.

You know, the CFC-FQE agreement is a goodwill agreement. It will never work if we introduce numerous complications in the process. A Quebec player shows up at your tournament? Do not bother if he is a FQE member or not, just let him play without having to pay for a CFC membership. Simple, so simple!

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Ottawa Autumn Open

Originally posted by Louis Morin View Post

I commend you for your faith in human nature!

I suspect that there are several CFC tournament organizers who can recount how many times they let someone play because they claimed "they just rejoined the CFC" or "they were going to do so as soon as they get home" and then the organizer was stuck big time when the tournament is submitted for rating and (surprise) several people are not members.

In this day an age, it should NOT be a problem to prove membership (by being on a downloadable list with expiry dates) or pay on the spot...

By the way: do you rate FQE events that include people who are not members? If not, how long is the event rating delayed waiting to sort out the membership payment(s)?
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: Ottawa Autumn Open

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
          By the way: do you rate FQE events that include people who are not members? If not, how long is the event rating delayed waiting to sort out the membership payment(s)?

Yes, I rate FQE events even when they include people who are not members. What I do is to send a bill to the organizer, asking him to pay for all FQE memberships that he forgot to collect. If the organizer does not comply, he will not be allowed to organize a FQE-rated tournament anymore.

But for non-FQE events held in Ontario or elsewhere, things are completely different. If a player calls me at the FQE and claims that he paid his FQE membership to some CFC organizer I never heard of, how will I get the money? It would be an incredible waste of time and energy to try to solve all kinds of problems that may crop up. This is why I suggest that CFC organizers should not be asked to check or collect FQE memberships.

And anyway, think about it. Let's suppose for a moment that a Quebec player plays in a CFC event without being a FQE member. Why should I care? Do you really believe that I should go every day on the CFC website, print all CFC newly rated events and check for Quebec players who played without being FQE members? Do you think I have time for this?

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Ottawa Autumn Open

Yes, I rate FQE events even when they include people who are not members. What I do is to send a bill to the organizer, asking him to pay for all FQE memberships that he forgot to collect. If the organizer does not comply, he will not be allowed to organize a FQE-rated tournament anymore.

But for non-FQE events held in Ontario or elsewhere, things are completely different. If a player calls me at the FQE and claims that he paid his FQE membership to some CFC organizer I never heard of, how will I get the money? It would be an incredible waste of time and energy to try to solve all kinds of problems that may crop up. This is why I suggest that CFC organizers should not be asked to check or collect FQE memberships.

And anyway, think about it. Let's suppose for a moment that a Quebec player plays in a CFC event without being a FQE member. Why should I care? Do you really believe that I should go every day on the CFC website, print all CFC newly rated events and check for Quebec players who played without being FQE members? Do you think I have time for this?
            And this right here is why the whole "agreement" makes absolutely no sense. It would be much simpler to abolish the FQE and stick with a national organization for ratings - but that would make life far too simple for everyone and, as usual, Quebec has to be "special".

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Scott View Post
              And this right here is why the whole "agreement" makes absolutely no sense. It would be much simpler to abolish the FQE and stick with a national organization for ratings - but that would make life far too simple for everyone and, as usual, Quebec has to be "special".
              Hopefully that is where we are headed, via baby steps.

EDIT: I misread Matthew's post as "It would be much simpler to abolish the FQE ratings and stick with a national organization for ratings ..." so please take my post in that context.
              Last edited by Christopher Mallon; Monday, 3rd September, 2012, 07:14 AM.
              Christopher Mallon
              FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Ottawa Autumn Open

It would be much simpler to abolish the FQE and stick with a national organization for ratings - but that would make life far too simple for everyone and, as usual, Quebec has to be "special".
                Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
                Mr. Mallon

You are a CFC governor, aren't you? So you want to abolish the FQE. Hmmm... Are you really serious? Are you speaking on behalf of the CFC? Do you realize how triumphant will be our good friend Jean Hebert when he will read this?

Comment

I'm just not convinced that it works to take little steps when one party views it as a step towards amalgamation and another views it as a step towards recognizing fundamentally different yet equal.

Of course, in a micro-chasm, this is the history of English Canada and French Canada relations over the past fifty years. I do look forward to the upcoming governance of Quebec though being a separatist party once more. It will be fantastically interesting to see the interplay between the Federal Conservative's desire to appease the P.Q. and not simultaneously alienate their Western base. Sadly, though, my observation digress from the topic of this thread, which was... Oh right, entitlement and special privileges.

Carry on.

Mr. Mallon

You are a CFC governor, aren't you? So you want to abolish the FQE. Hmmm... Are you really serious? Are you speaking on behalf of the CFC? Do you realize how triumphant will be our good friend Jean Hebert when he will read this?
                  Probablement excité à la perspective d'avoir à se lamenter à encore autre imaginaire l'injustice envers le Québec. On est surpris qu'il n'ait rien de mieux à faire avec son temps.
                  Last edited by Matthew Scott; Monday, 3rd September, 2012, 12:23 AM.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Ottawa Autumn Open

Mr. Mallon

Louis,

I also cringed at Mr. Mallon's comments. Chris is one of approximately 60 governors, no one governor speaks on behalf of the CFC.

Bob

Comment

Ditto

Bob A

Comment

Mr. Mallon

I'm sorry, I misread it as "abolish the FQE ratings" not "abolish the FQE" - since the whole thread is talking about ratings and memberships, and he follows that up with "stick with a national organization for ratings" ...

So to recap: Yes we should head towards a single national rating system, No I don't think the FQE needs abolishing.
                        Christopher Mallon
                        FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Probablement excité à la perspective d'avoir à se lamenter à encore autre imaginaire l'injustice envers le Québec. On est surpris qu'il n'ait rien de mieux à faire avec son temps.
                          Especially with the big election tomorrow... after all if Quebec *were* to separate then he'd get the FQE-FIDE affiliation that he wants!

Not that I think Quebec will ever actually separate, at least not in the near future. I've heard some interesting stories about what some people had planned for the day after the 1995 referendum in the case of a victory by the separatists...
                          Christopher Mallon
                          FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Hi Chris:

Whew!!

Bob A

Comment

Especially with the big election tomorrow... after all if Quebec *were* to separate then he'd get the FQE-FIDE affiliation that he wants!

Not that I think Quebec will ever actually separate, at least not in the near future. I've heard some interesting stories about what some people had planned for the day after the 1995 referendum in the case of a victory by the separatists...
                              Reminds me of a Quebec comedian once remarking:
                              Man, I sure hope Quebec separates, I can't stand another one of these Canadian winters.

:p

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Ottawa Autumn Open

I'm sorry, I misread it as "abolish the FQE ratings" not "abolish the FQE" - since the whole thread is talking about ratings and memberships, and he follows that up with "stick with a national organization for ratings" ...

So to recap: Yes we should head towards a single national rating system, No I don't think the FQE needs abolishing.
                                Abolishing the FQE would now mean a serious loss a revenue for the CFC... don't do that :). Just cripple it enough (well under way...) so that it becomes meaningless (without ratings or relevance), but keep it wriggling so that it continues to deliver some $$$. ;)

Comment

Working...
                                X