Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USCF three fold repetition rule different than CFC, FIDE

Originally posted by Claude Carrier View Post
    How can I write Nf3 if I have'nt moved the knight there??? That's illegal, it's taking notes.
    You should re-read rules.

Comment

How can I write Nf3 if I have'nt moved the knight there??? That's illegal, it's taking notes.
      It's not illegal. The Laws of Chess (bolding is mine) state:

9.2 The game is drawn upon a correct claim by the player having the move, when the same position, for at least the third time (not necessarily by a repetition of moves): a. is about to appear, if he first writes his move on his scoresheet and declares to the arbiter his intention to make this move.

Comment

Are you guys saying that I can normally write my move before playing it?

Thanks for clarifying how to make the claim, I'm now sure about how to do it if you are the arbiter, as for other arbiters I would need an answer to my question above, as it seems 2 rules contradict each other.
        I still think it is unnatural and subject to exploitation a la Sapozhnikov to disconcertate and trick the oponent.

Comment

Are you guys saying that I can normally write my move before playing it?
          Normally no. For three-fold, 50-move - you must write before.
          Imho, it is prevent an immediate answer by your opponent, let say in a time trouble when an opponent does not wait till you stop your clock.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
            Normally no. For three-fold, 50-move - you must write before.
            Imho, it is prevent an immediate answer by your opponent, let say in a time trouble when an opponent does not wait till you stop your clock.
            Perhaps also to avoid the potential situation where someone stops their clock -intending to claim a 3-fold repetition- summons the arbiter and while waiting, discovers a much better move (while having free thinking time) and then recants!

Writing the intended move cements the draw claim.
            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

I'll claim the draw the way you guys wrote it in all cases then.

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
              Normally no.
              That emphasizes my point that it is unnatural.

Comment

I'll claim the draw the way you guys wrote it in all cases then.

That emphasizes my point that it is unnatural.
                Well, it is simply an exception to the normal rule that you cannot write your move in advance on the scoresheet. It is not unusual to have some exceptions to rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                  Well, it is simply an exception to the normal rule that you cannot write your move in advance on the scoresheet.
                  I would'nt call an exeption simple when we would'nt naturally follow it, moreover, it is in a complicated rulebook that nobody reads, it's just a game we play on occasion.
                  Last edited by Claude Carrier; Sunday, 9th September, 2012, 08:17 PM.

Comment

I would'nt call an exeption simple when we would'nt naturally follow it, moreover, it is in a complicated rulebook that nobody reads, it's just a game we play on occasion.

I agree.

edit: have'nt you got the point that the rule has become more complicated for unjust reasons? Altought I'm still not 100% sure about it as I've writen above, see the sofia-type rules.
                    If you don't read the rule book, why do you care what it says? I don't agree "the rule has become more complicated for unjust reasons". The rule is straight forward and clear.

Comment

Last edited by Claude Carrier; Sunday, 9th September, 2012, 08:16 PM.

Comment

It is questionnable if you would either agree that we should have a rule that make sense to the majority, or rather agree to use a rule to pester a few players and making them play on in positions they don't want to play, disregarding the majority in the process.
                        We should have rules that makes sense. Who was talking about making people play on when they don't want to?

If we should try the following experiment: have someone who does'nt know the rule make a 3 fold repetition and claim a draw, don't you think it is highly probable that he will press on his clock when making the last move, as he always does?

My questionable friend, do you contest that most people would naturally make their move that way?
                        I guess this is natural. Trouble is, having made the move and pressed the clock it's not his turn any more. Then his opponent finds a brilliant move to obtain a winning position. This might seem unfair to the opponent that if he now claims a draw. I don't see a simple solution to this problem.

Consequently, would'nt you agree that "while the draw is on the board" should include the moment after pressing his clock, before his own next move, regardless of any tricks the opponent might try?
                        As a player, I would allow this of my opponent.

As a rule designer, you must make the rules so there is a clear correct way that serious players can clearly follow, because you know many players will fuss if they feel cheated.

Or perhaps you would like to burden the majority with a rule that only serves to make a few players play in positions they don't want to?
                        Sorry, how does the rule force players to play on if they want to stop?
                        Edit: you must mean the French rule from the other thread? I am against that rule.
                        Last edited by Alan Baljeu; Friday, 7th September, 2012, 09:38 PM.

Comment

You sound like a courteous player.

Originally posted by Alan Baljeu View Post

Sorry, how does the rule force players to play on if they want to stop?
                          Edit: you must mean the French rule from the other thread? I am against that rule.
                          with all these threads I can't find where someone mentionned that the rules had been changed to accomodate sofia type rules...Some people argued that the phrasing of the rulebook forbade such sofia-type rules in case of three fold repetition or something...I'm still not 100% sure about it.

Comment

You sound like a courteous player.
                            What is your job?

Comment

Why do you ask me that with the above quote??

Originally posted by Andy Shaw View Post
                              What is your job Claude?

Originally posted by Kevin Me View Post
                              Why would you ask someone to disclose potentially private information here?

You are obviously poorly educated in the scholarly sense (no understanding of grade 10 probability) and in the social sense. I hope you're banned soon.

Comment

Why do you ask me that with the above quote??
                                Because you never answered me.

Comment

Working...
                                X