Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cogeco email

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
    Yes. I have several different email accounts and they typically say they are customer care for whatever domain your email is. The slightly higher-end ones will include the logo of the company.
    The three or four times that I have been contacted have been over the phone and they had no idea who my provider was. The first time was before these type of hackers were well publicized but I didn't need a warning to realize these guys were up to no good.

CALLER: I am calling from your ISP. Your computer is infected with a virus and is sending out email.

ME: Thanks. I'll look into that.
    <CLICK> I hang up.

Phone rings again.

ME: Hello.

CALLER: I am calling from your ISP. Your computer is infected with a virus and is sending out email full of viruses.

ME: I have many computers. What is the IP address of the computer that has a problem?

CALLER: Ummm....

ME: I have several ISPs. Which one are you calling from?

CALLER: Ummm... I can help you fix your problem at our website.

ME: Excellent! I will go right there.

<Click> I hang up. Of course he hasn't given me the website link and I wouldn't use it if he had.

Phone rings again.

ME: I'm glad you called back. The RCMP and FBI technicians told me I should keep you on the phone longer this time...

<Click>

Comment

Re: Cogeco email

Yup. I usually just hang up on them but one time my wife decided to have some fun. She acted completely empty-headed and made them describe every single button she had to click. After about 5 minutes of that (they are probably giddy with excitement over fooling someone) she suddenly exclaims "WOW! You DID it! The virus is gone! Totally Awesome!" and then just sits there silently while the guy is trying to figure out what to say next.
      Christopher Mallon
      FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Working...
      X