The Women’s Chess System – Finally Time to Abolish It?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Women’s Chess System – Finally Time to Abolish It?

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
    The women's performance ratings at the 2012 Olympiad were 1948, 2007, 1971, 1886, and 1795. I hope we will soon START "sending expert level players to the Olympiad".
    The final table.

http://results.chessolympiadistanbul...&lan=1&flag=30
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Zeljko Kitich View Post
      Sure but how do we make sure a Dubois is not a Dubois by marriage only and really a Duboisinsky in Dubois disguise? :D:D
      Good point. One of Canada's IMs has a shortened version of his ancestors' name which I guess his grandfather changed when he came here because it was easier to pronounce.
      "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
        Go and organize. What does it stop you?
        Similar as Jean Hebert played and won a francophone championship.

As for equally: we still have separate washrooms - men and women, though family too :p
        1) No, because it would be a worthless title.

2) If the best argument you have is talk about washrooms then I see discussion is pointless. Bye.
        "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
          The women's performance ratings at the 2012 Olympiad were 1948, 2007, 1971, 1886, and 1795. I hope we will soon START "sending expert level players to the Olympiad".
          Hi John:

When I look at the stats you quote, and I look at the stats quoted by ChessBase:

" one woman in the top 100 players on the FIDE rating list, and ... just 2.2 percent of the top 1000 players [ are ] female "

I have to ask:

After more than one-half century of experimentation, can the supporters of the separate, parallel women's chess system claim it is a " success " ??

What do you think? Is the experiment a " success "?

Or has the women's system in fact retarded the chess development of women. I would note that the one woman in the top hundred referred to by ChessBase is the highest-rated woman chess player ever, Judit Polgar....and she has forever, since starting playing, refused to play in the separate, parallel women's chess system, and she is history's most successful woman player!! Coincidence??

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
            2) If the best argument you have is talk about washrooms then I see discussion is pointless. Bye.
            "Finally Time to Abolish It?" - the title is pointless too. While there are men who design dresses and shoes for women, there are organizers who run women chess. Will you start legal actions against them? ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
              Judit Polgar....and she has forever, since starting playing, refused to play in the separate, parallel women's chess system, and she is history's most successful woman player!!
              Myth for "forever". She played in the 1990 Women Olympiad.

Comment

Hi Egis:

The issue is not to restraint the freedom of organizers by prohibiting them from running Women's Tournaments.

The issue is to stop the formal chess infrastructure and organizations from providing the framework - separate women's rating lists eliminated ( including for junior girls ); Can. chess organizations sponsoring of separate tournaments stopped ( eg. The Canadian Women's Closed sponsored by the CFC ; stop awarding girls titles - eg. U 8 Can. Girls Champion; also, like the Toronto Women's Championship sponsored by the GTCL - by the way, look at the participant's ratings; etc. )

The issue is whether this plan will in fact end up helping women develop in chess more than the current, failing separate parallel women's system. Playing in the open system will actually speed up their improvement, because they will be spending less time playing in weak women's sections, where numbers of games are against low-rated women, which will contribute little to advancement ( and give them a false sense of confidence in their game ).

Bob A
                Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Wednesday, 7th November, 2012, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Hi Egis:

Thx for the correction - it should be that she " rarely " played in the separate women's system.

It is my recollection that she played more for the Hungarian National Olympiad teams. Can someone confirm this?

Bob A

Comment

Hi Egis:

The issue is not to restraint the freedom of organizers by prohibiting them from running Women's Tournaments.

The issue is to stop the formal chess infrastructure and organizations from providing the framework - separate women's rating lists eliminated ( including for junior girls; also like the Toronto Women's Championship sponsored by the GTCL - by the way, look at the participant's ratings ); Can. chess organizations sponsoring of separate tournaments stopped ( eg. The Canadian Women's Closed ; stop awarding girls titles - U 8 Can. Girls Champion; etc. )

The issue is whether this plan will in fact end up helping women develop in chess more than the current, failing separate parallel women's system.

Bob A
                    Quite simply, it would either force women to become stronger chess players or they would all stop playing because they'd never win a prize, represent their country, nor be a world champion.

BTW: if the male & female FIDE rating lists for Canada were combined (active players) then the lists would be identical except for the addition of Natalia Khoudgarian.

There is only one woman (currently active) who has ever had a FIDE rating over 2050 in Canada, and that is Natalia. As a country, this is unimpressive to say the least.

Comment

Or has the women's system in fact retarded the chess development of women. I would note that the one woman in the top hundred referred to by ChessBase is the highest-rated woman chess player ever, Judit Polgar....and she has forever, since starting playing, refused to play in the separate, parallel women's chess system, and she is history's most successful woman player!! Coincidence??

Bob A
                      Let's not forget Vera Menchik. She was very successful when a bomb hit her house in 1944 killing her at age 38. Euwe lost to her twice.
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

The issue is whether this plan will in fact end up helping women develop in chess more than the current, failing separate parallel women's system. Playing in the open system will actually speed up their improvement, because they will be spending less time playing in weak women's sections
                        There are so little women tournaments in Canada, there is no wasting time.

Comment

Originally posted by Aman Hambleton View Post
                          There is only one woman (currently active) who has ever had a FIDE rating over 2050 in Canada, and that is Natalia. As a country, this is unimpressive to say the least.
                          Nava Starr was our best female player.
                          Gary Ruben
                          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Yuanling Yuan is active too (not on the FIDE rating list but at the US league). Rating 2220.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                              Yuanling Yuan is active too (not on the FIDE rating list but at the US league). Rating 2220.
                              If she's active in the US league, you should quote the rating adjusted from those tournaments. If she's active in FIDE, you should quote her FIDE rating. She hasn't played a FIDE rated game for two years now.

When I say "(currently active)" I mean currently active in the rating system I'm quoting statistics from.
                              Last edited by Aman Hambleton; Wednesday, 7th November, 2012, 04:23 PM. Reason: a bit too obvious

Comment

Re : Re: The Women’s Chess System – Finally Time to Abolish It?

You've overlooked Yuanling Yuan, Aman. She has a current FIDE rating of 2220.

Tangentially, I'll add the comment that Yuanling seldom participated in girls only events. Perhaps that is one of the reasons she became the top ranked female in Canada.

Comment

Working...
                                X