Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: FIDE is in CHARGE

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
    That's where the membership money should go. Not $18,000 on a website which is no better than the old one. If that was how the money was spent even I would pay for a membership!
    Membership money was not (directly) spent on the website; that was money left over from sale of the building.

However, we are spending $18,000 per year on the newsletter. In the budget for the upcoming year, that amounts to 100% of our program spending. I've tried a couple of times to start a conversation amongst governors about other possibilities for some/all of this money, although nobody seems interested in talking about it.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Bob Armstrong: The newsletter is fine and good, but only the start of what I'm saying. There's way too much chess happening to even think of covering it all in a newsletter.

The website is part one of a tool for collecting and distributing information nationally. It will take lots of work and lots of ideas from lots of people to reach the possibility. But tell what's going on, give useful information, connect people to groups and events locally, and publicize the big events nationally, and help everyone raise the profile of chess in the general public. There is no way the CFC can do this, but it can become a hub that helps people collectively do this of their own initiative.

Roger: completely agreed.

Comment

The national Federation is in charge in a country with 56 000 licensed Chess players. There is nothing wrong about the Federation being in charge and when I compare the CFC with other Federations, I realize that the CFC is not sufficiently in charge.

For example, here are the Canadian Soccer association (CSA) members obligations. To change to the chess equivalent, replace FIFA by FIDE, CONCACAF by the FIDE Condtiental Association and CSA by CFC. The move to the new new non-profit Act is a great occasion to improve. That does not means that I approve everything in the CSA constitution. Parts of it seems to have been inspired by the Laws of France and are clearly illegal in Quebec.

A Member of The CSA has the following obligations:
        a) to respect and prevent any infringement of the statutes, by-laws, and rules and regulations of FIFA, CONCACAF, and The CSA at all times and to ensure that these are also respected by CSA Members;

b) to ensure the election or duly authorized appointments to its decision-making bodies;

c) to take part in competitions (if applicable) and other sports activities organized by The CSA;

d) to meet all its financial obligations to The CSA;

e) to comply with the Laws of the Game as laid down by IFAB and to ensure that these are also complied with by its Members;

f) to adopt a statutory clause specifying that any dispute requiring arbitration involving itself or one of its Members and relating to the statutes, by-laws, regulations, directives and decisions of FIFA, CONCACAF, The CSA or the Leagues shall come solely under the jurisdiction of the appropriate Arbitration Tribunal of FIFA, CONCACAF, The CSA, or Provincial/Territorial Association Members and that any recourse to Ordinary Courts is prohibited;

g) to communicate annually to The CSA any amendment of its by-laws and
        rules and regulations as well as the list of its officials or persons who are authorized
        signatories with the right to enter into legally binding agreements with third parties;

h) to have no relationships of a sporting nature with entities that are not recognized by The CSA or with Members that have been suspended or expelled;

i) to observe the principles of loyalty, integrity and good sporting behaviour as an expression of fair play in its by-laws;

j) to observe the mandatory items specified under Section 13.2 for the duration of their affiliation;

k) to administer a registry of Members which shall regularly be updated;
        l) to comply fully with all other duties arising from the statutes, by-laws and rules and regulations of FIFA, CONCACAF and The CSA.
        Last edited by Pierre Denommee; Monday, 24th September, 2012, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Hi Alan:

I'm not sure if you checked the link I gave you to the CFC " News " Forum. We use that to supplement the Canadian Chess News ( CCN ), the CFC e-newsletter. And all news posts are reproduced on the CFC Website, and on the CFC Facebook page.

Between the two, we have given coverage to all major events across the country, I think. Also many local tournaments ( check out the smaller tournaments I've noted in the news blurbs ).

Not saying we're doing OK, just that we are doing some of it. We'll keep trying!!

Bob, CFC Public Relations Coordinator.

Comment

Mr. Zeromskis, since when did you believe it was international? On my chess engine, I'm getting some help from friends in Britain, is my chess engine international per se?

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse Wang View Post
              Mr. Zeromskis, since when did you believe it was international? On my chess engine, I'm getting some help from friends in Britain, is my chess engine international per se?
              Does your engine separate knights and their horses?

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
                The Chess in the Libraries has also gone west somewhat. I believe they have some participation from Calgary, if I'm not mistaken.
                And FURTHERMORE, I did not say the money should only go to C in the L project.
                I would also be in favour of an annual grant to the Paul Keres Memorial tournament, for example. In other words, ANY group in Canada that created a beneficial event for chess should be supported. This would encourage local and regional initiatives to benefit chess. The Governors or a sub-committee could allocate the funds as they saw fit.
                The Keres Memorial does just fine without CFC support. In fact we support the CFC by offering free CFC memberships to new players.
                Paul Leblanc
                Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Working...
                X