Mississauga Chess Club is #1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mississauga Chess Club is #1

With over 120 kids and over 40 adults playing every week. No doubt that MCC leads any club in Canada in terms of active playing members. Constantly growing and beyond.

http://www.mississaugachessclub.ca/index.html

Congratulations!!!

Re: Mississauga Chess Club is #1

Originally posted by Mark Biong View Post
    With over 120 kids and over 40 adults playing every week. No doubt that MCC leads any club in Canada in terms of active playing members. Constantly growing and beyond.

Congratulations!!!
    Congratulations, MCC!
    Marcus Wilker
    Annex Chess Club
    Toronto, Ontario

Comment

Ditto!!

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Biong View Post

Congratulations!!!
        Hi Mark, it is great to see you and a few other returning members back for our club championship.

In the interests of full disclosure, attendance last week was only 116 kids, 36 adults, for a total of 146 (after deducting 6 duplicates). After reaching a record attendance of 150 in the previous week, we were actually a little disappointed. :( Maybe we do better this week! ;)

Comment

6 kids were also adults? How did that happen?

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Baljeu View Post
            6 kids were also adults? How did that happen?
            To clarify, 6 of the kids who attended the junior club at 7pm went up the stairs at 8pm to attend the adult club. When I say 36 adults, I really mean 36 people attended the adult club.

Roughly half of our adult club are actually juniors. Some of our juniors no longer attend the junior club as they have graduated to the adult club, so to speak.
            Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Tuesday, 2nd October, 2012, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
              To clarify, 6 of the kids who attended the junior club at 7pm went up the stairs at 8pm to attend the adult club. When I say 36 adults, I really mean 36 people attended the adult club.

Roughly half of our adult club are actually juniors. Some of our juniors no longer attend the junior club as they have graduated to the adult club, so to speak.
              We had about 36 "adults" last night at Annex CC, which is normal for us or slightly on the low side; but although we have quite a number of kids as well in their own classes and tournaments (maybe around 40), it's nowhere near your 120. How did the Mississauga kids' programme get so huge? Is it still growing? And what about the adults? Do you often get new adult members as well?
              Marcus Wilker
              Annex Chess Club
              Toronto, Ontario

Comment

Originally posted by Marcus Wilker View Post
                We had about 36 "adults" last night at Annex CC, which is normal for us or slightly on the low side; but although we have quite a number of kids as well in their own classes and tournaments (maybe around 40), it's nowhere near your 120. How did the Mississauga kids' programme get so huge? Is it still growing? And what about the adults? Do you often get new adult members as well?
                How did we get so big? Lots and lots and lots of volunteer effort, and patience. It took years, tinkering with the program, trying new ideas, and admitting our mistakes along the way. I wrote an article for CNN back in the fall of 2010 (I believe), which charted our progress to that point. I would like to write a follow up article, but I never seem to find the time.

The single most important thing we have learned, is just let the kids have fun. Having fun is what we stress, not teaching. We do give the kids some limited instruction, but mostly they learn by just playing.

Marcus, you are welcome to come visit us any thursday to see the program in action for yourself. Annex is a new club and already has 40 kids! Excellent, maybe I should come visit you for some tips! :D

Comment

I think we need to compare apples to oranges here - an annual membership at the Mississauga club cost $30 compared to the Annex club at $190. Also the Annex club on any given Monday will have a half dozen players over 2200 in rating playing the rated tournament and a handful of strong expert/ master strength players playing casual chess.

Comment

Results after Round 1

SwissSys Standings. Annex CC Autumn Colours Swiss: Premier
                    # Name CFC ID Rating Rd 1 Total

1 Michael Humphreys 131628 2269 W10 1.0
                    2 Geordie Derraugh 132393 2235 W12 1.0
                    3 David Southam 102535 2206 W13 1.0
                    4 Wajdy Shebetah 148432 2155 W14 1.0
                    5 Daniel Wiebe 132137 2028 W15 1.0
                    6 Zehn Nasir 148198 1915 W11 1.0
                    7 Rolando Renteria 152626 2229 B— 1.0
                    8 Pavel Peev 122223 2216 H— 0.5

7 players over 2000 - Annex CC is doing well!

Bob A

Comment

Drkulec, Coleman: We need a strategy to overtake these guys. What do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Beal View Post
                        ... the Annex club on any given Monday will have a half dozen players over 2200 in rating playing the rated tournament and a handful of strong expert/ master strength players playing casual chess.
                        Whereas, the Mississauga Junior Club had over 3 dozen players rated under 400 playing last week! :D We don't claim to be the strongest club, just the biggest. Or more precisely, the Biggest weakest club! :D

Greg, your post serves to illustrate a problem I see in organized chess in Canada.
                        IMHO, too many organizers/politicians/activists/critics are focused exclusively on developing strong players. Some rely on the belief that, if we can just produce the next Fischer or Carlsen, then we will be flooded with new members and sponsors.

I take a different approach. I believe our salvation is in bringing chess to mainstream Canada. At the Mississauga Junior club we are bringing a positive enjoyable experience to as many kids as we can. Hopefully this will translate into more adult players of all strengths later on. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Baljeu View Post
                          Drkulec, Coleman: We need a strategy to overtake these guys. What do you think?
                          Ah, you young guys are so competitive. Windsor events are always full, so the first thing we would need is more space, more volunteers, etc. Hearing the noise level in the Wednesday club, the Thursday club, the Friday Knights, etc, would you really want to be in a club with 100+ kids?

We would need more ear plugs.

Comment

Kudos to the Mississauga Club for introducing chess to a large number of kids.

I think you can certainly lay claim to being the "Largest" club. The Annex club is probably a lot smaller in playing area with higher operating cost due to location (downtown Toronto). I believe the Annex Club could lay claim to being #1 based on a combination of qualitative and quantitative features regarding members (a good mix of strong players and upcoming junior players).

At any rate a healthy competitive environment for competing clubs is good for the future of chess in Canada.

Comment

Canada's Strongest Club?

Hi Greg:

It seems that now Annex CC and Scarborough CC are relatively similar in terms of strength ( with Annex CC having a " slight " edge ):

Annex CC Top Section ( there are 3 sections ) - 15 players; 7 players 2000 and over.
                              Scarborough CC Top Section ( there are 3 sections ) - 19 players; 5 players 2000 and over.

It will be interesting to see how our stats compare as the 2012-3 season proceeds.

I'm not sure how the Ottawa RA club compares in terms of strength - I think they run theirs as one single section swiss. Maybe someone could advise. How many players 2000 or over do they have in their tournament?

Bob A, SCC Member

Comment

Working...
                              X