Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ccn

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    It is hidden well. The indirect way: on the main (home) page click on a magazine cover or a direct link

http://www.chess.ca/cfc-newsletter-archive
    From the top menu the choice of NEWS would be a good starting point.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Ccn

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
      Please tell us more. To me "provocative" can be good, can be bad, or anywhere in the middle.
      Jean, you can read it yourself. Even if you don't receive the link (which as a CFC member you should), you can just go to the website, as this month's CCN is viewable by all.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
        Jean, you can read it yourself. Even if you don't receive the link (which as a CFC member you should), you can just go to the website, as this month's CCN is viewable by all.
        Where exactly?? (a link please) because when I go to the newsletter-archives
        (at http://www.chess.ca/cfc-newsletter-archive )
        it says the current issue (September-October) is for members only and it is not a link.
        Last edited by Kerry Liles; Wednesday, 24th October, 2012, 09:38 PM. Reason: what I think is the current issue
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Hi Fred:

Seems it is wrongly designated. See Kerry's post below.

Bob A

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: Ccn

Fred, of course I have read the article. I am just interested in getting what Kerry meant exactly by "provocative". Is it good or not so good and in what way ?

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
              Where exactly?? (a link please) because when I go to the newsletter-archives
              (at http://www.chess.ca/cfc-newsletter-archive )
              it says the current issue (September-October) is for members only and it is not a link.
              Sorry, I was jumping the gun. It is the Nov issue that is freely available. I guess you'll have to find some alternate way to access it.

Comment

You mean Ken not Kerry, Jean. Provocative as in designed to provoke a response. In short, I don't think that article should have been published. Editor Porper should not have allowed writer Porper a platform to publish his thoughts about Olympian Porper's experience. I think it shows bad editorial judgment.
                Last edited by Ken Craft; Thursday, 25th October, 2012, 10:12 AM.

Comment

I guess you'll have to find some alternate way to access it.
                  After one month this September-October issue will become a "back" issue and it could be purchased for 1.5$ :)

Comment

Re : Re: Ccn

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
                    You mean Ken not Kerry, Jean. Provocative as in designed to provoke a response. In short, I don't think that article should have been published. Editor Porper should have have allowed writer Porper a platform to publish his thoughts about Olympian Porper's experience. I think it shows bad editorial judgment.
                    Thank you Ken. I see your point but I wonder if many people share that subjective view. Would that issue have been more interesting and more informative for readers without that article ? Or maybe the idea of providing interesting and, why not, provocative reading is beyond the mandate of the CCN editor ?

Comment

So what are your thoughts on the appropriateness of the article, Jean?

Comment

FLASH - CCN generates controversy! Value on the TSX rises!

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
                          So what are your thoughts on the appropriateness of the article, Jean?
                          Do you dispute the content or was the article "inconvenient"?
                          Gary Ruben
                          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                            Do you dispute the content or was the article "inconvenient"?
                            I have not read the article (I am waiting for the issue to be free for the public to read). In general, the editor of any publication (unless he or she is also the owner of the entity) is presumably accountable to the owners of the publication.

In this case, I would have to think that the editor is responsible to the CFC Executive? I do not think the magazine is 'proofed' by the Executive (but it may be). If the Executive don't pre-approve the contents, then I guess they get what they get.
                            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                              I have not read the article (I am waiting for the issue to be free for the public to read). In general, the editor of any publication (unless he or she is also the owner of the entity) is presumably accountable to the owners of the publication.

In this case, I would have to think that the editor is responsible to the CFC Executive? I do not think the magazine is 'proofed' by the Executive (but it may be). If the Executive don't pre-approve the contents, then I guess they get what they get.
                              I'm pretty sure it's done on a first draft basis. How else can you explain the amount of text that was written on that subject? It's obviously a major case of conflict of interest.
                              Shameless self-promotion on display here
                              http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Re: CCN - Editorial Independence

Hi Kerry:

Most editors will not allow the owners/publishers to " approve the contents " - editorial independence. I maintained this with Scarborough CC when I was the editor of Scarborouigh Community of Toronto Chess News & Views for 13 years.

Of course, this can lead to the editor being fired if a settlement on some topic cannot be reached.

My guess is that Edward believes in " editorial independence " too.

It is a different issue of the extent to which the editor should " cover him/herself ". That is a trickier one, and I found I did have to wrestle with that regularly, since I was active in chess in many different capacities.

Bob A
                                Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Thursday, 25th October, 2012, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X