Vote for 2008 Canadian Chess Player of the Year!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vote for 2008 Canadian Chess Player of the Year!

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
    Kevin Spraggett
    I read, Kevin asked to be removed from this poll. Probably, voters respected his will. (I can't find (cite) where I've read it.)

Comment

David,
      The web vote was a joke. Get real. I looked at the pole around 2 a.m. this morning, Hansen had something like a 100 vote lead, then Shiyam wins overnight. Do you really think these were actual fan votes?

As it didn't make any difference in the final outcome, who cares. Next time you should use email voting if you really want to know what chess players think.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Ficzere View Post
        David,
        The web vote was a joke. Get real. I looked at the pole around 2 a.m. this morning, Hansen had something like a 100 vote lead, then Shiyam wins overnight. Do you really think these were actual fan votes?

As it didn't make any difference in the final outcome, who cares. Next time you should use email voting if you really want to know what chess players think.
        Hold up and check again, son. Bluvshtein got 19 points and Hansen got 18. Duncan's script moved him to second from first, meaning the fan poll gave him three points instead of five.

It made ALL the difference.

Good suggestion about email voting. I wish someone had suggested that, say, immediately after the poll was posted so there had been time to switch to that format.
        everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

I sit corrected.

I know you suggested email voting, I agree with that. The whole thing is a farce, imo.

Comment

Congrats to Mark for winning the award! He is definitely the best Canadian player who actually lives in Canada!
            As to Eric, I think that if he would of been first on that poll and one the award that way, it would create even more dispute, so the poll actually got him closer to the award! In any case congrats to Eric as well for getting second place thats probably the first time for an Albertan!

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Ficzere View Post
              I sit corrected.

I know you suggested email voting, I agree with that. The whole thing is a farce, imo.
              I know that you know. ;) I was deriding Cohen.

I agree that it's a complete joke. It also stands to reason that if there had been even one journalist from Alberta, he would have nominated Eric.

But someone from Toronto unilaterally set this up, someone from Toronto rigged the poll, and someone from Toronto won the award. Congratulations to Mark! Toronto player of the year!

P.S. That was not a slight directed at Mark, but I'm sure that even he doesn't take the award that seriously given all that has happened.
              everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

My post was deleted. Presumably for swears. I'll reiterate:

Are you serious? Duncan's voting scripted actually screwed Hansen out of the title.

Well, I called that one. Congrats to Duncan! You're a computer programmer who keeps unseemly hours and you managed to cheat a 16-year-old out of an award!

Comment

Another pertinent point:

Hansen received 15 points from chess writers and 3 from the poll.
                  Shiyam received 1 point from chess writers and 5 from the poll.
                  Panjwani received 0 points from chess writers and 1 from the poll.

Comment

Ben, you are free to organize your own contest with more respect. Will you do that?

P.S. I'm willing to make a GAME contest. Will you(s) help me?

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                      Ben, you are free to organize your own contest with more respect. Will you do that?

P.S. I'm willing to make a GAME contest. Will you(s) help me?
                      I'm really not. Cohen has been doing this since 2003. He has the history associated with it. Isn't his award certified by the CFC? Besides, what am I going to do, re-email all those chess journalists and ask them to vote again? I don't believe that they were poor choices; I simply believe that a couple Alberta journalists should have been included.

As for a game contest, I think that's an interesting idea, but I really don't follow chess games close enough to have any useful input. If you meant help as in construct the poll, a beauty of ChessTalk is that such a feature is included. Email is another - perhaps superior, as it allows broader range it of people to vote - option, but it of course lacks transparency.

Comment

I have a few brief points to make. One, any one of the first 4 or 5 candidates would have been a good choice there was no clear favorite this year. If Eric had won a medal at WYCC he would have won the award in my opinion. He fell just short so it was an unclear decision.

Without the poll Eric still finishes same spot something Ben Daswani seems unaware of.
                        Now, on the topic of Ben. Ben has posted at least two items suggesting he advocates cheating to help his friend win the award. Not only is this highly unethical behaviour he would have tarnished the award for Eric if he had won as a result of that poll. Of course, Ben wouldn't care he clearly is more interested in the end result by any means.
                        Last edited by Duncan Smith; Monday, 8th December, 2008, 05:43 PM.

Comment

It is interesting to be accused of cheating by the only person on this thread who is an admitted cheat and seemingly quite proud of it. I don't think my one vote really mattered and I care far less who they chose then you do.
                          Last edited by Duncan Smith; Monday, 8th December, 2008, 07:55 PM.

Comment

David Cohen operates with far more respect of the process then Ben Daswani is capable of. Are you really that niave not to understand this ?

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
                              David Cohen operates with far more respect of the process then Ben Daswani is capable of. Are you really that niave not to understand this ?
                              Just don't tell me that the fan vote was very respectful :D

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                                I read, Kevin asked to be removed from this poll. Probably, voters respected his will. (I can't find (cite) where I've read it.)
                                I didn't know that. With Kevin's name still on the ballot he should certainly have received more votes than he did.

I'm not saying the person who won should not have won. My point is that Pascal and Kevin should have received more votes from the journalists than they did.
                                Gary Ruben
                                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                                X